LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Realistic what could....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by redrathman:
our team look like right now if we had good ownership and GM making decisions the last 4 years with Free Agency and Trades? Not counting the drafts because no one really know how they would turn out.

I would be very happy if we acted on
QB- Brees,McNaab
WR- Bring TO home,houshmanzadah,Jackson,Moss,Boldin
CB- Cromartie...I just always liked him cause of his speed
KR/PR Leon Washington was a bargain

I think 1 player from each position could've really made a difference for us.

You're arguing that because the team didn't trade for or sign every player that the other 31 teams did, the team is worse off?

In what world does this type of reasoning seem sane?

How about attempting to get some players thru trade or if it's from free agency to actually get a player that can play. I was just simply stating some player that were released or traded at one point for almost nothing we didn't even attempt because our GM,Head coach and scouts are incompetent. I didn't claim that we could've got every single one, I was angry because they seem satisfied or convinced that we have good players. It also said acted on some players! I never said why didn't we get all the good free agent players or trade for all!

Drew Brees was a free agent in 2006. At the time, the 49ers had just drafted Alex Smith just one year prior with the first pick. How financially and physically realistic would it have been for the team to sign Brees to a long term contract (as offered by New Orleans and Miami) while Smith was still on the roster?

You can't definitively determine the success of a franchise had they selected / signed / acquired one particular player listed above. It's easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback when the dust settles, isn't it?
  • titan
  • Veteran
our team look like right now if we had good ownership and GM making decisions the last 4 years with Free Agency and Trades? Not counting the drafts because no one really know how they would turn out.

QB- Brees,McNaab

You're arguing that because the team didn't trade for or sign every player that the other 31 teams did, the team is worse off?

How about attempting to get some players thru trade or if it's from free agency to actually get a player that can play. I was just simply stating some player that were released or traded at one point for almost nothing we didn't even attempt because our GM,Head coach and scouts are incompetent. I didn't claim that we could've got every single one, I was angry because they seem satisfied or convinced that we have good players. It also said acted on some players! I never said why didn't we get all the good free agent players or trade for all!

Drew Brees was a free agent in 2006. At the time, the 49ers had just drafted Alex Smith just one year prior with the first pick. How financially and physically realistic would it have been for the team to sign Brees to a long term contract (as offered by New Orleans and Miami) while Smith was still on the roster?

You can't definitively determine the success of a franchise had they selected / signed / acquired one particular player listed above. It's easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback when the dust settles, isn't it?

A smart GM would of signed Brees and traded the 1st Rd pick. Instead we forced the pick on Smith and look where we are now. What are you talking about Monday morning QB! A DumA$$ would even know Brees was a Damn good QB! So you really can't tell a good free agent or you just like to talk out the A$$?
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

QB- Brees,McNaab

A smart GM would of signed Brees and traded the 1st Rd pick. Instead we forced the pick on Smith and look where we are now. What are you talking about Monday morning QB! A DumA$$ would even know Brees was a Damn good QB! So you really can't tell a good free agent or you just like to talk out the A$$?

Easy on the language there. Make sure you're not inciting or insulting or you'll get warned.

FWIW, hindsight is always 20/20 and signing Brees would have been tantamount to admitting failure with Smith after one incomplete season.

Funny that 29 other teams didn't run after Brees either, INCLUDING the team he played for (San Diego). It was Miami and the Saints.

So does that mean that 29 other teams missed it? Not really. A FA signing requires three things to happen: The team needs the player, the player wants to be on the team and finally the team needs to pay the player.

If you ever listen to Brees talk about his decision, he says that Miami actually offered more money, but NO "felt" right.

You can say we should have done everything in the world, but reality is more complicated.
It's funny how many people get angry at threads like this.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar:

QB- Brees,McNaab

Easy on the language there. Make sure you're not inciting or insulting or you'll get warned.

FWIW, hindsight is always 20/20 and signing Brees would have been tantamount to admitting failure with Smith after one incomplete season.

Funny that 29 other teams didn't run after Brees either, INCLUDING the team he played for (San Diego). It was Miami and the Saints.

So does that mean that 29 other teams missed it? Not really. A FA signing requires three things to happen: The team needs the player, the player wants to be on the team and finally the team needs to pay the player.

If you ever listen to Brees talk about his decision, he says that Miami actually offered more money, but NO "felt" right.

You can say we should have done everything in the world, but reality is more complicated.

My bad! he was annoying me on Monday Morning QB comment! I don't care about other 29 teams we had a QB problem(just talking about QB position)and SD had a good problem with a QB battle. With just the QB position alone we baby sat our problem too long! Even when a good QB becomes available we go after backups.
Share 49ersWebzone