LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 318 users in the forums

Niners Offense Still Not Changed Enough

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Honestly, after Smith threw the first INT, did you guys really have much confidence in our passing game and throwing out 3 or 4 wide?

Everyone, including MadDog want to ignore the real problem with our passing game: an inaccurate QB who can't throw to NFL open WR's.

After that 2nd INT, I personally did not want the 49ers to throw another pass to a WR.

^This.

We moved the ball fine. We had good ball control drives and gained positive yards on 1st and 2nd downs. 3rd downs were manageable.

It's hilarious to me that some people still won't admit that the reason we lost this game (and MANY, MANY others) is the ineptitude of our QB Alex Smith.

+++++++
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Things will not change until they get a better QB. That position holds them back more than anything else right now.

How bout a bull-headed coach that doesn't know s**t about schemes and game planning?

or picking a QB.. otherwise we wouldn't have gone into the season with the massive disaster that is Alex Smith.

Also.. maybe this offense would take more shots down field if we had a QB who could accurately hit passes down field. Josh Morgan got behind his man for what would've been a sure TD if he was hit in stride and what happened? Alex couldn't even put it in the realm to where Morgan could catch it. Michael Crabtree drew a flag on a deep route and what happened? They picked it up because Alex threw it so inaccurately that it was ruled uncatchable.
  • dj43
Things will not change until they get a better QB. That position holds them back more than anything else right now.
I wish it were that simple. Yes, Smith is a factor but he is only one in a list that is still too long.

Lack of game-breaking WR.

Lack of comprehensive offensive scheme.

Inexperience in the OL.

Lack of ability of receivers to read defenses.

Playbook that is far too limited.

ETC.
The perfect example of the QB and skill positions beating a team aggressive to the QB was the Niners win in philly in 1989/90---when they ran a D like the Niners usually see now---just get to the QB and they pummeled Montana--then the Niners made them pay with 28 4th qtr points.

I have never seen Alex Smith do such a thing---I don't think I will ever see him do that.
Despite not scoring more than 1 TD we did get the offense on third and manegable and converted on half of those i think
Originally posted by dj43:
I wish it were that simple. Yes, Smith is a factor but he is only one in a list that is still too long.

Lack of game-breaking WR.

Lack of comprehensive offensive scheme.

Inexperience in the OL.

Lack of ability of receivers to read defenses.

Playbook that is far too limited.

ETC.

dj, you are reaching here. Crabtree has shown he can "make a play" after the catch. He also is known to be explosive out of his breaks and creating separation. Morgan can go over the top and so can Vernon. Delanie has proven to be a mismatch with just about anyone.

The difference is that these guys are all expected to be a yard open to get the ball and they still don't get it because the throw has already been predetermined by Smith.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
Despite not scoring more than 1 TD we did get the offense on third and manegable and converted on half of those i think

Smith killed 3 of our scoring drives. Scoring meaning at least 3 points. We should have had 23 points which is very respectable and what you want out of your offense.

Some here are still putting on blinders. The players on offense played just fine including the calls from the OC. Alex Smith was the sole reason for us not getting more points on the board.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Niners' fans celebrated the dumping of Jimmy Raye last week, but the question I ask is: Was there that much of a difference in Mike Johnson?

Couple notes from yesterday:

1. The Niners offense scored on the opening drive, but then was held scoreless the rest of the game. It seemed like the Falcons adjusted to the Niners' scheme, and the team was not creative enough to take advantage of the Falcons defense.

2. Somebody tell me if I am wrong, but I rarely saw 3 and 4 WR sets. We are still putting players like Byham in the game when we could add Zeigler as a 3rd WR.

3. Any reverses yesterday, misdirections? Just not seeing much movement.

4. Vernon Davis is an All-Pro TE, and yet we rarely throw to him.

5. It appears the only route that Smith and Crabtree connect on is a 15 yard hook pattern.

6. Could somebody force Gore off the field at some point, and put in another RB to spell him? We have Westbrook and we still don't put him in.

7. Smith thrives in a no-huddle, spread offense. Why not get the offense jumpstarted by doing this in at least one series?

I've got a feeling the Eagles are going to score points this week, so we better get on the scoreboard early and often. I hope this week allows some more creative planning and execution. The system is broken, so why stick with the same game plan.

There is nothing wrong with the offense except Alex Smith. Way too many check downs. Good QBs find open WR or throw them open. The only time Smith throws the ball downfield is when our guy has 2 steps on the CB. Why do you think Gore has like a million receptions already? Smith needs to go by next year.

