There are 309 users in the forums

Steve Young on KNBR... must listen...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by boast:
Steve Young has always been political about his criticism of Alex Smith. He's ripped SMith quite a few times since 2005, and has received criticism for it (primarily from the Niner fanbase).

The reality is that as a QB, you're expected to make decisions. Again, lets not forget that Smith is a 6 YEAR VETERAN, not a rookie. He shouldnt have to look at Sing everytime he's behind center, and ask for his approval when calling plays.

Steve is indirectly attacking Smith.....and justifiably so.

what interview are you making up in your head? Steve DIRECTLY said Alex is a good player and that the coaching staff, specifically MS, is likely the reason for the below standard offensive play. he wants Alex to just "let it rip!"

indirectly!?!?! jesus christ Z.

See bolded statements. A 6 year veteran being held back by his coaches. Why ? Cause he doesnt want to displease them, so he does exactly what they tell him to.

Right.....

If someone payed you 5 million a year, what would you do?

A: anything they told you to do

B: tell them to piss off and do you own thing

Anybody that says "B" is full of chit...
  • dj43
Another thread that has turned into an Alex Smith thread.

Doesn't anyone remember the parts of the interview where Young noted that there are "several other guys" who are playing below the standard? Or where he noted that coaching and the environment good coaching provides plays a huge role in the outcome of the games?

Young noted near the beginning of the interview that the 49ers are so "tight" right now that he didn't know if they could play well. This starts from a coach that is so tight that he is constantly on the officials about every close call, often running out onto the field to yell at players or officials, is so tight he cannot exhibit the common sportsmanship function of shaking hands with the opposing coach after the game. All of these things weigh heavily on the players. It is hard to "let it rip" under those conditions.

I like Mike Singletary as a person but his temperment and lack of experience are a central issue with the failure of this team to achieve anything close to expectations.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tn9er:
He shouldnt have to look at Sing everytime he's behind center, and ask for his approval when calling plays.

And just where did you come up with this "Masterfull" deduction???

LINK!!!

Remember when Alex called the audible last week that Gore was able to convert for a first down. Remember how all of NT went into a frenzy in the gameday thread, praising Smith for reading the defense successfully.

Remember the last time he did something like that before the Falcons game ?

Yeah, me neither.

So, your finally ready to admit that Alex is doing everything that he is told to do, which supports the fact that the COACHS suck...
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Doesn't anyone remember the parts of the interview where Young noted that there are "several other guys" who are playing below the standard? Or where he noted that coaching and the environment good coaching provides plays a huge role in the outcome of the games?

Young noted near the beginning of the interview that the 49ers are so "tight" right now that he didn't know if they could play well. This starts from a coach that is so tight that he is constantly on the officials about every close call, often running out onto the field to yell at players or officials, is so tight he cannot exhibit the common sportsmanship function of shaking hands with the opposing coach after the game. All of these things weigh heavily on the players. It is hard to "let it rip" under those conditions.

I like Mike Singletary as a person but his temperment and lack of experience are a central issue with the failure of this team to achieve anything close to expectations.

We need a "Bellhop" moment...
  • dj43
Originally posted by boast:
Steve Young has always been political about his criticism of Alex Smith. He's ripped SMith quite a few times since 2005, and has received criticism for it (primarily from the Niner fanbase).

The reality is that as a QB, you're expected to make decisions. Again, lets not forget that Smith is a 6 YEAR VETERAN, not a rookie. He shouldnt have to look at Sing everytime he's behind center, and ask for his approval when calling plays.

Steve is indirectly attacking Smith.....and justifiably so.

what interview are you making up in your head? Steve DIRECTLY said Alex is a good player and that the coaching staff, specifically MS, is likely the reason for the below standard offensive play. he wants Alex to just "let it rip!"

indirectly!?!?! jesus christ Z.

See bolded statements. A 6 year veteran being held back by his coaches. Why ? Cause he doesnt want to displease them, so he does exactly what they tell him to.

Right.....

If someone payed you 5 million a year, what would you do?

A: anything they told you to do

B: tell them to piss off and do you own thing

Anybody that says "B" is full of chit...
You are right. Players do have to follow what coaches tell them. However, this is where good coaching enters the picture. Coaches MUST create an environment where the players can go out and play without the restrictions imposed by overly conservative coaches. That was part of the message Young was sending yesterday.
Frickin A, Alex!!!! THROW IT LIKE THIS AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!!!!!

Here's to more of these!!!!!
  • 9r4lf
Couple things: I freakin' love Steve Young! My youngest son's middle name is Young! Second, why, after all of these years, do the head coaches/owners of the 9rs not have a guy like Young in there to support them? What about Montana? Lott? Davis? These are Superbowl, Pro Bowl players!

And for Smith, Young was right on. Alex is like a scared cat. WIth anything in life, if you try to not make a mistake, it will surely happen. I think Alex is so afraid to lose, that he can't win.

9r4lf
what a great broadcast. I love steve young. He has his opinion, but doesn't act like he knows everything, and takes accountability for saying he needs to go to 49er central and check things out.

He's right about a lot of the "little things" he says that annoy everybody. I thought those people would be Willis, and Davis, and Gore.

Hopefully, someone steps up.
Originally posted by 9r4lf:
Couple things: I freakin' love Steve Young! My youngest son's middle name is Young! Second, why, after all of these years, do the head coaches/owners of the 9rs not have a guy like Young in there to support them? What about Montana? Lott? Davis? These are Superbowl, Pro Bowl players!

