There are 283 users in the forums

New HC + New QB + New Owner = Winner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I see a lot of posts about what this team needs to do to turn it around? I think the answer has been obvoius for a long time. We have not had a proven QB since Jeff Garcia, and we still don't. The NFL is currently a passing driven league, and it's very hard to win without a QB who can make plays consistently, and keep mistakes to a minimum. Singletary and York have put all their eggs in the Alex Smith basket, and the gamble has failed. And by doing this, it has further postponed our ability to be successful. Now we will have to wait another year to re-tool the QB position. If Alex had been allowed to play behind a proven veteran mentor for awhile, maybe things would be different, but I just don't think Alex has the make-up to be a great NFL QB. The york's have failed us for years, and there two biggest mistakes in the past six years were hiring two guys who were not qualified to be head coaches. This ownership has never been agressive in going out and getting the best people available for coaching and front office positions, and until we do, we will continue to be out-coached and out-manuevered, and will remain mediocre. We need a coach who understands the game as it has played today, not someone who is trying to re-create the 1985 Chicago Bears. That type of approach doesn't work anymore. No matter how hard he has tried, Singletary has never been ablee to impose our will on NFL teams. That's because we have a terrible passing attack and a predictable offense, so all teams have to do is stop Frank Gore. You need to have balance in this day and age for the running game to blossom.

In my opinion, if this organization is serious about winning again, this is what we need to do:

1. Hire a smart, experienced, proven head coach who understands both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.
2. Sign the best veteran QB we can find in free agency next year.
3. Do whatever we have to do to draft one of the top college QB's coming out next year (Mallett, Locker, Luck?) Let this guy play behind the veteran that we sign for at least one year.
4. Sign or draft a top cover corner. We need to improve our talent and depth at this position.
5. Sign the best pass-rushing free agent OLB or DE we can find. Lawson and Haralson are inconsistent (despite Parys' 2 sacks last week). Laboy and Brooks may come around, but we still need a better pass rush.
6. Re-sign Aubrayo Franklin, so we don't have to worry about filling that hole in the off-season.
You pretty much nailed it. A great QB can really make you look good. Imagine what the Cardinals would be doing with Kurt Warner even with Boldin. I guarantee they'd be the front runners.

Hire Gruden, grab Jeff Garcia and develop a young QB.
didn't read, but just by the thread title, I agree. Owner's not gonna change though. I think we can with with a decent QB. By decent, I mean averaging 2td's, and at the most, 1int per game.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
New HC + New Players + New Owner = Winner! If this really is what we get for the rest of the season, then BLOW EVERYTHING UP!

But have a plan first, a BETTER PLAN!
Originally posted by Nes49:
New HC + New Players + New Owner = Winner! If this really is what we get for the rest of the season, then BLOW EVERYTHING UP!

Whats the plan?
+ better CB's + better Safety's + at least one better WR + 1 dominant pass rusher.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I see a lot of posts about what this team needs to do to turn it around? I think the answer has been obvoius for a long time. We have not had a proven QB since Jeff Garcia, and we still don't. The NFL is currently a passing driven league, and it's very hard to win without a QB who can make plays consistently, and keep mistakes to a minimum. Singletary and York have put all their eggs in the Alex Smith basket, and the gamble has failed. And by doing this, it has further postponed our ability to be successful. Now we will have to wait another year to re-tool the QB position. If Alex had been allowed to play behind a proven veteran mentor for awhile, maybe things would be different, but I just don't think Alex has the make-up to be a great NFL QB. The york's have failed us for years, and there two biggest mistakes in the past six years were hiring two guys who were not qualified to be head coaches. This ownership has never been agressive in going out and getting the best people available for coaching and front office positions, and until we do, we will continue to be out-coached and out-manuevered, and will remain mediocre. We need a coach who understands the game as it has played today, not someone who is trying to re-create the 1985 Chicago Bears. That type of approach doesn't work anymore. No matter how hard he has tried, Singletary has never been ablee to impose our will on NFL teams. That's because we have a terrible passing attack and a predictable offense, so all teams have to do is stop Frank Gore. You need to have balance in this day and age for the running game to blossom.

In my opinion, if this organization is serious about winning again, this is what we need to do:

1. Hire a smart, experienced, proven head coach who understands both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.
3. Do whatever we have to do to draft one of the top college QB's coming out next year (Mallett, Locker, Luck?) Let this guy play behind the veteran that we sign for at least one year.
4. Sign or draft a top cover corner. We need to improve our talent and depth at this position.
5. Sign the best pass-rushing free agent OLB or DE we can find. Lawson and Haralson are inconsistent (despite Parys' 2 sacks last week). Laboy and Brooks may come around, but we still need a better pass rush.
6. Re-sign Aubrayo Franklin, so we don't have to worry about filling that hole in the off-season.

I'm not so sure that Aubrayo has that much left. He's looked soft so far.
I agree we should go after a solid Veteran QB. Yes we need a top flight CB, we may have to find that in the draft.
I agree we need to Let Lawson walk. He's a joke. I watch him carefully on everyplay, man he dog's it so much, f**k him and his potential. Haralson is to up & down.
Get rid of the somoan. He's weak. I bet he doesn't start on most NFL teams.
Laboy killed me watching that last ATL drive, he got tired to quick, he let up.
Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
You pretty much nailed it. A great QB can really make you look good. Imagine what the Cardinals would be doing with Kurt Warner even with Boldin. I guarantee they'd be the front runners.

Hire Gruden, grab Jeff Garcia and develop a young QB.

is garcia even a free agent?
Originally posted by Nes49:

Read my post instead of just the headline, then you will see what I propose.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:

Choose 2 or 3 of these things and then you can start making a realistic argument

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
+ better CB's + better Safety's + at least one better WR + 1 dominant pass rusher.

I cant believe we have like a 10 year rebuilding plan

Worst owners in FB, yes Al Davis is the 2nd worst
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

i agree with what you are suggesting, but you really have to throw in a GM. A GM will need to take the vision of what he or the owners want in a winner and build upon what we currently have on the roster. someone mentioned playing the cards you were dealt (the players) and adding/subtracting from that hand. IT ALL STARTS AT THE TOP!
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

+ new stadium!!!
we should really call it extenze stadium... we need to rise!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone