LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Overlooked Fact

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Yes, Clements had the win in his hand, and had he taken a knee, we'd be 1-3.

really? atl had 3 timeouts left, with our luck we run 3 [plays up the middle and miss a fg and they still take the ball down the field

We still would of at least taken the time off the clock and they wouldn't be able to stop the clock during their drive
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Yes, Clements had the win in his hand, and had he taken a knee, we'd be 1-3.

really? atl had 3 timeouts left, with our luck we run 3 [plays up the middle and miss a fg and they still take the ball down the field

so wait....your argument is with 3 plays to kill their TO's and a worst case scenerio of a FG from around the 10 yard line, they still take the ball down the field and win?

personally I think Brian Westbrook needs to coach this team on how to win games.
Westbrook Winning Games

The fact of the matter, is no matter how bad the game had gone up to that point the 49ers were still in the lead. It would be like saying the Defense lost the game when the 49ers throw a pick that gets returned for a TD, when they could have just knelt down and ran the clock out.
[ Edited by Syxton on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM ]
I'm just sick of people using a scapegoat for this loss Smith played poorly so did alot of Niners, but Clements had the game in his hand and he dropped it, that is the only reason we lost. Part of it that bugs me too is no one on the defense that ran with him told him to go down, it's like no one realized the situation. Meh next week here we come!
Originally posted by Thrash88:
you guys are quite simple minded ... let's put it this way if Smith doesn't throw that interception and so were up by 4 instead of 1, they drove quite easily down the field twice within what 80 seconds? they probably would have scored. The only guarantee is if he goes out of bounds we ice the clock game over. I am comparing him to Ryan because for some reason Ryan gets a free pass when his team wins inspite of him but Smith gets an ass raping when he wasn't the one fumbling away the ball. Ryan threw an interception when his team NEEDED him to drive down the field and we gave it right back, yet hes a hero, THE ONLY difference FOR SURE between a W and a L is the Clements fumble you people are blind seriously it's sad.

I encourage you to look into the bolded more..,.things should be become more clear for you. Hint, it has to do with past success. Past success buys you some slack for future failure....I know shocking.
Well, at least they are admitting that it isn't THIS game that is making them blame Alex for this loss. It is the History...you know, because Clements has been a total team player and has been solid all the time. Oh wait, he got burned by these same Falcons last year, and he is so individually minded that he celebrates every tackle for a loss like he scored a TD.
Originally posted by Syxton:
Well, at least they are admitting that it isn't THIS game that is making them blame Alex for this loss. It is the History...you know, because Clements has been a total team player and has been solid all the time. Oh wait, he got burned by these same Falcons last year, and he is so individually minded that he celebrates every tackle for a loss like he scored a TD.

TRUTH.
You can encourage me to read whatever the f**k you want but I am not stupid. Smith did not lose this game, we were WINNING the game when Clements made the interception hence the game was over with us in the lead he then decided to run down the field like an idiot and fumble the ball back giving them another chance in which they used wisely to win the game. Smith didn't fumble the ball back to them, he didn't give them a second chance, he didn't do any of this the last time he was on the field we were winning the game so he had nothing to do with the final score, Clements did as he had the ball in his hands HE was the one that gave it back. Simple facts for people blinded by rage OPEN YOUR EYES
You can encourage me to read whatever the f**k you want but I am not stupid. Smith did not lose this game, we were WINNING the game when Clements made the interception hence the game was over with us in the lead he then decided to run down the field like an idiot and fumble the ball back giving them another chance in which they used wisely to win the game. Smith didn't fumble the ball back to them, he didn't give them a second chance, he didn't do any of this the last time he was on the field we were winning the game so he had nothing to do with the final score, Clements did as he had the ball in his hands HE was the one that gave it back. Simple facts for people blinded by rage OPEN YOUR EYES

whats your point? That both Alex SMith and Nate Clements should be replaced? And somehow you think this is overlooked?

You are talking to someone who wanted neither Alex SMith drafted or Nate Clements signed......so who is overlooking what exactly?

news flash, we have a lot of bad players on this football team....and nobody is really overlooking that too much.
clements was Sunday's MVP.
Originally posted by danimal:

whats your point? That both Alex SMith and Nate Clements should be replaced? And somehow you think this is overlooked?

