There are 247 users in the forums

Tale of 2 QB's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rk1642:
Based on the team we were 7 years ago, do you think just drafting a different QB that year would have put us anywhere other than where we are now? Please reply with rational observations this is not just an Alex thread.

if we did this if we did that. Look, drafting Alex over Rodgers was a mistake but you cant sit in your chair and say, "what if" Otherwise you will become depressed. Dude, everything happens for a reason. Maybe the QB that we draft in 2011 will be better than rodgers( Andrew Luck or Jake Locker)
Originally posted by global_nomad:
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

What sane person thinks Rodgers career would not have been negatively impacted compared to what it became with the Packers? If you understand that point, you should understand why this is not something worth trying to compare as equal terms.
What's really crazy to think about is that the team would have been better off staying with Tim Rattay at QB, as he actually had some very good games against very good teams. Not only did Rattay actually beat some good teams, he passed for 300+ yards several times, as opposed to Alex, who has never - I don't think - passed for 300 (in many more starts).
[ Edited by SBinMT on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
What if Leinert came out that year like everyone thought he would?
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by susweel:
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

Thought most of the Alex haters would come out to play but what I was trying to get at was that we we a horrible team then with zero play makers.

So a Rodgers starting on that team the next year equals what, how many wins, does he turn into the player he is today or would he have been ruined like Alex.

To just say that Rodgers was the answer is so simplistic it makes me sick. We had no oline (for all of the last 7 years), have had no WR's to throw to and 6 different OC's.

I know Alex is the common thread throught all of this but I think the biggest problem we've had is that this ownership needed to spend the money and get us a head coach with vision like Bill Walsh had and then see it thru.

Instead we've played musical chairs for 7 years and still don't know who we are?

Lets make it easier to comprehend. If Smith was drafted by GB, sat behind Favre, and took over as their starter.......do you think the Packers would be just as good with him right now than with Rodgers ? If you think yes, you do not know football.

Rodgers has better QB instinct. He can make plays out of nothing. He gets the team involved. And he doesnt fret under pressure (most sacked QB last season). Would Rodgers have led our team to the SB in his rookie season ? Nope. But theres' no doubt the team would be MUCH farther along with him as our QB.

So you think Smith would have been the same player under the circumstances that Rodgers had? Maybe so.

And yes, I know Rodgers is better now but what you fail to comprehend is the fact that he sat back and watched/learned from a hall of fame qp for 3 years. Has had the same system for 7 years, and has one of the best wr groups in the leauge.

What about that don't you comprehend. If you cannot see the difference between the two situations that these two guy have been put thru then I guess there is not much else to say.

The last 7 years are not just about Smith is what I'm trying to get at and if we think that he was/is are only problem then we are going nowhere.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by flow:
What does this have to do with two cities?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Nope, because this organization lacked the skills to give any QB we drafted the proper training and time to develop. Instead, he would've never had continuity, the proper skilled players and offensive line around him. This team was in shambles and should've not only got a QB #1 overall, but brought in a veteran to help bring him along.

~Dann~

Please not another Alex Smith excuse. Troy Aikman, John Elway, and Peyton Manning were throw into the fire as rookies, all had losing records as starters. Aikman was 0-11, those guys turned out all right.
Alex Smith = SUCKAGE
Aaron Rodgers = GAMER
Nope, because this organization lacked the skills to give any QB we drafted the proper training and time to develop. Instead, he would've never had continuity, the proper skilled players and offensive line around him. This team was in shambles and should've not only got a QB #1 overall, but brought in a veteran to help bring him along.

~Dann~

This

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:

~Dann~

This

Alexcuse #1289
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

If you look at the pre draft quotes Rodgers was all about how the fans and team should expect to be in a Super Bowl as soon as they can, and he's okay with those expectations because thats what Joe and Steve had.

And Smith was all about he will give the team whatever the coaches what him to give, and its up to the coaches about when he will be ready to start.

And there was some reports that Nolan liked the way Smith was more quiet and had more of a team perspective, that was more of a "Nolan guy", where Nolan was unsure if Rodgers sharp comments would reflect bad on the team (or coaching staff maybe??)

And after they brought them in for individual workouts Rodgers was questioning why they were putting him through certain drills, and Smith just did whatever they wanted. So thats how Nolan picked Smith

and the rest is HisSTORY

That's disgusting. Appreciate the backstory, Nomad, after Erickson I held the team in such contempt that I limited my exposure to the team to Sundays only and didn't pay any attention to the Smith decision-making process. Great to know that Smith aced the meekness and yes sir portions of the evaluation.

he surely did, but makes we wonder why members of the current organization are all about him.

I mean probably a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the teams in the NFL this year have benched their starting QB for at least a series or quarter. Whats wrong with sending a message, you can't keep f**king up.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

What sane person thinks Rodgers career would not have been negatively impacted compared to what it became with the Packers? If you understand that point, you should understand why this is not something worth trying to compare as equal terms.

Sanity has a voice.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

Be realistic now...

Everybody knows that Mike Nolan is an Equal opportunity QB killer...

I mean probably a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the teams in the NFL this year have benched their starting QB for at least a series or quarter. Whats wrong with sending a message, you can't keep f**king up.

I hear you. Lesson learned: burning your boats is a great source of motivation for conquistadors, not quarterbacks. If you have a useful backup, don't trade him to make a point, leave the boat burning to Cortez.
Share 49ersWebzone