LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Which man is holding back this team more?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which man is holding back this team more?

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Singletary, He is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This team is built for a spread offense and yet he still insists on forcing the run first, second and third mentality. He has limited knowledge about the X's and O's of football. If you watch him during the games he just stands there with his arms crossed and a deer in the headlights look on his face. The man is lost and in way over his head.

It's not Singletary.

Game:---Run---Pass
SEA------19------45
NO-------26------32
KC-------15------42
ATL------23------32

Tot-------83-----151

We have a 2-1 pass to run ratio

Singletary doesn't care how we win, just as long as we win and win by hitting hard.

Notice the games Alex Smith played very well in, Gore played well and Gore was our primary receiving target.

What does this tell you? We just aren't good passing to set up the run but we are very good running to set up the pass and even then, we can't find the WR's.

you have to pass more when you are losing. It is pretty well known that team consistently shows up to games unprepared and does not make game time adjustments(coaching) Not making excuses for Smith because he has played terrible minus the one drive against NO(spread offense!!!! hint hint!). I'm simply stating that Singletary's lack of knowledge and control over the team is what is affecting the team right now. I don't believe the players believe in the capabilities of Singletary, therefore they are not playing as hard.

This. We fell behind early in the first three games because our archaic O wasn't getting anything done. ATL was the first time we looked somewhat modern, and we scored on the first drive.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Singletary, He is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This team is built for a spread offense and yet he still insists on forcing the run first, second and third mentality. He has limited knowledge about the X's and O's of football. If you watch him during the games he just stands there with his arms crossed and a deer in the headlights look on his face. The man is lost and in way over his head.

It's not Singletary.

SEA------19------45
NO-------26------32
KC-------15------42
ATL------23------32

Tot-------83-----151

Singletary doesn't care how we win, just as long as we win and win by hitting hard.

Notice the games Alex Smith played very well in, Gore played well and Gore was our primary receiving target.

What does this tell you? We just aren't good passing to set up the run but we are very good running to set up the pass and even then, we can't find the WR's.

you have to pass more when you are losing. It is pretty well known that team consistently shows up to games unprepared and does not make game time adjustments(coaching) Not making excuses for Smith because he has played terrible minus the one drive against NO(spread offense!!!! hint hint!). I'm simply stating that Singletary's lack of knowledge and control over the team is what is affecting the team right now. I don't believe the players believe in the capabilities of Singletary, therefore they are not playing as hard.

This. We fell behind early in the first three games because our archaic O wasn't getting anything done. ATL was the first time we looked somewhat modern, and we scored on the first drive.

That's not true. If you really want to get specific, we fell down in those games because of INT's (from passing) and fumbles. We try to "open it up" but Alex throws an INT. Few were Receivers fault but most were Smith's fault. That is why we fell behind in games.

Just face it, spreading it for Alex will not result in efficient offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by binary2nd:

It's not Singletary.

SEA------19------45
NO-------26------32
KC-------15------42
ATL------23------32

Tot-------83-----151

That's not true. If you really want to get specific, we fell down in those games because of INT's (from passing) and fumbles. We try to "open it up" but Alex throws an INT. Few were Receivers fault but most were Smith's fault. That is why we fell behind in games.

Just face it, spreading it for Alex will not result in efficient offense.

You can only make that argument for the SEA game. Plus, your missing the point completely. It's not really the amount of times we pass, it's the manner in which we choose to do so. Alex's footwork when dropping back has always been iffy, and his vision when dropping back is even worse. By "opening up", most people are referring to more 3 WR sets in shotgun formations, where Alex actually shown some flashes of being good.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I have a weird one for you to think about: Frank Gore.

Now we all know that Gore needs to be fed the ball two thousand times because eventually, he's going to break one. That's kind of like trying to get the stuffed animal out of that fifty-cent crane machine in front of Wal-Mart with only ten quarters in your pocket. Eventually, you're going to run out of quarters.

There are only so many plays in a football game, and as talented as Gore is, constantly feeding him, waiting for him to bust the big one might be costing us the big one.

Anthony Dixon has already displayed his awesome talent in the preseason, and is ready to get into a regular season game and make a name for himself. Brian Westbrook is fully capable doing the same.

Gore has been pretty stubborn publicly when asked what his feelings are on splitting carries. I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't even want to know what happens behind closed doors at Santa Clara when the subject comes up and he's in the room.

Bottom line is, although it may sound silly to limit the amount of touches he gets and split them with the other backs, it might be the better thing for both he and the team in the long run. With the season fading quickly, there is less and less to lose with each passing week. Might as well try.

*face palm*

Preseason is hardly an indicator of talent. Anthony Dixon wasn't facing run blitzes or 9 men in the box like Gore is now. He was facing vanilla, base package defenses. Many of whom had backups in, while starters were taking it easy as to not get hurt. The bottom line is, until we can throw, Gore is not going to put up big numbers nor is anyone else back there.

I don't disagree with this. I just don't think it would hurt to try just about anything right now, with the walls closing in.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by marls:
Boy... If this gets turned around and we make a playoff run, there is going to be some serious crow being served. Have a little faith people.

