LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Above .500 record still?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I think it starts this week. Especially w/ the Vick injury. Should be a good game, but 49ers come out in a close victory. I think EVERY ONE of our next 7 games are very winnable games.

vs. Eagles (WIN, maybe loss?)
vs. Raiders (WIN)
@ Panthers (WIN)
vs. Broncos (WIN, maybe loss?)
BYE
vs. Rams (WIN)
vs. Buccaneers (WIN)
@ Cardinals (WIN, maybe loss?)

Hell..other then @ Packers and @ Chargers...I think the rest of our schedule is winnable...other then those two games we have

vs. Seahawks (WIN)
@ Rams (WIN, maybe loss?)
vs. Cardinals (WIN)

I think 8-8 could win this awful division.

We just had a VERY hard start to this season.

Opinions? Thoughts?
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM ]
This was definitely a tough loss. I really think we can beat the Eagles next week @ home. If Vick plays i think we got the personnel to contain him the only concern I have are there speedy receivers. After them we got the Raiders and well we better be able to beat them. With a 2 game winning streak I think we can handle the Panthers and there rookie QB. The Broncos game I'd say is a toss up, hopefully if we do get that 3 game winning streak it can carry into England and we put on a show. So hopefully we can go into the bye week 3-5 or 4-4. The second half of the schedule looks much softer so yea maybe we can still win the division . Just tryin to stay optimistic.
  • ZRF80
If we can muster up enough offense (avg. 24-27 points per game) from here on out, I think we could still win the division.

We all know by now that Alex isnt capable of giving us that kind of output consistently. Therefore, 2 questions remain:

1) when do we give up on him for good and bench him ?

2) can Carr (who is not much better, but is more of a risktaker) revive an anemic offense and give our defense a chance to close out games ?

I would hope Carr gets his shot against Philly.....
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
If we can muster up enough offense (avg. 24-27 points per game) from here on out, I think we could still win the division.

We all know by now that Alex isnt capable of giving us that kind of output consistently. Therefore, 2 questions remain:

2) can Carr (who is not much better, but is more of a risktaker) revive an anemic offense and give our defense a chance to close out games ?

I think if Smith has a 3 INT game..or gets down 0TD 2 INT..Carr will come in.

But seriously, on the season..I'm not giving up. Any other division, if we we're 0-4..sure we're f**ked. But this division is a mess and I think we have as good of a shot as anyone. We're the most talented team in the division by far..just off to a slow start.
Yes, 8-8 should be enough to win the division. But will A. Smith improve his performance to even give us a chance? He showed some hope during the final drive vs. Saints for the TD and 2pt conversion. But sucked in the other three games. We had a 14-0 lead and lost...UGH! If we finish 8-8 or worse, I hope both Smith and Singletary are gone after this season.
no way

right now this is a 5-11 team
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by jrg:

I think if Smith has a 3 INT game..or gets down 0TD 2 INT..Carr will come in.

But seriously, on the season..I'm not giving up. Any other division, if we we're 0-4..sure we're f**ked. But this division is a mess and I think we have as good of a shot as anyone. We're the most talented team in the division by far..just off to a slow start.

I agree. I dont think the season is lost yet, but then again.....Ive pretty much written off every game that Smith has started a wash (so far Ive been right). I think that as long as Smith starts, we will continue to lose. If Smith is replaced, we may have a chance to win it.
I figured I'd post a comment so I can say: No comment.
All of our games are winnable dude. The 49ers simply find a way to lose every one of their games. Until the 49ers start showing that they can win close games, I won't hold my breath. If it's not Dre Bly fumbling away a pick, then it's Nate Clements. If it's not Mike Martz running out of time against Arizona (1st and goal on the 2 yard line), then it's a last second fumble in our own red zone against Seattle. The list goes on and on.
[ Edited by skylynx05 on Oct 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran

If you remove the punt block TD the offense is scoring 11.2 points a game. It would have to improve a lot to get 24-27 point average.

Newsflash: The Chargers and Packers aren't that great either. The Packers are one dimensional on offense and the Chargers appear to be a middle of the pack team. Their trouncing of the Cardinals yesterday said more about how bad the Cardinals are than anything else.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Newsflash: The Chargers and Packers aren't that great either. The Packers are one dimensional on offense and the Chargers appear to be a middle of the pack team. Their trouncing of the Cardinals yesterday said more about how bad the Cardinals are than anything else.

Fair enough. Those are just the two hardest remaining games IMO.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

The Packers quite possibly, have THE best one-dimensional offense in the league.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Share 49ersWebzone