LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Why we will win this division and are much better than we all think

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by malcolmx:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In some ways our toughest games were the first ones. And the later half of the schedule is so weak. Plus I've never seen a team dumb enough to do "what the F?" stupid shoot yourself in the foot plays all season long. There is no way we can shoot ourselves in the foot for 16 games. Some games we will get lucky and not make mistakes. If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot so much this team as is could be 2 - 2. With the later portions of the schedule easier it's not hard to see us making less mistakes and winning more games.

I could see us go on a meaningless win streak and provide false hope. Sure it could happen. And we could win the division. Even better Sing and Smith could be back for 2011...

We need to stop forcing Smith's role. 7 INTs in 4 games! WR fault or QB fault, we need to keep it safe in passing and creative in running.

Let him throw the ball 40 times a game...thats how you win. Fans like Joe Cool dont understand how this offense will take off. LET SMITH RUN A RUN+SHOOT SPREAD OFFENSE

I'm all for passing but I'm not for turning the ball over. We are just missing the key component that a solid passing game requires and we are trying to force that position to be the key component and it's costing us more than other things are.

We need creativity but no one has mentioned creativity in running the ball.
Smith cant handle the pressure in the final quarter. Every time we get across the 50 yard line he does some stupid move to turnover the ball, just sayin
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
You don't think we need the spread? If we go to the spread, my money says we move the chains, score more points, AND convert less turnovers. Oh, and I almost forgot, win more games!

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SPREAD OFFENSE IS.

The spread offense is a system and has to be run as such. NO TEAM IN THE NFL USES THE SPREAD OFFENSE EXCLUSIVELY. The closest thing to it is Indianapolis because of Peyton Manning. Shotgun formations don't mean it's a spread offense like you think. Almost every team uses the shotgun with 3-5 receivers at some point. That doesn't make it a spread offense. We can come out and play from the shotgun every single snap for a whole game and that wouldn't make it the spread offense.

I've studied the spread. You might want to do the same before you go assuming it will work.

Sweet. Please explain to the masses what, exactly, the spread is.

The spread offense begins with a no-huddle approach with the quarterback in the shotgun formation much of the time. The fundamental nature of the spread offense involves spreading the field horizontally using 3, 4, and even 5-receiver sets (some implementations of the spread also feature wide splits between the offensive linemen). The object of the spread offense is to open up multiple vertical seams for both the running and passing game to exploit, as the defense is forced to spread itself thin across the field (a "horizontal stretch") to cover everyone.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
You don't think we need the spread? If we go to the spread, my money says we move the chains, score more points, AND convert less turnovers. Oh, and I almost forgot, win more games!

The spread offense is a system and has to be run as such. NO TEAM IN THE NFL USES THE SPREAD OFFENSE EXCLUSIVELY. The closest thing to it is Indianapolis because of Peyton Manning. Shotgun formations don't mean it's a spread offense like you think. Almost every team uses the shotgun with 3-5 receivers at some point. That doesn't make it a spread offense. We can come out and play from the shotgun every single snap for a whole game and that wouldn't make it the spread offense.

I've studied the spread. You might want to do the same before you go assuming it will work.

The spread offense begins with a no-huddle approach with the quarterback in the shotgun formation much of the time. The fundamental nature of the spread offense involves spreading the field horizontally using 3, 4, and even 5-receiver sets (some implementations of the spread also feature wide splits between the offensive linemen). The object of the spread offense is to open up multiple vertical seams for both the running and passing game to exploit, as the defense is forced to spread itself thin across the field (a "horizontal stretch") to cover everyone.

What most don't understand is why this works. In college, you can do this with much more success because there's multiple players on every defense who are not fast enough to cover their seam or help on a seam when the throw is made or the ball is ran.
In the NFL, the recovery is instant and you are looking at a dink and dunk offense with little YAC.

What most don't understand is why this works. In college, you can do this with much more success because there's multiple players on every defense who are not fast enough to cover their seam or help on a seam when the throw is made or the ball is ran.
In the NFL, the recovery is instant and you are looking at a dink and dunk offense with little YAC.

Exactly, which is why teams don't run it. Peyton Manning's version works because they are able to go vertical with more success than most teams would experience not only due to Manning's abilities, but the abilities of his receiving options.

Also, I'd like to point out a brain fart I had when explaining the spread. I said vertical instead of horizontal. That's my mistake.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM ]

Exactly, which is why teams don't run it. Peyton Manning's version works because they are able to go vertical with more success than most teams would experience not only due to Manning's abilities, but the abilities of his receiving options.

