There are 157 users in the forums

Sounds like this may be Smith's last opportunity.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
much to my chingrin, Smith will do just enough this season to not lose his job. I know it.

That would suck. What would not suck is if he became a consistent QB. I've given up hope on that, though.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
much to my chingrin, Smith will do just enough this season to not lose his job. I know it.

That would suck. What would not suck is if he became a consistent QB. I've given up hope on that, though.

I don't think that's going to happen. He did just enough last season to keep his job. This season he has to prove more and if Singletary gets fired, I doubt Smith will be back. You really think a new head coach is going to come in here and try to win games with Smith? If we don't make the playoffs, expect a new HC followed by a new QB next year. The only way both of them are back is if we somehow make the playoffs, IMO.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.

[ Edited by sf49ersx11 on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
I think if we spread it out and try to move up and down the field in the fashion of most modern NFL offenses, Smith and the rest of the offense will tremendously benefit. Modern offenses move the ball through the air and by causing opposing defenses to commit penalties. Our biggest gain against the Falcons this past Sunday came on a PI call. Did our coaches go back to airing it out after that play? Of course they didn't...
i'm not against pass-first but i'm against forcing to move the ball through the air if it's not the optimal choice for the given roster. but it would be better if we use our weapons, at least as a razzle-dazzle. for example: westbrook, dixon/gore, crabtree, a second receiver and davis should confuse the defenses more than enough.

Did you watch the team last year? We had our most success moving the ball and scoring points when we utilized the spread. That doesn't mean we have to go full spread, but we need to mix it in. Being diverse keeps opposing defenses honest.

Now I am understanding why there is "trout" in your handle.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
i'm just sick of how many chances Smith gets on this team just because he was our #1 pick!!!

you could see this guy just doesn't have it, he doesn't!!! ole' happy non accurate passing feet of a pathetic QB we got!!!

get rid of this guy, so we can start over at the QB position. i'm even up for letting Davis play out the season to see what he can do...

I've kept my mouth shut and backed the guy long enough.

2010 offense has better players than 2006 offense.

Yet Alex Smith is still making the same mistakes and playing worse in 2010.

Note: whenever Alex has been "Free'd" bad things have happened. There's a reason why we are conservative on offense.

I think this was more of the reason why Lewis left than people think. I could be totally wrong, but when the big offensive guys like Gore, Davis and Morgan all started praising Smith, before the season started, it sounded more like they were trying to convince themselves than anyone else. I feel the defense is really wanting a change. If you're playing your ass off, bad game or not and you get the same old results from the offense, I'm sure some guys are going to eventually let show in their play. Like I said I could be very wrong.

Agree completely. the praise for Smith was the kind of reserved praise you find for people who are "challenged." When guys are confident, they will say things like "wow, that guy is flat out great" or "wait and see-- you will find out how good he is." Instead it was "he looks more confident" or "he seems to be in charge."

As far as the Lewis debacle, players are often OK with riding the pine for a winning team, but when you have lost faith in the organization, why would you stick around?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well the skins beat the Eagles with McNabb only completing 8 passes. They just ran the ball down there throats all day.

Exactly
Ninertalk facts: Smith's interceptions are...

50% are the receivers fault.
15% are the OC fault for poor play design.
10% are the OC fault for predictable play design.
10% are the offensive line's fault.
5% are Singletary's fault for putting too much pressure on the kid.
5% are the defense's fault
3% are Gore's fault
1% is because he has to play on the road
0.5% are your momma's fault
0.5% are Smith's fault.
Alice smith's permanent stat line: 20-35 175 yards 1td, 2ints
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by ninersush:
dude i'm sorry but i have to disagree 100% w the statement that smith might become a probowler elsewhere. he just doesnt appear to have it. if he proves wrong great for him. and his success in the spread was when we were typicall down like 14+ when defenses had relaxed. so i'd take his stats from last year w many grains of salt. and furthermore this year he just doesnt have it.

The spread offense is the modern NFL offense. Alex Smith is lights out in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3p3dmpC1M

Watch that video of his game trying drive against the Saints. Do you realize Kyle Orton is leading the league in passing? That is how Denver plays on nearly every snap. And while Denver isn't an elite team, they are one with a winning record that competes in nearly every game.

Say whaaaaaaaaa

You've seen it.

Lights out?? Ive seen him play well in the spread but not lights out. The spread doesnt cure his innacuracy

What a passing offense does is not make every single pass super important. You can throw two or three bad ones in a row and still get it done because you throw so many.

Reason #47 why the Sing offense sucks: the Sing offense is supposed to make it easier on the QB, make him less important but it does exactly the opposite because every pass is a complete it or punt situation. This puts more, not less pressure on the QB and every incomplete is subject to endless scrutiny because each pass is almost a win or lose proposition.

Originally posted by highwayone:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

• bret
  • Veteran

The average NFL CAREER is 4 1/2 years. After 6 years Alex can't prove he deserves to be on the field, and you think he needs more time for the switch to go off?!?!?!?!?
Originally posted by bret:

The average NFL CAREER is 4 1/2 years. After 6 years Alex can't prove he deserves to be on the field, and you think he needs more time for the switch to go off?!?!?!?!?

PT Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every day. And some of them will become Niners fans.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Originally posted by ninersush:
dude i'm sorry but i have to disagree 100% w the statement that smith might become a probowler elsewhere. he just doesnt appear to have it. if he proves wrong great for him. and his success in the spread was when we were typicall down like 14+ when defenses had relaxed. so i'd take his stats from last year w many grains of salt. and furthermore this year he just doesnt have it.

The spread offense is the modern NFL offense. Alex Smith is lights out in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3p3dmpC1M

Watch that video of his game trying drive against the Saints. Do you realize Kyle Orton is leading the league in passing? That is how Denver plays on nearly every snap. And while Denver isn't an elite team, they are one with a winning record that competes in nearly every game.

Say whaaaaaaaaa

You've seen it.

Lights out?? Ive seen him play well in the spread but not lights out. The spread doesnt cure his innacuracy

What a passing offense does is not make every single pass super important. You can throw two or three bad ones in a row and still get it done because you throw so many.

Reason #47 why the Sing offense sucks: the Sing offense is supposed to make it easier on the QB, make him less important but it does exactly the opposite because every pass is a complete it or punt situation. This puts more, not less pressure on the QB and every incomplete is subject to endless scrutiny because each pass is almost a win or lose proposition.

Exactly. This is what ex-49er Dave Kopay was explaining as I watched the game with him this past Sunday as well. The way we play, we put unnecessary pressure on Smith. The offese is to dink and dunk. We just need to take shots down the field with our play-makers.
Share 49ersWebzone