There are 246 users in the forums

Matt Barrows opinion "If the 49ers don't make the playoffs I think he's gone.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I'm tired of Sing. Why can't we just replace him now?........ What does he do that someone like Manusky or Solari can't do? Just fire him, make manusky the interim HC then hire someone after the season

maybe when we win our first game against the raiders and then fire him in the bye week
...... Do we really have to wait that long ???????
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I'm worried that we will just miss out on the playoffs and they will keep him for another year.
I think a bigger question that needs to be answered is "Who would want to be head coach of the 49ers?". Lots of posters are saying we need a proven, championship winning offensive minded coach. And I would agree. But if that kind of individual was available, why would they take this job? Short of paying them a ton on money, what is the incentive? That pedigree was probably earned on a more stable franchise. Why would they risk their legacy with this ownership? Not trying to be a downer, just looking for some real answers.

FWIW - I am not on the Gruden bandwagon yet. I see a coach that won with a team that was put together by someone else, and then never really got back to that level before burning. But I could be swayed to jump aboard.
[ Edited by 49erfaninPA on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:37 AM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Honestly, I think that all of our coaches are gone if we miss the playoffs, including Manusky. He's probably our best coach, but also probably a bit overrated. As bad as our offense has been, it wasn't the offense (or Alex Smith) that allowed Brett Favre to march down the field on us last year in Minnesota. It wasn't the offense that allowed the Saints to march down the field on us at home on MNF for the entire world to see. It wasn't the offense that allowed the Falcons to march down the field and kick a FG with seconds remaining to keep us winless. The fact is, our defense is pathetic when the game is on the line, but nobody focuses on it because of how bad the offense has been playing. We play good defense all game, but when the 2-minute warning hits, Manusky starts playing soft and we allow huge chunks of yards. I don't know if this all on Manusky because I'm seeing some bad technique on the 49ers as well (such as not even looking back for the ball). Bottom line is that this entire coaching staff is suspect...I wouldn't be surprised if we had a new HC, OC, and DC next season.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I'm beginning to wonder now if Sing wants to get fired at this point, cause:

1. If Sing gets fired he gets to keep the 5 million dollars left on his contract going into 2011-2012 (s**tty coaches rely upon firings so they can keep the money and use it to figure out what to do with their families during unemployment/moves to the next job).

2. If Sing steps down he'll look like a quitter, and he'll actually have to admit fault.

Singletary knows his dream is dying (and that he's in over his head), so he's gonna do what's best for his family by doing whatever it takes to get fired (which means starting Alex Smith for the rest of the season).

I think this is accurate hypothesis Snakeman
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's suicidal to hitch your wagon to Smith, but I guess Sing is going down with the ship.
Share 49ersWebzone