LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Benching the starting QB during a game sends a message

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I say trade Alex Smith for anything.

Of course the only way someone will take him is if we offer something in addition.

Maybe Smith + a 1st for someones 3rd
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Didn't Kolb go down with injury? Without that injury Vick still hasn't seen the field.

ya but when he was healthy to come back they benched him for Vick. Then the same thing happened vise versa.
Garcia got benched then he came back with a vengeance.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Of course the only way someone will take him is if we offer something in addition.

Trade Alex for Shaun Hill. I bet the Lions say 'No', lol.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

Trade Alex for Shaun Hill. I bet the Lions say 'No', lol.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Alex Smith being benched = season is completely over. You don't know football if you don't realize this.

At least wait for a loss to the Eagles.

Season already over with Smith in there, so I don't see the difference.

That's my point.

No QB on this team offers any better chance to win than Alex. At least he's got experience with the system and has more talent.

I'd rather see what Carr can do mid-game, instead of penciling in Alex's 2 INTs a game. If Alex has 2 ints, i'll pull him right there just to send a message, you can't make those kind of decisions/high throws week in and week out. You are our starter but protect the damn ball and give us a chance to win.

Yeah I like the way Jeff Fisher handled the VY benching during mid-game a week ago. Reporters asked will Kerry Collins be the starter and he was straight up and said "No Vince is our starter, I just felt like we needed a spark during the game"....straight up. Now that's coaching leadership, Fisher is truly one of the finest in the game.

Sing has no clue on how to coach an entire team, and make vital decisions like that especially on game day.
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM ]
  • gage
  • Veteran
Speak of the devil.

Add Henne to the list.
Originally posted by gage:
Speak of the devil.

Add Henne to the list.

updated
Alex Smith being benched = season is completely over. You don't know football if you don't realize this.

Season over? We may be 0-4 but season's by no means over. We're two games out of first place and got five games left within the division. Also, the schedule finally gives the 49ers some should-win games. Now, we've seen you never know what to expect of the Niners, but saying the season's over is just depressed, emo-kid talk. There's plenty of football to be played and Alex Smith, interceptions and all, is the guy we're going with in 2010. Accept it already. No one else is coming and saving the 49ers. It's Smith or bust in 2010.

So we better hope that by some miracle this Smith guy gets it together. We've seen his flashes. If he can't, then damn, that really sucks. We'll see you in 2011.
Geesh, the majority of the people on these boards would make horrible athletes. They give up before the season is even close to being half-way over.

You want to bench Smith? For who? Carr? Junk. Troy? Yeah right. Nate Davis? The guy cleared waivers, which means every other team in the league doesn't think too highly of him as he rots away on the training squad.

People need to take a chill pill and let the season play out. The Niners started off well last year and ended up in mediocrity. For all we know the Niners may start off slow and then pick up steam as the season goes on, ending in a great season or playoff run. Have some faith and don't be such defeatists.

Alex will get the s**t booooooed out of him at the stick on Sunday if he has 2 INTs, then they will make a change because the coaching staff are do get influenced by the crowd.
Originally posted by zocool16:

Season over? We may be 0-4 but season's by no means over. We're two games out of first place and got five games left within the division. Also, the schedule finally gives the 49ers some should-win games. Now, we've seen you never know what to expect of the Niners, but saying the season's over is just depressed, emo-kid talk. There's plenty of football to be played and Alex Smith, interceptions and all, is the guy we're going with in 2010. Accept it already. No one else is coming and saving the 49ers. It's Smith or bust in 2010.

So we better hope that by some miracle this Smith guy gets it together. We've seen his flashes. If he can't, then damn, that really sucks. We'll see you in 2011.

Should win games for the 49ers this year?

There is no such thing.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Geesh, the majority of the people on these boards would make horrible athletes. They give up before the season is even close to being half-way over.

You want to bench Smith? For who? Carr? Junk. Troy? Yeah right. Nate Davis? The guy cleared waivers, which means every other team in the league doesn't think too highly of him as he rots away on the training squad.

People need to take a chill pill and let the season play out. The Niners started off well last year and ended up in mediocrity. For all we know the Niners may start off slow and then pick up steam as the season goes on, ending in a great season or playoff run. Have some faith and don't be such defeatists.

I'm hoping we can win 5 out of 6, but I'm saying Alex needs a consequence if he keeps turning the ball over EVERY game. like I said before, Carr might not be better, but maybe he wont make as many mistakes.

The book on how to beat the Niners is out:

The defensive philosophy against the 49ers, as it's been all year, is to force the 49ers to go down field bit by bit and to assume that the 49ers will make a mistake along the way. That strategy, of course, paid off when promising drives later in the game ended with Smith interceptions. One of the team's big-play threats, Walker, might not play next week with an ankle injury. The 49ers really could use another, Ted Ginn, to return from a knee sprain suffered in Week 1.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/niners-offense.html#ixzz11S3fVeJ4

Carr might not be as talented but if we are giving what a defense gives us, dink and dunk 10+ drives 3-4 times a game, we cant give the ball away, we need to capitalize.
Smith has no business being on the team in the first place. We should have cut our losses and gotten rid of him. He's never going to get better than this. This is what he is. He can't connect on long passes. His touch is suspect. I'm waiting for him to pull a Jim Everett and fall down with no one near him. What they ever saw in him I will never understand. I'm not saying Rodgers would have wound up any different here. You can't compare the two because they ended up in totally different situations. A lot of other teams passed on Rodgers as well. It just looks bad because of the player he became. Smith has never developed into anything resembling a championship level QB. You can argue all you want to, but he's still making the same mistakes. I don't think much of Carr either.
I would only want that to happen if Troy Smith would start but unfortunately we have David Carr. It's hard to want the niners to win when Andrew Luck is coming in the draft next year. Its playoffs or bust Smith and if u cant get us there then we are gonna send u packing and draft Luck or Locker
Share 49ersWebzone