LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 365 users in the forums

Steve Young on KNBR... must listen...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Johnson said there are times when quarterback Alex Smith needs to take more risks down the field.

"The way the game went last week, we had certain plays designed to go down the field," Johnson said.

Read more: 49ers Notebook: Johnson Wants to See Big Plays
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

You really think we're that dumb? Here's the article:

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/johnson-niners.html

Way to remove context.

that's how haters operate.

damn a noob chin checking a vet

yeah that was a good one, right. even for a noob
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Originally posted by fc0828:
Steve did a great job explaining the problem witht he niners as he sees it... He nailed it, saying smith is playing tight... And Sing needs to leave the offense alone....

http://knbr.com/OnKNBR680/RazorandMrT/tabid/595/Default.aspx

Click on the link for Steve Young Oct 6

It's quite clear
there's no "between the lines"
Steve is pointing singletary
And i agree with what he said : defensive minded HC leave the offense alone

Mark Sanchez is doing fine.

A few years ago, when Steve said he still needs to see Alex make an NFL throw, everyone who was making excuses ignored that comment. Steve is now saying Alex isn't making the proper NFL reads and it has to do with the mentality that is instilled in him due to the head coach.

NFL coaches will always be forceful personalities. Their job is on the line every season and they will go down with the ship their way.

If Smith can't handle it, then he can't handle the NFL.
The Jets are a good example of how a team CAN succeed with a HC with a defense background.

The Jets have Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach, a guy who played in the NFL at QB and a very bright rep for details and fine-tuning a QB.

Henry Ellard, one of the best WRs not in the HOF teaching the WRs.

And Brian Schottenheimer as OC with a long pedigree for attack oriented offense.

THAT is how you build an offense if you have a defensive-minded HC. Let's hope Mike Johnson is the second coming of Mike Shanahan.

you don't compare ryan and sing don't you ?

there's one slight difference between the two : ryan actualy knows about X and O's while sing ... what does he know about but linebacking ? He never went behond LB coach and here in SF he's just managing the team ... and we all see the beautiful result
Nice jab from Steve to sing
And probably more coming until the end of the season (if he survives another 12 games but unfortunately i think he will because baby jed will let him do so)

There are many examples of QB's coming onto a low level to marginal team (2-6 wins) and turning them into playoff contenders more than there are hardly any examples of any other player coming onto an offense and making a huge difference.

-Favre with a 4 win Jets team coached by Mangini takes them to the top of the division until he hurt his shoulder.
-Favre vastly improves the MIN offense last year.
-The Pats sucked prior to acquire Bledsoe and then couldn't get over the hump until a better QB came along.
-Same goes for the Cowboys. They sucked with Bledsoe until Romo began to start.
-Montana on the Chiefs.
-Garcia leaving the 49ers.
-Eagles got to the Superbowl without TO.

Give me some examples of a WR coming onto a team and helping that team make it to the playoffs.

I'm going to root for Alex Smith to play well every Sunday, but don't fool yourself into thinking our offense will magically perform better with the acquisition of a deep ball threat WR. This offense will perform well without Alex Smith if Gore has a good game, but this offense will perform top 10 level if the QB plays well more than the receivers.
So I have come up with the best possible strategy here so listen up...

Absolutely ALL we have to do is, have AT LEAST 1 more point than the other team when the clock hits 00:00 in the 4th quarter. If we can do that, we'll be in the playoffs in no time.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
STOP WITH THE CHECKDOWNS SMITH!!!

no WONDER we're almost DEAD last in points PER GAME!!!!!!!

uh, the discussion we have been having is how much of that is the direct result of the offensive philosophy of Mike Singletary and how much latitude Smith has been given.

We all agree the offense needs to open up (all that is except Singletary apparently).

uhhhhhhhhhh, I'm still standing by what I said considering we passed MORE and opened up MORE last game and smith STILL checked it down.
Except that you can't see who was open and what the instructions have been from Singletary and the staff.

We know Atlanta, and other teams, have made specific adjustments during the off-season to take away Vernon Davis. We also know that opponents are very comfortable with man coverage on both Crabtree and Morgan. That leaves a safety and a linebacker free to either attack the LOS or double any of the receivers. What is left? Do you want Smith to take even more chances to throw to receivers that are not open?

