LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Sounds like this may be Smith's last opportunity.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope so. All I know is we need a new QB either from the draft or trade for kyle Orton maybe
I'm exhausted watching him continuously fail.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DANADA:
I hope so. All I know is we need a new QB either from the draft or trade for kyle Orton maybe

Why would they give up Orton?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.

Originally posted by gage:

they drafted Tebow in the first round
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.

This line wins most epic fail ever posted in Ninnie Talk. And there have been a lot of them.
The problem with Alex is not that he is from the spread, it is that he can only play in the spread and after 6 years in the nfl he still can't do an effective 3 step drop. He stil throws to the check down on 3rd and long instead of waiting a couple seconds for a deeper route to open up. If we are only gonna run the spread then we should sign a qb like Colt Brennan or Graha harrell who don't have the physical tools Alex has but were scary accurate in passing offenses. I think what the team needs is a Qb that can be just as effective in a passing offense or a running offense which Alex has proven his is not.
Smith would do better elsewhere. He could be an excellent back-up on a good team.

Smith is not a top-notch QB, but the Sing system is especially horrid for him and he would do better elsewhere.

It would simply best for him to go someplace and get a new start, even if Sing was to go away. Obviously he would like to prove the fans wrong and do well, but enough is enough. Move on, start anew. I don't think he knows how good this would be for him, just to be able to breathe.
The latest article from the Chronicle (Lynch/White) wrote that they reviewed the game again, and concluded "Alex Smith did not play that bad." They went on to add, "He played better than Matt Ryan." They mentioned the play-action plays where "no one came open down field," and expressed concern about our receivers not getting the job done.

This confirms what Matt Maiocco wrote yesterday. I have never felt that Lynch or Maiocco were Smith fans, but they seem to think that he is not the problem that most of you fans think.

The OC playcalling and lack of adjustments was a problem. Hopefully under Johnson this will be better. But the receivers ARE a problem, and anyone who refuses to acknowledge it is just blind. Again on Sunday, I saw Alex having to motion Verno over; he had lined up in the wrong place. This continues to be an inexcusable probelm.

Why would they give up a lot of guys they've given up? Ex-Broncos are busy making a name for themselves all over the league right now. They moved up in the first to get Tebow. Again, why would they do that?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
The problem with Alex is not that he is from the spread, it is that he can only play in the spread and after 6 years in the nfl he still can't do an effective 3 step drop. He stil throws to the check down on 3rd and long instead of waiting a couple seconds for a deeper route to open up. If we are only gonna run the spread then we should sign a qb like Colt Brennan or Graha harrell who don't have the physical tools Alex has but were scary accurate in passing offenses. I think what the team needs is a Qb that can be just as effective in a passing offense or a running offense which Alex has proven his is not.

Would love to see Colt Brennan on the practice squad and possibly as the #3 QB. Homerism aside, I think he could develop into a decent back up.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Orton = stopgap.
Originally posted by B650:

Orton = stopgap.

lets trade for Tebow instead since they don't need him with Orton going nuts

Smith will play well cause he'll be desperate next game, because he won't think and just play off pure instinct.
When he's not desperate he thinks too much and tries to analyze everything..
you can't analyze too much when you have an NFL defense targeting nothing but YOU.
Just play the damn game.
[ Edited by tondiman on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM ]
Originally posted by tondiman:
Smith will play well cause he'll be desperate next game, because he won't think and just play off pure instinct.
When he's not desperate he thinks too much and tries to analize everything..
you can't analize too much when you have an NFL defense targeting nothing but YOU.
Just play the damn game.

analize?
Share 49ersWebzone