There are 262 users in the forums

Sounds like this may be Smith's last opportunity.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
You live and die with the QB

Here you cant suger coat this

With Alex at the helm we are avg 13.0pts thats 31st

When Alexis at his best when Alex plays his finest, when he really shines.... he is an average NFL QB.

I'm sure that even his biggest fans, are not entirely comfortable watching him cross the 50 in crunch time, because that is whenAlex throws the back breaking pick!

When the game is on the line I'm sure deep down NOBODY not even his biggest fans feels confident watching him play.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

When Alexis at his best when Alex plays his finest, when he really shines.... he is an average NFL QB.

I'm sure that even his biggest fans, are not entirely comfortable watching him cross the 50 in crunch time, because that is whenAlex throws the back breaking pick!

When the game is on the line I'm sure deep down NOBODY not even his biggest fans feels confident watching him play.

Don't say that.

Alex is a great QB he just needs 5 more years with the same OC.
I kinda wish we had Nate Davis on the roster, I'm sorry but I'm not on the Carravan. Only good that can come off of benching Smith considering our choices, is giving Nasty Nate a shot and seeing what we have in him.

I'm sure that even his biggest fans, are not entirely comfortable watching him cross the 50 in crunch time, because that is when Alex throws the back breaking pick!

When Smith is at his best he still doesn't play all that well

I have 0 confidence in him to win us games
Originally posted by susweel:

Don't say that.

Then he will be the equivalent of a Chad Henne

haha
Earth to Sing: We've exhausted all possibilities with Smith.

He's fvcked up beyond repair. Smiths is the equivalent to a really nice car that was a fixer upper when you bought it...you finally get around to finishing the car only the find out it was actually totaled recently.

The guys done. Let's try our other options. Id really like to see what Troy could do. We know what we have in Carr. I mean I'm ok with giving Smith one more game but this absolutely has to be his last HALF.
Originally posted by susweel:

Don't say that.

and Five top ten drat picks to block for him, and five more to catch and run the football for him and of course a head coach and OC that really truly understand him, then my friends Alex can truly be AVERAGE on a more consistent basis!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Oct 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM ]

I was talking about Smiths inaccuracy and he started talking about how it doesn't matter because he throws so many passes??

Him and I must be talking about different things then

yeah you fuys were talking about different things. he wasn't saying it is okay to be inaccurate, he was saying this offense is awful for an inaccurate QB and the spread would be better.

it would also help with all the blitzing teams do against us.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

This. 6 years of inconsistency. After 6 damn years the poor guy just wont get it. The reality of it though is Sing will go down with Alex because hes too proud to admit his own mistake rather than try to salvage the season with Troy or Nate ( Can they be any worse?)

Sings downfall will be himself and thats a sad reality

Agreed. Miracles do happen. Smith could turn into a prince of a quarterback, but I don't believe he is going to wake up from his on-field comatose state
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

I was talking about Smiths inaccuracy and he started talking about how it doesn't matter because he throws so many passes??

Him and I must be talking about different things then

yeah you guys were talking about different things. he wasn't saying it is okay to be inaccurate, he was saying this offense is awful for an inaccurate QB and the spread would be better.

it would also help with all the blitzing teams do against us.

Yeah I agree the spread would help this O jump start itself

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Quote:
"I think right now with some of the issues that we have, we want to really make sure we focus on Alex Smith," Singletary said. "We want to exhaust all possibilities" with him.

I don't think those words of Singletary's will come as a surprise to anyone who follows the team, whether they are a Smith supporter or not. Singletary's words tell me Smith has to win this game or the next guy in line is going to get his shot. I hope for Smith's sake, as well as the team's, they go to the spread offense early and often. I think if we spread it out and try to move up and down the field in the fashion of most modern NFL offenses, Smith and the rest of the offense will tremendously benefit. Modern offenses move the ball through the air and by causing opposing defenses to commit penalties. Our biggest gain against the Falcons this past Sunday came on a PI call. Did our coaches go back to airing it out after that play? Of course they didn't...

Anyhow, if Smith doesn't get it done, I think our playoff hopes are not only shot for this season, but for many seasons to come. The Rams have built a strong foundation and Bradford looks like the future leader of the division. If we fall apart this year, in a year we were expected by nearly everyone to take the division, a massive rebuild project will be underway.

As for Smith having a great game this weekend, it seems daunting. The Eagles defense gave Smith fits last year and with the way he has played thus far, there isn't many encouraging signs that say he will fair any better this time around.

Originally posted by Smith's stats against Eagles in '09:
Dec 20 @ PHI L 13-27 42.3 20 37 177 4.8 22 3 1

Despite all the doom and gloom previously written, I still do feel like this is our season and I think we're going to defy the odds. Here is to Smith tossing three or more touchdowns and us wiping the Eagles out in The Stick!

If we do that, he'll end the game with 4-6 INTs.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Quote:
"I think right now with some of the issues that we have, we want to really make sure we focus on Alex Smith," Singletary said. "We want to exhaust all possibilities" with him.

I don't think those words of Singletary's will come as a surprise to anyone who follows the team, whether they are a Smith supporter or not. Singletary's words tell me Smith has to win this game or the next guy in line is going to get his shot. I hope for Smith's sake, as well as the team's, they go to the spread offense early and often. I think if we spread it out and try to move up and down the field in the fashion of most modern NFL offenses, Smith and the rest of the offense will tremendously benefit. Modern offenses move the ball through the air and by causing opposing defenses to commit penalties. Our biggest gain against the Falcons this past Sunday came on a PI call. Did our coaches go back to airing it out after that play? Of course they didn't...

Anyhow, if Smith doesn't get it done, I think our playoff hopes are not only shot for this season, but for many seasons to come. The Rams have built a strong foundation and Bradford looks like the future leader of the division. If we fall apart this year, in a year we were expected by nearly everyone to take the division, a massive rebuild project will be underway.

As for Smith having a great game this weekend, it seems daunting. The Eagles defense gave Smith fits last year and with the way he has played thus far, there isn't many encouraging signs that say he will fair any better this time around.

Originally posted by Smith's stats against Eagles in '09:
Dec 20 @ PHI L 13-27 42.3 20 37 177 4.8 22 3 1

Despite all the doom and gloom previously written, I still do feel like this is our season and I think we're going to defy the odds. Here is to Smith tossing three or more touchdowns and us wiping the Eagles out in The Stick!

I think that we need to run more 2 minute drill where Smith has the ability to call his own plays. This team was doing pretty well against the Saints when Smith was doing that. It was one of the reasons we lost cause Smith was so effective in that final series that we didn't take enough time off the clock.

When he doesn't run 2 minute, the Opposing Offense is on the sidelines. When we do we go from one end to the other in the blink of an eye it seems.

FREE ALEX!

~Ceadder
Alex Smith's last opportunity ? You really sharp Sherlock!
I think Troy Smith is a better option than Alex Smith, they are both piss poor throwers but at least Troy Smith is a better athlete and the defense would have to account for his legs.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Earth to Sing: We've exhausted all possibilities with Smith.

He's fvcked up beyond repair. Smiths is the equivalent to a really nice car that was a fixer upper when you bought it...you finally get around to finishing the car only the find out it was actually totaled recently.

The guys done. Let's try our other options. Id really like to see what Troy could do. We know what we have in Carr. I mean I'm ok with giving Smith one more game but this absolutely has to be his last HALF.

Cosigned. On the bright side with Carr, he's never played behind an OL this talented and his career passer rating is 75. THat might be good enough to get us some wins.
Share 49ersWebzone