You are talking to someone who wanted neither Alex SMith drafted or Nate Clements signed......so who is overlooking what exactly?

news flash, we have a lot of bad players on this football team....and nobody is really overlooking that too much.

I think the problem I have with your logic here is that I'm not saying ANY of the players SHOULD be replaced. I'm saying that Clements lost that game for us. It was the last time we had possession of the ball, and we were in the redzone and you are talking about a 95% chance of a win in that situation. Instead he gave them the ball with 3 TO's and 1:40ish left on the clock. An extra point length FG makes it a TD game and not a FG game.
[ Edited by Syxton on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM ]

I think the problem I have with your logic here is that I'm not saying ANY of the players SHOULD be replaced. I'm saying that Clements lost that game for us. It was the last time we had possession of the ball, and we were in the redzone and you are talking about a 95% chance of a win in that situation. Instead he gave them the ball with 3 TO's and 1:40ish left on the clock. An extra point length FG makes it a TD game and not a FG game.

well if you don't want any player replaced I really haven't anything to discuss with you.

well if you don't want any player replaced I really haven't anything to discuss with you.

The only discussion you will have is about replacing players? What kind of fan are you?

The only discussion you will have is about replacing players? What kind of fan are you?

an educated one The NFL is not a developmental league last time I checked.

A fan who understands salary cap That there is a direct relationship between winning and the salary over actual production ratio

a fan who cares about the Niner brand over any individual who just happens to be wearing the brand for the moment

Yeah, I am one of those
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Ryan had 2 interceptions and one touchdown...one interception came when they were driving and well withing field goal range on a TIPPED PASS. The other came when they NEEDED him to drive them down the field and he threw the ball right to us...Alex Smith was not the difference between a win and a loss in the game, he played even keel with Matt Ryan. The difference was when we needed it most, Clements screwed up - THE END. Yes Smith had a bad game, yes the defense let them drive down the field and kick a winning field goal, but all of the negative could have been erased EASILY, all he had to do was go down. With all of the s**t that we have gone through this season we had an opportunity to, in spite of everything, to win that game and Clements decided otherwise. We have to now regroup and start fresh next weekend. I am a fan until the end but that hurt to watch - I don't get mad anymore because I don't expect them to win all the time like I used to lol, I get upset when they tease me and lose like that, it's hard to watch and not cringe!

We all knew that the team was good enough to win some games despite Alex. However, now it is evident that we aren't as good as we thought and we will actually need a QB we can count on if we want to start beating playoff teams consistently.

You can pick the worst games of any QB and stack it up to Alex to make yourself feel better about him but if you try to compare Ryan's best game to Alex's best game then you will see a huge difference and realize what most of us here have already realized that he is not the answer if we hope to be anything more than an average team.

OMG I agree he sucks and he is a bottom 10 qb in the NFL I'm not against you on this lol I'm simply stating he did not lose this game for us Nate Clements did. Fact is last year when he threw 3 td's against the texans and brought us all the way back and then threw an interception to seal the loss, that play was on HIM. You can do whatever you want all game all that matters is the important plays when your team needs you most!

You can't pin a loss down on one play. Yeah we probably would have won if he goes down on that play. We also would have won if Alex completed a few more passes or didn't throw INTs or didn't mess up every 3 step drop play that was called or didn't bounce the ball to Vernon on that one play or didn't throw an uncatchable ball when Crabtree was being interfered with or didn't overthrow Morgan when he was wide open for a TD. If you take those plays away it doesn't matter that Clements fumbles. You also said that Ryan played a bad game. Maybe Clements is part of the reason. Maybe he matched up well with Gonzales and took away Ryan's security blanket and that is why the game was close to begin with. So you can't take blame away from Alex because our ST and defense put out team in a position to win. The bottom line is Ryan moved his team down the field and scored when he needed to and Alex did not.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
underlooked fact, we're still 0-4

This fact, my friend, does not fall into the overlooked category.
Share 49ersWebzone