LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

Who's pulling the strings upstairs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This has been the most interesting question I have had thus far. I don't for a minute believe Singletary has complete control of this team.

It's pretty obvious when he says Jimmy Raye won't be fired then the next day he's done.

My biggest question concerns who decided to trade Shaun Hill? The same guy who did exactly what Singletary wanted. Controlled offense, no mistakes. let the defense win games.

I heard today that Shaun Hill was traded to eliminate competition for Alex Smith. As much as I bash Singletary as a head coach I can't see him wanting to get rid of Shaun.

Good Question

I swear I just said the same thing in another thread!

It's very weird but more than anything disheartening. Yet we all should hold on to hope for a fix this year and beyond. Mediocrity seems to be okay for the ownership.

Where you at SanDiego49er

1) Shaun Hill was traded because he sucks.
2) The original question and answer is "NOBODY." We don't even have a GM... We have the son of an idiot who thinks he knows something. But he too is an idiot and knows nothing. That's why we are in the position we are in.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I think Jed York doesn't know how to run a football team, so he defers to Baalke and Sing. Baalke only knows how to pick talented players, so he defers team management to Sing. Sing only knows how to give motivational speeches, so he defers to his OC and DC, one of whom he had to throw under the bus for following ill conceived directions that Sing gave him to begin with.

I think the problem is, nobody is calling the shots. Sing's pathetic news conference today sealed the deal: Sing doesn't even know what's going on with his own team.

When Sing gets fired after this season, the ONLY job he can ever get in the NFL is LB coach. He will never get elevated to DC because he doesn't know his X's and O's, and he will never be a HC again for obvious reasons.

This pains me to say this, but even Nolan was more in control of things than Sing is right now.
jed needs to man the hell up and ask mommy and daddy to pony up the money for an experienced and successful head of operations guy to oversee and get the stink out of this organization
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
jed needs to man the hell up and ask mommy and daddy to pony up the money for an experienced and successful head of operations guy to oversee and get the stink out of this organization

But I thought he knew enough being around Uncle Eddie
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think Jed York doesn't know how to run a football team, so he defers to Baalke and Sing. Baalke only knows how to pick talented players, so he defers team management to Sing. Sing only knows how to give motivational speeches, so he defers to his OC and DC, one of whom he had to throw under the bus for following ill conceived directions that Sing gave him to begin with.

I think the problem is, nobody is calling the shots. Sing's pathetic news conference today sealed the deal: Sing doesn't even know what's going on with his own team.

When Sing gets fired after this season, the ONLY job he can ever get in the NFL is LB coach. He will never get elevated to DC because he doesn't know his X's and O's, and he will never be a HC again for obvious reasons.

This pains me to say this, but even Nolan was more in control of things than Sing is right now.

LOL. It's true. It just keeps getting better and better. One thing this season has been good for is comedy relief. All you can do is laugh. We can't fix it. Only the ownership and management can.

This is the truth... Sing is not even close to being a coach and never will be. He can't even get through a press conference without sounding like a fool. We just have to hope that Jed grows up and learns from his mistakes. Upper management has been a joke since the Eddie D crew left.

I don't know about the Nolan comment, but the rest of your post seems to be spot on. I also think that there is an intimidation factor, of Singletary on Jed. I hope that Jed is talking with his Uncle Eddie. He could do a lot worse.

A true Head of Football Operations (HOFO) would understand that in today's NFL, you must have a dominating X and O man at the heelm, preferably an offensive X and O guy. Jed never had that executive to make that point when he decided to fire Nolan and hire Singletary in the same breath. Imaginw what Shanahan could have done with the offensive talent on this team! And Shanahan was available, shortly after Jed hired Singletary, without an outside search. Water over the dam now.

I would also add that too many players, especially on offense, don't seem to know their assignments, i.e. where to line-up, when & how to go in motion, crowding each other on pass routes, etc. One would think that this is a coaching deficiency, but maybe, just maybe, some of these Niner players are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Do dumb mistakes simply mean dumb players? Could be.
I can't believe we have all of the guys I mentioned plus Westbrook/Walker/Ginn and he still can't get them the ball!

Ginn's been out the last two weeks... Walker got hurt in the 2nd quarter and Westbrook really hasn't seen any action but the couple times he has been in Smith got him the ball. I will say that Smith has been checking down a lot (maybe too much) but Frank Gore can make things happen and pick up 1st downs that way.

Sidenote: Anyone know when Ginn/Will James will be back? We sure could use them.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I can't believe we have all of the guys I mentioned plus Westbrook/Walker/Ginn and he still can't get them the ball!

Ginn's been out the last two weeks... Walker got hurt in the 2nd quarter and Westbrook really hasn't seen any action but the couple times he has been in Smith got him the ball.