This is all very circular. I'm out on all the Smith/Singletary stuff. Time to move on.

Exactly, you can't see either who was open and what the instructions were from Singletary and the staff too. Yet you're saying opponents are comfortable with playing man coverage on our receivers, and claim that's exactly what they did that entire game.

So then how the hell do YOU know they weren't open And how the hell do you know Singletary instructed Smith to always go to the checkdown? Smith needs to do exactly as S.Young said and let'er rip, and just let loose.
You can almost always tell the coverage by the pre-snap read. Teams that play a lot of man typically do so because they feel they can cover without the use of a second defender = no respect for the receiver.

We DO know what Singletary has instructed, or at least said he has instructed, the QB to do = focus on getting the ball into Gore's hands. It isn't rocket science to deduce the plan from there.

I'm saying how do you know there were no receivers open at all on Sunday. We're you the QB? No. Did you see the pre-snap read from Alex's perspective? No. Yeah, and of course we KNOW what Sing has instructed, but that has all changed since Mike Johnson has taken over. And how do YOU know what he instructed was still in FULL effect last Sunday? You don't... You're all speculation.

sounds like you
Originally posted by fly15:

uh, the discussion we have been having is how much of that is the direct result of the offensive philosophy of Mike Singletary and how much latitude Smith has been given.

We all agree the offense needs to open up (all that is except Singletary apparently).

uhhhhhhhhhh, I'm still standing by what I said considering we passed MORE and opened up MORE last game and smith STILL checked it down.
Except that you can't see who was open and what the instructions have been from Singletary and the staff.

We know Atlanta, and other teams, have made specific adjustments during the off-season to take away Vernon Davis. We also know that opponents are very comfortable with man coverage on both Crabtree and Morgan. That leaves a safety and a linebacker free to either attack the LOS or double any of the receivers. What is left? Do you want Smith to take even more chances to throw to receivers that are not open?

This is all very circular. I'm out on all the Smith/Singletary stuff. Time to move on.

Exactly, you can't see either who was open and what the instructions were from Singletary and the staff too. Yet you're saying opponents are comfortable with playing man coverage on our receivers, and claim that's exactly what they did that entire game.

So then how the hell do YOU know they weren't open And how the hell do you know Singletary instructed Smith to always go to the checkdown? Smith needs to do exactly as S.Young said and let'er rip, and just let loose.
You can almost always tell the coverage by the pre-snap read. Teams that play a lot of man typically do so because they feel they can cover without the use of a second defender = no respect for the receiver.

We DO know what Singletary has instructed, or at least said he has instructed, the QB to do = focus on getting the ball into Gore's hands. It isn't rocket science to deduce the plan from there.

I'm saying how do you know there were no receivers open at all on Sunday. We're you the QB? No. Did you see the pre-snap read from Alex's perspective? No. Yeah, and of course we KNOW what Sing has instructed, but that has all changed since Mike Johnson has taken over. And how do YOU know what he instructed was still in FULL effect last Sunday? You don't... You're all speculation.

sounds like you

Nope, I do my best to go off of pure fact. You, on the other hand, post one worded posts/smilies that provide no relevance to topics other than making your ignorance more shiny.
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
So I have come up with the best possible strategy here so listen up...

Absolutely ALL we have to do is, have AT LEAST 1 more point than the other team when the clock hits 00:00 in the 4th quarter. If we can do that, we'll be in the playoffs in no time.

I think the biggest factor of us being 3-1 as opposed to 0-4 is turnovers.

Yes, the offense could play better with better QB play but at the end of the day, the offense hasn't really tanked it: it has turned it over. Same goes for the defense. The defense has had key turnovers. Same thing goes for special teams.

When all three facets of the team is turning the ball over, 0-4.

It's not that we are playing crappy (QB INTs aside), we are just fumbling the damn ball. I can just hear Chris Berman summing up our season so far; "fumbling bumbling stumbling...
  • fly15
  • Veteran

sounds like you

Nope, I do my best to go off of pure fact. You, on the other hand, post one worded posts/smilies that provide no relevance to topics other than making your ignorance more shiny.

sounds like you

Point made. Case [/closed]
Share 49ersWebzone