Dude, I reckon you must be new around these parts... We have been promised and threatened with crow dinna' for quite a spell! You are "FAR" from the first person to inject the dreaded crow into the conversation...

My question is what are you gonna eat when Smith is dead, buried and still a bum!?!

Dirty

I am begging to eat some crow! If I am eating crow that means the team is in the playoffs and making a run for the SB. So please bring me some crow.

Total ditto!!! While no one wants to be wrong - but I always held a secret place in my heart for hope. Believe me I would totally gobble up even the dankest of undercooked crow dinner if it meant the 9ers was ball'n!

Dirty
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I have a weird one for you to think about: Frank Gore.

Now we all know that Gore needs to be fed the ball two thousand times because eventually, he's going to break one. That's kind of like trying to get the stuffed animal out of that fifty-cent crane machine in front of Wal-Mart with only ten quarters in your pocket. Eventually, you're going to run out of quarters.

There are only so many plays in a football game, and as talented as Gore is, constantly feeding him, waiting for him to bust the big one might be costing us the big one.

Anthony Dixon has already displayed his awesome talent in the preseason, and is ready to get into a regular season game and make a name for himself. Brian Westbrook is fully capable doing the same.

Gore has been pretty stubborn publicly when asked what his feelings are on splitting carries. I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't even want to know what happens behind closed doors at Santa Clara when the subject comes up and he's in the room.

Bottom line is, although it may sound silly to limit the amount of touches he gets and split them with the other backs, it might be the better thing for both he and the team in the long run. With the season fading quickly, there is less and less to lose with each passing week. Might as well try.

Good point, interesting. Greed factor holding the O back. Aggreed
Originally posted by marls:
Boy... If this gets turned around and we make a playoff run, there is going to be some serious crow being served. Have a little faith people.

Dude, I reckon you must be new around these parts... We have been promised and threatened with crow dinna' for quite a spell! You are "FAR" from the first person to inject the dreaded crow into the conversation...

My question is what are you gonna eat when Smith is dead, buried and still a bum!?!

Dirty

I am begging to eat some crow! If I am eating crow that means the team is in the playoffs and making a run for the SB. So please bring me some crow.

Total ditto!!! While no one wants to be wrong - but I always held a secret place in my heart for hope. Believe me I would totally gobble up even the dankest of undercooked crow dinner if it meant the 9ers was ball'n!

Dirty

cooking it, huh never crossed my mind. I figured I would just go at it like a savage.... feathers and all.
  • dj43
The poll is unfair. Everyone can see Smith's shortcomings but very few can tell how much of the criticism he faces come as the direct result of instructions from Singletary. All the ragging about checkdowns and short passes are certainly linked to the stopwatch drill Raye imposed on Smith in OTAs and TC. It is nearly impossible to go downfield if the QB has been trained to get the ball out of his hands BEFORE 3 SECONDS HAVE ELAPSED FROM THE TIME THE BALL WAS SNAPPED. At that point, just one more second, or even a fraction of a second is often the difference between a receiver breaking free or not.

If we could all know what the coaches are asking of Smith, then this poll would make more sense. My position is that the majority of the failings of this team are related to an overly conservative approach on both sides of the LOS. Until that changes, only bad things will result = either a player revolt or just more losses. Let's hope we see a change this Sunday.
I blame Sing, his conservative approach is affecting the offensive game plan.

Alex's only successful period with this team (other than the glimmer of potential he showed with Norv Turner) was last year when we went balls to the wall and played the spread offense. It's make or break time, this week we have to go to the spread and get Alex some confidence back, its the perfect time at home vs the eagles and then against a tore up Carolina. If we win these games using the spread O, Alex "might" start to air it out more and teams will have to focus on the pass, freeing up Franky.

If we lose those two games, yank Alex and put in Carr to see if he has any chance of a comeback... if he struggles yank him and put in Nate Davis to see if he has any potential against 1st string defenses. If nothing changes... at least we can look forward to our new Head Coach/QB combo in Harbough and Luck from Stanford praying that history repeats itself with Coaches from Stanford.
Originally posted by 5280High:
I blame Sing, his conservative approach is affecting the offensive game plan.

Alex's only successful period with this team (other than the glimmer of potential he showed with Norv Turner) was last year when we went balls to the wall and played the spread offense. It's make or break time, this week we have to go to the spread and get Alex some confidence back, its the perfect time at home vs the eagles and then against a tore up Carolina. If we win these games using the spread O, Alex "might" start to air it out more and teams will have to focus on the pass, freeing up Franky.

If we lose those two games, yank Alex and put in Carr to see if he has any chance of a comeback... if he struggles yank him and put in Nate Davis to see if he has any potential against 1st string defenses. If nothing changes... at least we can look forward to our new Head Coach/QB combo in Harbough and Luck from Stanford praying that history repeats itself with Coaches from Stanford.

Carr is just another Alex Smith. If Smith doesn't pass the test, then we need to plan ahead to get Troy Smith in and possibly Nate Davis for the last two games. Putting Carr is shooting ourselves in developing other possibilities. I would rather take a chance at something over sticking with nothing.

Share 49ersWebzone