P.S Smith had two BS interceptions that not only killed the drive, but took points off the board.

What makes you believe WR's were open downfield? Only one replay showed an open Josh Morgan, not on every play.
  • gage
  • Veteran
I'm surprised MD, you haven't realize that our QB has limitations.

Yeah, I've been pretty supportive of Smith, or at least hoped he would improve. But the problem against Atlanta wasn't the gameplan or playcalling as we had some drives that were effective for a few first downs. The problem was boneheaded interceptions that killed those drives.
It's not changed much. But it's tough to change it midseason. The real change will come in the offseason when we get a real HC and a real OC and probably a new QB. You are right we don't use our talent. We are the only team dumb enough to have VD and Crabtree and rarely throw to them. What a gift we give to other teams. We don't utilize our talent. And we don't make it tough on them.

Originally posted by gage:
I'm surprised MD, you haven't realize that our QB has limitations.

Yeah, I've been pretty supportive of Smith, or at least hoped he would improve. But the problem against Atlanta wasn't the gameplan or playcalling as we had some drives that were effective for a few first downs. The problem was boneheaded interceptions that killed those drives.

Smith was a direct result of 9 possible points being on the board. All of his mistakes were within FG range.
dj43 strikes me as an intelligent, thoughtfull guy with good analysis. He has won me over that much of our problems with offense is still connected to subpar play from our receivers. They do not help Alex out like the GB receivers and play-calling help out Rodgers. I am not saying that Alex is on a level with the best QBs in the league, but his performance would be much better if he had more great weapons. Davis is good, but until we have similar threats with our receivers, he will be doubled and taken out of the game.
say what you will but until the Oline can block were gonna be stuck in a hole...
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
Originally posted by rawdel:

How bout a bull-headed coach that doesn't know s**t about schemes and game planning?

or picking a QB.. otherwise we wouldn't have gone into the season with the massive disaster that is Alex Smith.

Also.. maybe this offense would take more shots down field if we had a QB who could accurately hit passes down field. Josh Morgan got behind his man for what would've been a sure TD if he was hit in stride and what happened? Alex couldn't even put it in the realm to where Morgan could catch it. Michael Crabtree drew a flag on a deep route and what happened? They picked it up because Alex threw it so inaccurately that it was ruled uncatchable.

Agree. Smith and Singletard must go.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Niners' fans celebrated the dumping of Jimmy Raye last week, but the question I ask is: Was there that much of a difference in Mike Johnson?

Couple notes from yesterday:

1. The Niners offense scored on the opening drive, but then was held scoreless the rest of the game. It seemed like the Falcons adjusted to the Niners' scheme, and the team was not creative enough to take advantage of the Falcons defense.

2. Somebody tell me if I am wrong, but I rarely saw 3 and 4 WR sets. We are still putting players like Byham in the game when we could add Zeigler as a 3rd WR.

3. Any reverses yesterday, misdirections? Just not seeing much movement.

4. Vernon Davis is an All-Pro TE, and yet we rarely throw to him.

5. It appears the only route that Smith and Crabtree connect on is a 15 yard hook pattern.

6. Could somebody force Gore off the field at some point, and put in another RB to spell him? We have Westbrook and we still don't put him in.

7. Smith thrives in a no-huddle, spread offense. Why not get the offense jumpstarted by doing this in at least one series?

I've got a feeling the Eagles are going to score points this week, so we better get on the scoreboard early and often. I hope this week allows some more creative planning and execution. The system is broken, so why stick with the same game plan.

There is nothing wrong with the offense except Alex Smith. Way too many check downs. Good QBs find open WR or throw them open. The only time Smith throws the ball downfield is when our guy has 2 steps on the CB. Why do you think Gore has like a million receptions already? Smith needs to go by next year.

P.S Smith had two BS interceptions that not only killed the drive, but took points off the board.

What makes you believe WR's were open downfield? Only one replay showed an open Josh Morgan, not on every play.

Because either we have the crappiest recievers of all time or a p***y QB that's affraid to pull the trigger. I choose the latter. Even when Smith has protection he doesn't hold on to the ball long enough. There where plenty of times in this last game that he was looking for Gore and the dump off way before he needed to. In addition, one of his interceptions was caused by him stairing down his reciever which has been something that has pledged him since entering the league. Bottom line, he is no better than a back up qb.
Share 49ersWebzone