LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Video: Game Tying Drive vs Saints (Preview of Eagles Game)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Knowledge:
i wish we would have ran a couple run plays during that drive to take some time off the clock

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm just tired of watching this offense move the ball when we spread it out, and then going away from it only to have drive after drive stall.
Smith also excelled in the spread style offense when the team turned to it last year after he was named the starter after Hill was benched. The problem is passing the ball is against Singletary's philosophy about how football should be played.

For the poster who said that the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL. Patriots and Colts both run a spread style offense. Last time I checked they are two of the best teams in the NFL every year.

We have the players on the team that can really excel in the spread offense, mainly Smith and Crabtree. But last year when we turned to the spread VD and Gore benefited from the change in offense as well.
Originally posted by backontop:
Smith also excelled in the spread style offense when the team turned to it last year after he was named the starter after Hill was benched. The problem is passing the ball is against Singletary's philosophy about how football should be played.

For the poster who said that the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL. Patriots and Colts both run a spread style offense. Last time I checked they are two of the best teams in the NFL every year.

We have the players on the team that can really excel in the spread offense, mainly Smith and Crabtree. But last year when we turned to the spread VD and Gore benefited from the change in offense as well.

Don't forget the Broncos. They do it more than anyone and they lead the NFL in passing. They're also ranked 4th overall in total offense.
He won that drive with his legs and not his arm. Bottom line, he came thru on that drive, but not on enough drives to win the game. We can blame the defense, which isn't without flaws, if you like.

But hey, I'm ok with blaming the organization that gave him 7 OCs in 7 seasons. How can anyone play under those circumstances? We need to have continuity before we can judge him. Let's make sure Mike Johnson stays for 3 years and we'll judge him then. Maybe he's just a late bloomer. We should wait until he's in his early 30's, when most QBs hit their prime, to judge him. In the mean time, he should be allowed to lose as many games as he wants in order to develop.

Go Alex!
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The spread does not work in the NFL for long, and that's why you don't see it much in pro football. As soon as teams see that we're committed to the spread, they will gameplan and shut it down.

Do you watch other teams play? I'm guessing not.

Lol.. all Tom Brady does is workout of the shotgun. When he's under center 95 percent of the time it is a run. Smith needs to stay in the shotgun to give him and our team the best chance at winning. It's clear under center he doesn't look very comfortable and doesn't even begin to read the defense until he has completed his drop back. In shotgun he can see the entire defense before the snap and the instant the ball is snapped he can see what is unfolding in front of him. Our offense would obviously be much better with Smith operating out of the Shotgun spread
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
The spread does not work in the NFL for long, and that's why you don't see it much in pro football. As soon as teams see that we're committed to the spread, they will gameplan and shut it down.

Lol.. all Tom Brady does is workout of the shotgun. When he's under center 95 percent of the time it is a run. Smith needs to stay in the shotgun to give him and our team the best chance at winning. It's clear under center he doesn't look very comfortable and doesn't even begin to read the defense until he has completed his drop back. In shotgun he can see the entire defense before the snap and the instant the ball is snapped he can see what is unfolding in front of him. Our offense would obviously be much better with Smith operating out of the Shotgun spread

Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3p3dmpC1M

This video is shot from a fan, from the Saints endzone and behind the 49ers offense. It is a great video because you can see nearly the entire field and what is occurring on each play in the drive.

When watching this video, these are the things that stand out to me:

1. The 49ers run the spread offense for the entire drive, and move the ball with great effectiveness. When Smith cannot find a receiver, he is able to use his mobility and scramble for first downs.
2. The 49ers receivers are able to get open early and often, and Smith is able to deliver the ball with great accuracy.
3. This is the best the 49ers offense has looked all season.

With that said, it is quite frustrating for me to think that the coaches witnessed this, and how successful it was, only to go away from it. Folks, Alex Smith can play very good football in this formation. Understand that it is Mike Singletary who wants to make Alex Smith play in his version of an offense, and not the offense Alex Smith flourishes in. Anyone who knows anything about teaching or leadership knows this is a flawed strategy, and our 0-4 record speaks to this reality.

Instead of calling Smith a loser and a bust, as so many of you do, why don't you call for seeing him play in the system he excels in? Watch that drive and tell me this guy can't be our QB this season and into the future. I still say we have our QB and what is missing is a coach that can get the best out of him. Or am I speaking too soon?

Knowing this is probably Smith's last opportunity to prove himself, I have to believe Mike Johnson will go to what works and help the 49ers earn their first win of the season. Hopefully after achieving that, there will be no more looking back and we'll spread it out for the rest of the season.

Go Smith! Go Mike Johnson! Go Niners! And take notes Singletary, you truly are a stubborn moron and you're the reason this team is embarrassing itself and its fan base.

Don't forget KT, Smith ran that in 2 minute drill AND he called his own Plays.

But I forgot it goes against all that is holy in NT where the AntiSmith establishment is concerned.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Smith is fine Under Center as long as the Plays come in quickly, giving him time to survey the Defense and make an audible. But that goes for any QB. If you put them in an untenable situation more often than not your will get negative results. Look at the earlier portions of the Saints game where the Plays were giving Smith time to audible. He saw what they were doing and audibled out of the called play.

He was so good at it that they all but quit sending Blitzers and went to a 3 man front and dropped everyone into coverage.

It didn't stop Smith from tying up the game.

Yup we don't have our QB.(not aimed at you btw)

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3p3dmpC1M

This video is shot from a fan, from the Saints endzone and behind the 49ers offense. It is a great video because you can see nearly the entire field and what is occurring on each play in the drive.

When watching this video, these are the things that stand out to me:

1. The 49ers run the spread offense for the entire drive, and move the ball with great effectiveness. When Smith cannot find a receiver, he is able to use his mobility and scramble for first downs.
2. The 49ers receivers are able to get open early and often, and Smith is able to deliver the ball with great accuracy.
3. This is the best the 49ers offense has looked all season.

With that said, it is quite frustrating for me to think that the coaches witnessed this, and how successful it was, only to go away from it. Folks, Alex Smith can play very good football in this formation. Understand that it is Mike Singletary who wants to make Alex Smith play in his version of an offense, and not the offense Alex Smith flourishes in. Anyone who knows anything about teaching or leadership knows this is a flawed strategy, and our 0-4 record speaks to this reality.

Instead of calling Smith a loser and a bust, as so many of you do, why don't you call for seeing him play in the system he excels in? Watch that drive and tell me this guy can't be our QB this season and into the future. I still say we have our QB and what is missing is a coach that can get the best out of him. Or am I speaking too soon?

Knowing this is probably Smith's last opportunity to prove himself, I have to believe Mike Johnson will go to what works and help the 49ers earn their first win of the season. Hopefully after achieving that, there will be no more looking back and we'll spread it out for the rest of the season.

Go Smith! Go Mike Johnson! Go Niners! And take notes Singletary, you truly are a stubborn moron and you're the reason this team is embarrassing itself and its fan base.

Don't forget KT, Smith ran that in 2 minute drill AND he called his own Plays.

But I forgot it goes against all that is holy in NT where the AntiSmith establishment is concerned.

~Ceadder

I don't understand why we don't see more of it. He did the same thing last year against the Colts.
Share 49ersWebzone