And for Smith, Young was right on. Alex is like a scared cat. WIth anything in life, if you try to not make a mistake, it will surely happen. I think Alex is so afraid to lose, that he can't win.

9r4lf

Sure do wish he and Alex could connect on the phone or something a few times.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

We need a "Bellhop" moment...

Yep, that was a classic bit of Bill Walsh genius to keep a young team loose before the biggest stage of their careers.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM ]

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
wow it IS a coaching issue.......never thought of it like that.

u know what... I think we should get rid of Sing... it has been the coaching all these years as to why Alex has struggled.....damn these defensive minded head coaches...we should have kept Dennis Erickson and drafted Alex.

I say we bring in an offensive minded head coach and it would only be fair for Alex that we give him another 2 years...maybe 3.

who is with me?

LOL, Alex's purest issue is that he needs a 5-star OC to puppeteer him (like Norv did), cause he can't think for himself (and that was sadly one of the biggest reasons Nolan chose him over Aaron Rodgers).

wouldn't you think Alex would be much better than he is now if he had Mike McCarthy these last 6 years like Aaron Rodgers have had?
Alex Smith just isn't a good QB.

It doesn't matter if he get's "fired up" or "let's it rip".

The results will still be the same.

This team/org is in deep crap.

Doesn't really matter how Mike Johnson does as our OC. Sing is getting fired
after the season and another new regime will be in place.

What a mess.

Never been on board w/Smith and have always been leery of Sing's ability as a head coach. Never thought it would be the dumpster fire its turned out to be though. -End random rant.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 9r4lf:

9r4lf

Sure do wish he and Alex could connect on the phone or something a few times.
Young also noted that he should have a long talk with Mike Singletary.

I know this irritates the anti-Smith group but for all of his career, the HC has been telling him to just "manage the game," do not try to win it all on your own. That kind of constant mandate does put a QB, and a team, in a very tight mode. It takes time to get out of that mindset. Training sets in very strongly after a couple of years of that.

As a personal testimony, throughout my time as a soccer coach, I preached an open, attacking brand of play. I would rather lose 5-4 than 1-0. At least we would have the joy of scoring 4 goals. As a result of that philosophy, a lot of kids transferred into our HS district, or chose to play on the club team I coached, BECAUSE of that philosophy = it was fun to play without those tight conditions. As a result, I also got a lot of good defenders who enjoyed that environment as well. We won a LOT of games.

When I moved to Modesto I took over a HS team that had been trained to play a very conservative style. It took me over half the season to get those teenagers out of that mindset. They repeatedly passed up good opportunities to send the ball down the field for fear of losing possession. Finally in a game that was particularly slow moving, under my repeated urging, one of the mids sent a long ball into the box and a teammate headed it home. Everyone was excited but it still took a couple more games before that mentality began to permeate our entire team.

I cite this anecdotal bit to perhaps provide some insight into how deep a coaching philosophy can settle into players and how hard it is to get out of that mindset in the pressure of a game. The change in mindset MUST start from the coach. It CANNOT start from the players. If it does, it quickly leads to the players disregarding other things the coaches say and it is all downhill from there. It must start from the coach. In this case, Singletary needs to let both Smith and Johnson know that it is OK to check out of a between the tackles run, or to take a chance and throw the ball down the field. It all starts from MS. It may take time to break the pattern but the change must start now.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
it is a coaching issue, singletary has no f**king business to poke his damn head in offensive meetings or offensive gameplans. his ass needs to focus on clock management and the only thing he can do motivate

I second this!!!! IT IS NOT ALL ALEX FAULT!!![/b]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by prometheus:
What Young is saying is saying is Singletary is a grade A nincompoop and best left out in the Amazon with 100 ft snakes. He can punch them in the mouth. Singletary is a frustrated hell and brimstone demagogue with an endless loop recording. One wonders how someone so inept can cause every function of the team to be bad. One thing we should consider is that having talent and some decent coaches, just how f**ked up an idiot is Singletary to get the results he is getting? I would say he is one of the dumbest most useless coaches ever. Steve obviously believes Singletary is a major detriment to the team but just eliminating him from the offense is not enough.
He screws up the game plans both offense and defense, he cannot strategize at any level, he is ill prepared and as shown is about as organized as the federal government, he is outsmarted so easily and constantly and so blatantly
he should go out there bare ass naked and show all his cards. He has nothing else to expose.

Did actually LISTEN to the interview?!

It was very insightful! You might learn something!

When he talked about the offense in his years kicking Seifert out of the room and when he talked about Alex being too tight for fear of making mistakes, he was making a clear reference to Sing attempting to instill his conservative defensive mentality on offensive players with negative results.

YES, it was a criticism of Sing, but it wasn't all black and white, like you make it sound. It suggested some real avenues for improvement!

The most interesting thing he brought up (besides the whole Smith/Sing thing) was in reference to the Nate Clements play: he got to talking about veteran leadership and standards. His reference to Ray Lewis was fascinating! Every fan should listen to this! In fact, so should every Niner player and coach!

That's what I was hoping for- that the team would have the chance to hear this radio interview. It doesn't matter how much we talk about it.
What are the chances that the team heard it or not? Im here on the East coast so im not sure how a lot works with the organization, how in tune they are with the local media. I believe KNBR is pretty big there in SF and with Steve Young doing an interview on his opinion, maybe it would be streamed live in Santa Clara at the facility. What are the chances? Definitely would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks guys

Maybe some feedback from anyone in SF, thanks
Share 49ersWebzone