There are 158 users in the forums

Scouts view of niner's draft strategy/success

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.playmakermobile.com/blog/2010/07/san-francisco-49ers-and-oakland-raiders-scouting-report-alex-smith-jason-campbell-darrius-heywardbey.html

Many here don't like Dave Razzano because he said the niners won't make the playoffs with a guy like Alex Smith at QB. Boy was he ever proven wrong! Anyways, he's a real scout, and a good one at that. Worth reading his comments.
I hate that guy!!! He's a Douche Bag! I could care less what he has to say about the niners. He may have been right about Alex but he still a douche.
"On any other team he’d have been cut..."

That's the truth son!!
It's true. If not for the 49ers, Alex would be out of football. Face the facts. A lot of people here live in denial.
Originally posted by greywolf447:
I hate that guy!!! He's a Douche Bag! I could care less what he has to say about the niners. He may have been right about Alex but he still a douche.

He's a douche how? Because he doesn't see us as a playoff team? Do you see us as a playoff team right now? The guy is right. Plain and simple
An how come he isn't saying anything we DO know.

Like if you protect the QB then he gets comfortable in the Pocket and takes more chances downfield?

OR

That Smith when he's running the 2 minute drill and allowed to call his own plays is pretty damned solid.

This agent Tool is a frigging Liar.

He and the Rams NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER HAD THE CONVERSATION THAT HE SAYS THEY DID. The Rams were picking 19th that year.

Say we didn't pick a QB and instead when with Braylon Edwards(who I wanted but am now kind of glad we didn't take) that's 17 other teams that were ahead of them.

They ALSO had JUST committed to Bulger as their Franchise QB.

Instead we DID take Smith(easily could have been Rodgers who priced himself out of our pick) and Rodgers slid to where? To the Packers the pick after St. Clueless at 20.

This guy just wants to remain relevant so he's taking cheap shots at our guy because he's newsworthy.

f**k THAT PUNKASS. Can't believe so many people are falling for that pathetic crap. Why don't you all do me a favor and buy tix to fly with that fool and scrounge up the talent that he does. Bob the Seive St. Claire (No not our Bob St. Claire) was such a great acquisition for them wasn't he? That guy was the reason Martz came up with "Max Protect" and it got Bulger NUKED. Yup this guy's crystal ball is so amazing I might have him take guesses at the Super Bowl picks for this year that I have in hermetically sealed mason jars under my Grannies front porch. See if he can't make me a few million so I can buy you all a clue.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by greywolf447:

He's a douche how? Because he doesn't see us as a playoff team? Do you see us as a playoff team right now? The guy is right. Plain and simple

"When you’re picking high, I always go quarterback or defense myself. All the other positions you can find guys later in the draft. . . . But these early-round guys all have one thing in common: they fit a height/weight/speed profile. You hit and miss. They’d never consider a Zach Thomas or Wes Welker. They don’t fit the profile. So they take these guys and miss. They have the 40, the height/weight/speed, but that’s a recipe for disaster."

I think he's right. The 49ers get the height/weight/speed, but they aren't able to judge the important intangibles. The would have passed on Jerry Rice (too slow), Montana (weak arm), Steve Young (too small), Fred Dean or Haley (too small), etc.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Like if you protect the QB then he gets comfortable in the Pocket and takes more chances downfield?

OR

That Smith when he's running the 2 minute drill and allowed to call his own plays is pretty damned solid.

He and the Rams NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER HAD THE CONVERSATION THAT HE SAYS THEY DID. The Rams were picking 19th that year.

Say we didn't pick a QB and instead when with Braylon Edwards(who I wanted but am now kind of glad we didn't take) that's 17 other teams that were ahead of them.

Instead we DID take Smith(easily could have been Rodgers who priced himself out of our pick) and Rodgers slid to where? To the Packers the pick after St. Clueless at 20.

This guy just wants to remain relevant so he's taking cheap shots at our guy because he's newsworthy.

f**k THAT PUNKASS. Can't believe so many people are falling for that pathetic crap. Why don't you all do me a favor and buy tix to fly with that fool and scrounge up the talent that he does. Bob the Seive St. Claire (No not our Bob St. Claire) was such a great acquisition for them wasn't he? That guy was the reason Martz came up with "Max Protect" and it got Bulger NUKED. Yup this guy's crystal ball is so amazing I might have him take guesses at the Super Bowl picks for this year that I have in hermetically sealed mason jars under my Grannies front porch. See if he can't make me a few million so I can buy you all a clue.

