• tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Smith can audible but didn't have to here. You just have to watch the play...

Yep. Terrible play by Smith, but even worse by Vernon Davis (per Matt Maiocco).

Was a three step drop, I think it was a hot route to VD. VD didn't look back and Smith had to go elsewhere. Smith should have taken the sack, but he jump passed over Gore. lol @ what a terrible team we have.

Good thing you said per MM, b/c I was about to say you must be crazy to think VD is the reason Alex Smith pulled a retard jump pass to Gore, lol.
LOL.

What sucks is that up to that point he was having a good game.

Definitely. Dude just makes one mistake and goes down the toilet, lol. I'm pretty much done with him, but if we win against the Eagles he has to go on a win streak here (Eagles, @Carolina, Raiders, Denver) for me to want him as our QB. Otherwise put in Nate Davis already.

That's a sign of to much pressure to make things happen. It seems like the whole team feels this way seeing how they all are making mistakes.

Maybe we need a "Bellhop" moment.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by suso365:
You guys are right. The offense scored 7 points. Last time I checked there are 11 players on offense. Not just a qb.

Not in Niner Talk. Here, wins are because of 10 players, while losses are because of one - the QB.

What wins do you speak of?
You guys are right. The offense scored 7 points. Last time I checked there are 11 players on offense. Not just a qb.

Not in Niner Talk. Here, wins are because of 10 players, while losses are because of one - the QB.

I don't remember what a win week feels like,

Truthfully, I'm a huge warriors/giants/sharks fan, but Niners are my true love. this team is so painful to watch right now.
[ Edited by Method on Oct 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM ]

I don't remember what a win week feels like,

Truthfully, I'm a huge warriors/giants/sharks fan, but Niners are my true love. this team is so painful to watch right now.

Same with me. I'm a huge Giants fan but I'm still a much bigger Niners fan than Giants...

But the G-men being in the playoffs does help .
Another thing:

This has been a pretty terrible schedule through the first 4 games for the Niners. Very unbalanced.

@ Seattle - We've consistently sucked on the road, and we just can't seem to beat these guys in Seattle at all. Considered a top 3 or 4 tough place to play in the NFL.
Saints - 2nd game of the season against the Superbowl champs? s**tty. We had a chance to win this one, but no one expected us to IMO.
@ Kansas City - Arrowhead is the place where we haven't won in like 16 years or something ridiculous. KC outcoached, out played, just were better in this game. We had very little chance to win.
@ Atlanta - What the hell? Three away games to start the season with no home games yet against the NFC West? Another game we should have won, but no one thought we would.

Eagles at home is a game we should win, especially without Vick. If we don't, this season is completely over, but look at the schedule afterwards, MUCH easier.

@ Carolina - One of the few teams who've looked worse then the Niners, and are also 0-4, lol
Raiders - At home we should win this game.
Denver - In London, and Kyle Orton has looked really good in the Denver offense. Tough game, but if we win that'd be 4 straight. This is all very reasonable, so I hope our team is up to the task.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Method, our hopes were for the entire team, but, IMO, non so much so than Alex Smith. Everything rode on this kid's shoulders offensively, everything. His inconsistency cost us several games, not just one. Also, he continues to display the same ol stuff week in and out, failure above else.

They execute, the entire team. They just do it inconsistently especially the QB.

That's what losing us the games at all levels.

Inconsistency.

I disagree.

I feel like this team was supposed to be built around a "great defense." There's definitely inconsistency from the Quarterback, but there's never been anyone saying he has to be the most efficient player for this team to win. Never. Everyone, including Singletary, has said that this team is supposed to be built around their defense. Right now it looks like it's a 20-23rd defense, not top 8 like I was hoping. If this team was top 8 defensively, we'd be in every game no matter how our offense plays, and the way Singletary built the offense, it would be hard for them to have any consistency at all because the game plan's have been terrible under Jimmy Raye. Maybe now with Mike Johnson the offense can do better, but I guess they have to be better then our defense?

Method you said it right there. For the past few weeks, i've been saying that no one looks at the Defense. And in the NO game, those that say nay, Smith did put the game on his shoulders, and brought us back. Our top D, is what caved in.

In the Falcons game, Smith and Ryan threw for 1 TD, and 2 int's, but the Falcons helped their Qb with good D. Ours had the game wrapped up with i think 52 seconds and let them come all the way back.

People can just focus on the QB, because it is one of the most important positions. However, this week, and in all weeks past, Qb's have been playing horrible, but another aspect of the team steps up. With us, it's like just like they say with Smith.

Everything has to be perfect in order for us to win. Like it or not the NO game and Falcons were ugly games as some would call it. But it's the great teams that get it done in the end. And we were in the NO, and Falcons game up until the last minute, and the D fell apart. I say give Smith his blame, but also point at the reality that the D didnt hold when we needed them most.
IF we win 4 straight I'd definitely be back on the playoff bandwagon. Thing is though, we've already lost games we should have won so what makes us think we aren't going to lose more games we "should" win.
Another thing:

This has been a pretty terrible schedule through the first 4 games for the Niners. Very unbalanced.

