LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Josh Morgan: "Nothing is Alex's fault."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
what do you think he's going to say? If he says otherwise, Singletary will whoop his ass, and so will the Public Relations staff. He's walking the party line. Wait until Smith is gone, and then ask the players what they thought. Even then, you probably won't get honest answers. Only players like TO have the balls to say that kind of stuff, and other players are smart enough to stay out of that kind of trouble.

I love TO but are you kidding me? That guy blamed everyone but himself. I hope you're joking.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Those two int's and that intentional grounding totally weren't his fault Sunday.

Obviously everything isn't his fault, but saying nothing is his fault is flat out moronic.

The 2 picks were f**king stupid and made me want him sent to the bench but the IT Grounding was a bad call, Gore was like 4 yards away and taking a sack would've been just as bad. I don't put that one on him. We got screwed by the refs right there.

Not buying it, that was definitely INT grounding.

Dude I could see Gore like 4 yards away. Yeah he was obviously throwing it to avoid the sack, but still the ball ended up in the same place it would have if it was a botched screen pass(which I believe it actually was). That is not called as IT grounding probably over half the time. And if he takes the sack it has the same effect. Since it's a screen pass he can't throw it out of bounds to the sideline because there probably wasn't any WRs deep and that'd be illegal too I believe(since you have to have a target). I remember being f**king pissed when they called grounding on it. Either way it was a s**t call that lost us the game and the QB is in a no win position there, whether it's Smith or Matt Ryan or whoever.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
What do you expect him to say? If someone asks him about Smith he's not going to say, "yea the dude sucks, he overthrew me for a sure TD."

We'll see if Capt. Checkdown can make some plays down the field this week. I actually think he *might*.

Capt. Checkdown completes more Passes than you could ever complete in your life.

I don't remember people having a problem when Joe and Steve threw slants.

But Alex does it and he gets anointed with "Capt. Checkdown"

You guys would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

~Ceadder

27th in the league in average yds per pass attempt = Captain Checkdown
[ Edited by LeadFarmer on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What do you expect him to say? If someone asks him about Smith he's not going to say, "yea the dude sucks, he overthrew me for a sure TD."

We'll see if Capt. Checkdown can make some plays down the field this week. I actually think he *might*.

I expect him to say, "I can only do my job out there." Or.. "Alex knows what he needs to do." Or virtually anything along those lines, saying in the nicest way that he thinks the quarterback could be doing better.

Leath, I'm sick of people using the expression, "What do you expect him to say?" -- It's complete and utter bull crap. Morgan doesn't owe Smith jack squat. Why on earth would he so vehemently defend Smith? We're not talking about just any old defense here, my friend. He flat out said Smith has nothing to do with our problems.

If Smith were so awful, wouldn't he want to make hints that he's (or the team is) losing faith in him so he could be benched for someone else? We don't see that. We see zero indication. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Something's wrong with this picture.

You can take his comments however you want OTC but the fact is, on the field, Smith doesn't perform up to standard. Even if you're right (not likely, lol ) and Morgan is ACTUALLY defending Smith, who cares? Smith still threw 2 bonehead INTs this past weekend and played another game of pitch and catch to Frank Gore. Anyone notice that Frank Gore is like top 5 in the NFL in receptions? Bravo to Gore but that shouldn't be the case when we have weapons on the outside.

To the quote...if Josh Morgan has something to say I'd much rather him say it inside a meeting than to the media so we can have yet another distraction. Why would you expect him to "hint" things to the media? That's not professional.

Just because Morgan didn't lay Smith out to dry to the media doesn't constitute evidence that Smith hasn't been "awful."

But forget about comments...is anyone really ready to say that Smith has played even AVERAGE football thus far? No, because he hasn't. Nothing anyone says can change that.
He obviously hasn't had unprotected sex with TO and caught the "big mouth virus"
"Nothing" is Alex's fault?

That is as stupid, as a comment can be.

Alex definately has had some "faults" so far this year. A circus monkey could watch the games and make that observation...

I expect him to say, "I can only do my job out there." Or.. "Alex knows what he needs to do." Or virtually anything along those lines, saying in the nicest way that he thinks the quarterback could be doing better.

Leath, I'm sick of people using the expression, "What do you expect him to say?" -- It's complete and utter bull crap. Morgan doesn't owe Smith jack squat. Why on earth would he so vehemently defend Smith? We're not talking about just any old defense here, my friend. He flat out said Smith has nothing to do with our problems.

If Smith were so awful, wouldn't he want to make hints that he's (or the team is) losing faith in him so he could be benched for someone else? We don't see that. We see zero indication. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Something's wrong with this picture.

You can take his comments however you want OTC but the fact is, on the field, Smith doesn't perform up to standard. Even if you're right (not likely, lol ) and Morgan is ACTUALLY defending Smith, who cares? Smith still threw 2 bonehead INTs this past weekend and played another game of pitch and catch to Frank Gore. Anyone notice that Frank Gore is like top 5 in the NFL in receptions? Bravo to Gore but that shouldn't be the case when we have weapons on the outside.

To the quote...if Josh Morgan has something to say I'd much rather him say it inside a meeting than to the media so we can have yet another distraction. Why would you expect him to "hint" things to the media? That's not professional.

Just because Morgan didn't lay Smith out to dry to the media doesn't constitute evidence that Smith hasn't been "awful."

But forget about comments...is anyone really ready to say that Smith has played even AVERAGE football thus far? No, because he hasn't. Nothing anyone says can change that.

I hope you've gathered that I've clearly made this post for nothing more than to provoke thought.

My initial reaction with what I read was, "Something's wrong with this picture." And something is strange here, indeed. No question. You don't see me defending Smith is any of these posts in this thread. In fact, I'm saying, after what appear to be subpar performances in 3/4 games? this season, why would Morgan give such incredibly strong words of support This was no beating-around-the-bush comment. This was an "all the doubts are wrong" kind of staunch retort. It doesn't fit.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM ]
You never throw your team mates under the bus.
This team plays with such a small margin for error. Alex makes a mistake and it costs the game. Most of his miscues kills drives and it seems to be the same mistakes over and over again. The real problem is the organization cannot rate or teach QBs. Looking back I knocked Nolan to no end, but with hindsight he did bring in McCarthy and Norv Turner, it was not his fault that they didn't stick around. Alex has shown that he folds in the pocket and management always has his back. He's a drive killer.

I agree with this, and plus you can't bite the hand that feeds, especially if you're a wr.

Capt. Checkdown completes more Passes than you could ever complete in your life.

~Ceadder

Joe and Steve got 1st downs, kept the chains moving, and scored. Alex Smith does not. See the difference?
Originally posted by RDB4216:

~Ceadder

Joe and Steve got 1st downs, kept the chains moving, and scored. Alex Smith does not. See the difference?

Alex Smith just needs more 3rd down throws!!!

Practice makes perfect!
If we have any chance of turning this thing around then that's what we need to hear. Although I won't agree and say "nothing that is happening is Smith's fault" because a lot of it it is. Not everything but we all know what good QB play can translate to and Smith has been anything but.

Everyone knows how I feel about Alex but if he can get his head out of his ass and man up for a few games we can build some confidence as a team and take this division by default.

Who knows where we go from there

The reason he's been "Capt. Checkdown" this year is simple:nobody's really getting open.
Last year he was hitting receivers down field often,especially V.Davis.

Davis needs to find a way to beat the double coverage and maybe putting Crabs in motion would help.Lack of speed at the WR positions is a problem.Getting T.Ginn back to stretch the field should also help.

All we can do is hope for the best

Go Niners
LUUUUUUULLzzzzzzzz
Share 49ersWebzone