~Ceadder

Just stop. Your post actually sounds like you're defending Smith as a QB and a pick. He's CLEARLY HANDS DOWN, UNQUESTIONABLY A BUST! There's no argument the other way. Alex Smith is a BAD player. Plain and simple. Protect him? He's pretty solid? No he's not. When he gets great protection he looks like a worthy backup, when he has to escape even a little bit of pressure and make a play he's terrible. Lets not even get into it, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to defend Alex at this point. Secondly, of course he had that conversation with the Rams, just as I'm sure the Rams discussed Sam Bradford, and Suh last year. You discuss EVERY prospect. People get offended because the things he's saying about this team are negative, but why shouldn't they be? We haven't produced a 1000 yard receiver, a 10 sack defender, a decent secondary, a manageable O-line, a serviceable QB, or a winning record, in a full decade! Why would someone sing our praises????

OR

~Ceadder

Just stop. Your post actually sounds like you're defending Smith as a QB and a pick. He's CLEARLY HANDS DOWN, UNQUESTIONABLY A BUST! There's no argument the other way. Alex Smith is a BAD player. Plain and simple. Protect him? He's pretty solid? No he's not. When he gets great protection he looks like a worthy backup, when he has to escape even a little bit of pressure and make a play he's terrible. Lets not even get into it, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to defend Alex at this point. Secondly, of course he had that conversation with the Rams, just as I'm sure the Rams discussed Sam Bradford, and Suh last year. You discuss EVERY prospect. People get offended because the things he's saying about this team are negative, but why shouldn't they be? We haven't produced a 1000 yard receiver, a 10 sack defender, a decent secondary, a manageable O-line, a serviceable QB, or a winning record, in a full decade! Why would someone sing our praises????
[ Edited by TheCatch on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM ]

OR

~Ceadder

Yep. Razzano's story about his heated exchange with the Rams front office makes no sense what so ever. Why would they fire a supposedly well-regarded scout over a grading of a player they were never going to take? The only thing that rings true in his account is that the Rams fired him. Not the only NFL team that has done that.

Originally posted by TheCatch:

OR

~Ceadder

This!
Btw, I meant to say that I'm sure the "saints" not the "rams" discussed Bradford and Suh, because that's what teams do. Discuss ALL prospects! If Rodgers fell to the 20s, why wouldn't Smith fall to 19???
He's entitled to his opinion..you'll get different opinions from a lot of different scouts, depending on their experience, team needs, etc. It's easy to look back and say "woulda, coulda, shoulda" WRT Alex vs Rodgers. Aaron's clearly the superior QB...I've pulled for Alex all the way, but have to admit he's not progressing like he should've. Top QB's overcome adversity...and as much as I like his work ethic, he's just not getting it done. He's far from the only one to blame for our 0-4 start, but when you're the trigger man, it starts with him and Singletary. Unless something amazing happens, I don't see either of 'em with the team next year.
I think this is spot on. Alex hasn't shown he's anything more than a career backup. I was definitely a supporter of his and never thought he had a chance in previous seasons. His play this year has proven me wrong. I just hope there is a viable option for 2011. If they have to draft a rookie QB so be it but I'd hope there's a trade to be made some where.

"When I wrote him coming out of Utah — he came out as a junior, after his junior season — and I graded him as a backup player. I was with the Rams at the time, and I didn’t think he was as good as Jeff Smoker, who was the backup from Michigan State we had who had a good arm. He didn’t pan out because he was a little bit of a screwball off the field. But in terms of Alex, I wasn’t as crazy about Alex as a lot of the league was. I thought he was limited. I thought he was a system guy up there at Utah in terms of production. He won games but, again, you have to look at the whole picture. He had a limited arm. He wasn’t a real physical guy. The passes he completed were pretty much underneath in a 10-yard bubble. When he went down the field he was erratic. Great kid, great worker, had a high test — 43, I believe, that IQ test they give, that Wonderlic test. But I thought he was a backup and I think after five years in the league he has yet to prove me wrong. When you take a guy number one, you’re going to give him every opportunity. In the meantime coaches are going to be fired, coordinators are going to come and go, but at the end of the day that’s due to the play of the quarterback. If he was playing like a number one should, I think they’d still have Mike Nolan there. He’s created a lot of that, but again, when you take these guys high you’re going to give them every opportunity and you’re not going to wave them. He got beat out by Shaun Hill last year who was an undrafted free agent. On any other team he’d have been cut, but when you’ve got that much invested, you’re going to give the guy every opportunity, you’re going to say let’s build around him, add players, let’s do this and that. But at the end of the day he’s the same guy and as long as he’s there I don’t think they’ll get it done. They’ll be a little bit better in areas, but as far as them becoming a playoff team, I don’t think it’s possible with him at quarterback."
Sounds dead on to me. Nothing he says in that whole article is debatable imo.
Share 49ersWebzone