Sidenote: Anyone know when Ginn/Will James will be back? We sure could use them.

Be nice to have Will James back instead of having to put Tarel FREAKING Brown on Roddy White
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Ginn's been out the last two weeks... Walker got hurt in the 2nd quarter and Westbrook really hasn't seen any action but the couple times he has been in Smith got him the ball.

Be nice to have Will James back instead of having to put Tarel FREAKING Brown on Roddy White

Not sure what James will bring but he can't be much worse than Brown who has REALLY regressed this year. I'm actually pretty happy with our starting CBs overall for the year though. They have given up some big key plays but aren't doing as bad as I thought they would. I wonder how many receiving yards went against those two this year. I'd bet a lot of the receiving yards have gone on Goldson's tab....Brown as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM ]

Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Great question. It could be that we have the only Team President in the NFL who has been asking his uncle what to do.

Sorry but I really doubt Jed has been asking Eddie what to do.

He sure needs to!

How about we just ask an experienced GM who has been in the NFL recently?

Just got up and found this thread full of realistic ideas about the state of our beloved team. Refreshing.
Shaj and Jimbagg, not surprisingly, have their finger on the problem, and the likely fix. I would disagree on a point or two, and that is:

Rather than not engaging in O and D calls, my strong suspicion is that this team that looked so good in preseason had the O and D called by MJ and manusk. ONce season started, it was back to 1985 football, "3 yds and a cloud of dust..and then out". Once season started, I firmly believe bigmike(BM) started micromanaging every call, both O and D. Why? Well, how come in PS we saw no PREVENT D, just a hard charging D that ran like a swiss watch. On O we looked great in PS, then again once season started, BM took over and made the calls, even if JR sent them in...belatedly.
Why do i think BM took over O once season started? How about the "3 franks"...right , left, and up the middle? Did that look like PS? No. Did it look like 1985 BEars football? yes.

Contrary to others, i think our problems reside with one guy, BM , and his micromanaging both O and D. Look at the calls he has made and you will see it fits. Knows nothing, nada , zippo re: ST, has no idea how to teach WRs to run crisp routes, has an antiquated game plan, has no idea how to coach up a very good OL, which now is in disarray, and until 10 days ago, continued his 18 mos of getting plays in late. REason? BM was trying to think what he should do on next play of 2nd and 5...worse, he needed a TO to figure what to call.

No, i think BM is the bad news behind our amazing fall from grace, and when guys are laughing at sideline as we go 0-4, they were laughing at their HC, who is, truly funny in his ineptitude as a HC. Shaj and Jimbagg are both correct, that the only thing this amateur can get after this gig is a LB coaching job. He can't do anything else. Don't believe it? just look what he has delivered...Nada, nothing, zip... and he has lost his locker room, which always presages a HC leaving. This is noln all over again, who, i might add , was BMs only mentor. Sheesh, who would want that on his resume.

Nope guys, MJ and manusk can run this team just fine, way better than having the stinky BM albatross hanging around their necks...and in their earphones. I repeat:

ONe and Done...one more loss and BM gets sacked. To keep him around would only make this team more of a joke than it already is. NO way MJ or manusk can do worse. And let baalke get going on finding the best OC out there to come in here as HC. ONE and DONE , baby, ONE and DONE.
This has been the most interesting question I have had thus far. I don't for a minute believe Singletary has complete control of this team.

It's pretty obvious when he says Jimmy Raye won't be fired then the next day he's done.

My biggest question concerns who decided to trade Shaun Hill? The same guy who did exactly what Singletary wanted. Controlled offense, no mistakes. let the defense win games.

I heard today that Shaun Hill was traded to eliminate competition for Alex Smith. As much as I bash Singletary as a head coach I can't see him wanting to get rid of Shaun.

Good Question

Agreed... Why would you get rid of Shaun Hill for David Carr? It makes absolutely no sense!

Hill already knew the system... why would you get rid of him. I don't know the money implications (i don't get into that), maybe that had something to do with it.

I love this team... have for the past 25yrs but we are the laughing stock of the NFL right along with the Raiders.

Problem is Westbrook (who knows why) and Ginn (injuries) have not seen significant game time. I would love to have Gore and Westbrook both in there at the same time and see what plays we can come up with. We desperately need Ginn in there to help stretch the field.
Originally posted by rk1642:

Problem is Westbrook (who knows why) and Ginn (injuries) have not seen significant game time. I would love to have Gore and Westbrook both in there at the same time and see what plays we can come up with. We desperately need Ginn in there to help stretch the field.

We need to go to a full out spread offense with no huddles even if it kills us.

At least we would play to alex'x strengths since we wont be changing QB's this year
Share 49ersWebzone