And Peyton makes some amazing f**ken throws in each game. That's not the offense, that's not the OC, it's the QB.
Part of it is our receivers being unable to get separation. Smith has been throwing it into tight windows and Crabtree and Morgan have let him down. How many times in the last 5 years have you seen a 49ers receiver win the ball in a one on one situation? I havent since TO left. Put any QB behind a crap offensive line and slow receivers and whats gonna happen.

People just don't notice that there are two or three teams that run a lot of "spread" type offense. Those teams have great mutherf**ken QBs who don't f**k up often, read defenses, move defenses around, and own the damn field whenever they f**ken want to.

We...

...have Alex Smith.

No question Alex is much better in the spread though. We've seen it here and you have seen it at U. of Utah also.

Can we agree to NEVER bring up college success when referring to QB's. Irr-freakin'-relevant.
Sheesh, Alex Smith talk can get me into a neverending loop of negative. Here's something very positive we all need to think about.

0 wins
4 losses

1. All 4 losses have been to division leaders.
2. 3 teams are 3-1 or better.
3. We pretty much dominated the of the top teams in the NFL: ATL and NO. Too many fumbles.

I don't think we need the spread. I don't think we need to "open things up". What we need is to do what we have been doing minus the "What the f**k Shoot myself in the Foot" plays.

If we open things up, we are going to find another way to lose. We need to stick to what we've been doing minus the dumb turnovers.

We WILL handle Philly.

I don't know if Atlanta and New Orleans are all that good this year. Drew Brees is obviously great, but I think there might be a handful of teams that are better than these two this year. Also yes we have just been shooting ourselves in the foot and we lost to the Saints and Falcons because we beat ourselves.
know we need to spread the offense and open things up cuz that is what Smith is comfortable with

Winning this division is not a challenge really. The Niners can win the division while still not being as good as we all thought
Originally posted by malcolmx:
In some ways our toughest games were the first ones. And the later half of the schedule is so weak. Plus I've never seen a team dumb enough to do "what the F?" stupid shoot yourself in the foot plays all season long. There is no way we can shoot ourselves in the foot for 16 games. Some games we will get lucky and not make mistakes. If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot so much this team as is could be 2 - 2. With the later portions of the schedule easier it's not hard to see us making less mistakes and winning more games.

I could see us go on a meaningless win streak and provide false hope. Sure it could happen. And we could win the division. Even better Sing and Smith could be back for 2011...

We need to stop forcing Smith's role. 7 INTs in 4 games! WR fault or QB fault, we need to keep it safe in passing and creative in running.

Let him throw the ball 40 times a game...thats how you win. Fans like Joe Cool dont understand how this offense will take off. LET SMITH RUN A RUN+SHOOT SPREAD OFFENSE

I'm all for passing but I'm not for turning the ball over. We are just missing the key component that a solid passing game requires and we are trying to force that position to be the key component and it's costing us more than other things are.

We need creativity but no one has mentioned creativity in running the ball.

Alex Smith has been given the "lots of receivers on the field and operating from the shotgun" offense exactly 2 times in his entire NFL career.

Those games occurred last season back-to-back, against the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Seattle Seahawks.

In the "lots of receivers on the field and operating from the shotgun" offense, during those two games, Smith has thrown for 542 yards with 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Not only has Smith thrown for lots of yards and touchdowns from the "lots of receivers on the field and operating from the shotgun" offense, but he has never thrown an interception.

The "lots of receivers on the field and operating from the shotgun" offense (it would be nice if we could just call it the "spread"), is the only offense Smith has ever succeeded in, and ever will. If we really cared about turnovers, that would be the offense we would run; not based upon theory or speculation, but based upon cold, hard, facts.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran

2-2 is what I thought we would be at this point. The funny thing is I thought those 2 wins would be against the Hawks and Chiefs, the two teams that crushed us. It has been a strange year.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:

2-2 is what I thought we would be at this point. The funny thing is I thought those 2 wins would be against the Hawks and Chiefs, the two teams that crushed us. It has been a strange year.

True, but then again, those were road games and this team can't win on the road for some reason.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Are you watching the games or guessing what is happening off of stat sheets?
I don't rewatch games like many of you do. Many of Smith's turnovers that I have seen do not happen off of risky plays. They happen when he fires a screen pass 90 mph and either too high or behind the receiver, the guy has no touch, he sucks. This team is going nowhere with him at QB. He could be guiding the 84 49ers in the current scenario and they would be lucky to win 10 games and be one and done in the play-offs.
Share 49ersWebzone