@ Seattle - We've consistently sucked on the road, and we just can't seem to beat these guys in Seattle at all. Considered a top 3 or 4 tough place to play in the NFL.
Saints - 2nd game of the season against the Superbowl champs? s**tty. We had a chance to win this one, but no one expected us to IMO.
@ Kansas City - Arrowhead is the place where we haven't won in like 16 years or something ridiculous. KC outcoached, out played, just were better in this game. We had very little chance to win.
@ Atlanta - What the hell? Three away games to start the season with no home games yet against the NFC West? Another game we should have won, but no one thought we would.

Eagles at home is a game we should win, especially without Vick. If we don't, this season is completely over, but look at the schedule afterwards, MUCH easier.

@ Carolina - One of the few teams who've looked worse then the Niners, and are also 0-4, lol
Raiders - At home we should win this game.
Denver - In London, and Kyle Orton has looked really good in the Denver offense. Tough game, but if we win that'd be 4 straight. This is all very reasonable, so I hope our team is up to the task.

That is why I said after the Saints loss, "We can start 0-5 and probably still win the division as long as the team can hold it together mentally."
IF we win 4 straight I'd definitely be back on the playoff bandwagon. Thing is though, we've already lost games we should have won so what makes us think we aren't going to lose more games we "should" win.

It all revolves around this week. Make or break in my mind. You'll not see another positive post about Alex Smith from me ever again if he chokes in this game like he did against Atlanta.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Method, our hopes were for the entire team, but, IMO, non so much so than Alex Smith. Everything rode on this kid's shoulders offensively, everything. His inconsistency cost us several games, not just one. Also, he continues to display the same ol stuff week in and out, failure above else.

They execute, the entire team. They just do it inconsistently especially the QB.

Inconsistency.

I disagree.

I feel like this team was supposed to be built around a "great defense." There's definitely inconsistency from the Quarterback, but there's never been anyone saying he has to be the most efficient player for this team to win. Never. Everyone, including Singletary, has said that this team is supposed to be built around their defense. Right now it looks like it's a 20-23rd defense, not top 8 like I was hoping. If this team was top 8 defensively, we'd be in every game no matter how our offense plays, and the way Singletary built the offense, it would be hard for them to have any consistency at all because the game plan's have been terrible under Jimmy Raye. Maybe now with Mike Johnson the offense can do better, but I guess they have to be better then our defense?

Method you said it right there. For the past few weeks, i've been saying that no one looks at the Defense. And in the NO game, those that say nay, Smith did put the game on his shoulders, and brought us back. Our top D, is what caved in.

In the Falcons game, Smith and Ryan threw for 1 TD, and 2 int's, but the Falcons helped their Qb with good D. Ours had the game wrapped up with i think 52 seconds and let them come all the way back.

People can just focus on the QB, because it is one of the most important positions. However, this week, and in all weeks past, Qb's have been playing horrible, but another aspect of the team steps up. With us, it's like just like they say with Smith.

Everything has to be perfect in order for us to win. Like it or not the NO game and Falcons were ugly games as some would call it. But it's the great teams that get it done in the end. And we were in the NO, and Falcons game up until the last minute, and the D fell apart. I say give Smith his blame, but also point at the reality that the D didnt hold when we needed them most.

Our team is struggling to take the step of "learning to win football games." Look at the past two seasons and look at all the blown losses against quality opponents. I thought this year we would take that step and be a top-tier team. I still think we can get there, but it has to happen this week.

I'd say there's equal blame to go around...offense, defense and ST's. None have been consistently good, and therein lies the problem. I'd agree Alex's bonehead plays have hurt...but so have poor receiver routes, too many between the tackle runs for negligible gains, shoot, even Andy Lee's not having his typical season. It's all over, the ineptitude...and while a good share of it's just poor execution, it's also on the coaches to get the players better.
lmao

you're an alex smith homer

you mentioned the lack of execution on defense

if the offense executes, ie no 2 turnovers in the redzone against the saints and two drive killing turnovers against the falcons

this team could be 2-2

How can you possibly be upset with a D they gave up 16 pts after constantly getting put in bad positions against the Falcons on the road? The offense scored 7 pts!

Agree our problem begins with horrid O play!
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Inconsistency.

I disagree.

Against the Falcons the offense scored 7 points. Even with the 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens defense you aren't going to win many games when your offense scores 7 points.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Inconsistency.

I disagree.

I agree that both Alex and the D came with high expectations and both have failed to reach them.

Still, Alex has been the constant inconsistent member of this team. We are talking about a difference between one person's VS a squad's impact on this team. I have been Alex's staunch supporter through out the years, but this was the year. This one.

And he has failed miserably even in the NO game.

I still say we have been inconsistent in all facets of the game, but none so much as the QB position.

I hear ya about the D and they too deserve much of the blame, but the top of the inconsistent totem pole is Alex's face.
Share 49ersWebzone