LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Niners Offense Still Not Changed Enough

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Honestly, after Smith threw the first INT, did you guys really have much confidence in our passing game and throwing out 3 or 4 wide?

Everyone, including MadDog want to ignore the real problem with our passing game: an inaccurate QB who can't throw to NFL open WR's.

After that 2nd INT, I personally did not want the 49ers to throw another pass to a WR.
if f**king smith can execute better we wont be complaining about the offense, how many times did we get past the 50 only to f**k it up
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Niners' fans celebrated the dumping of Jimmy Raye last week, but the question I ask is: Was there that much of a difference in Mike Johnson?

Couple notes from yesterday:

1. The Niners offense scored on the opening drive, but then was held scoreless the rest of the game. It seemed like the Falcons adjusted to the Niners' scheme, and the team was not creative enough to take advantage of the Falcons defense.

2. Somebody tell me if I am wrong, but I rarely saw 3 and 4 WR sets. We are still putting players like Byham in the game when we could add Zeigler as a 3rd WR.

3. Any reverses yesterday, misdirections? Just not seeing much movement.

4. Vernon Davis is an All-Pro TE, and yet we rarely throw to him.

5. It appears the only route that Smith and Crabtree connect on is a 15 yard hook pattern.

6. Could somebody force Gore off the field at some point, and put in another RB to spell him? We have Westbrook and we still don't put him in.

7. Smith thrives in a no-huddle, spread offense. Why not get the offense jumpstarted by doing this in at least one series?

I've got a feeling the Eagles are going to score points this week, so we better get on the scoreboard early and often. I hope this week allows some more creative planning and execution. The system is broken, so why stick with the same game plan.

I thought the offense was different---but not drastically different.

1. It did look like the early play calls wanted to get Crabtree, Davis, Gore involved.

2. Delanie walker also--then he got hurt.

3.. we ran Gore outside a couple plays--and they did get good yardage.

4. they spread the formations and ran Gore on 3rd down and longs and converted.

The pass rush --not sacks--just the pressure always comes at the Niners more than other teams----and I think that is because the Niners don't make the opponent pay a price--- long plays or TD's that take away that aggressiveness---like Seattle made the Niners pay a price in week 1.

Until the Niners can punish aggressive D play on the QB I don't think the offense can be fully creative. The QB and the skill positions have to practice making teams pay.

Our O Line has more high draft picks than any team in football---there is only so much they can do with an agressive D if the skill players cannot make the defense pay a price.
The offense has to find a way to attack the whole field. defenses are not afraid of 10-15 yard curls & out routes all game when the ball keeps getting dumped to the RB. The ball has to be forced down the field & give playmakers a chance or we will keep finding ways to lose each week. If we are gonna go with 3-5 wide looks themn pit some recievers on the field to change the look. Defenses see the same personnel just moved out to look like a 3-5 wide, but easy to defend. No defense is scared of our offense at all!
I saw a difference, but not enough I suppose to keep Atlanta on their heels. There were many times where our schematics didn't work and not a soul was open downfield for Smith to throw to -- and when we were blitzed and defenders had free runs at our QB, it made it even more difficult to get anything going.

Yes, we should've spread it out more to prevent the blitz from hurting us. There is a lot more we can do to help ourselves on offense, but I'll give them another game to do so.

Overall, I agree to an extent. We can do better, but I don't think we were terrible last game.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Honestly, after Smith threw the first INT, did you guys really have much confidence in our passing game and throwing out 3 or 4 wide?

Everyone, including MadDog want to ignore the real problem with our passing game: an inaccurate QB who can't throw to NFL open WR's.

After that 2nd INT, I personally did not want the 49ers to throw another pass to a WR.

^This.

We moved the ball fine. We had good ball control drives and gained positive yards on 1st and 2nd downs. 3rd downs were manageable.

It's hilarious to me that some people still won't admit that the reason we lost this game (and MANY, MANY others) is the ineptitude of our QB Alex Smith.
i agree and is it just me or was our offense better last year than it is this year with deeper balls thrown down the field. we weren't showing any urgency against SEA and KC when last year we were able to rally back into games, most notably against the texans and the packers. i honestly don't think we have as much together on offense as we did last year.
I'm surprised MD, you haven't realize that our QB has limitations.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I saw a difference, but not enough I suppose to keep Atlanta on their heels. There were many times where our schematics didn't work and not a soul was open downfield for Smith to throw to -- and when we were blitzed and defenders had free runs at our QB, it made it even more difficult to get anything going.

Yes, we should've spread it out more to prevent the blitz from hurting us. There is a lot more we can do to help ourselves on offense, but I'll give them another game to do so.

Overall, I agree to an extent. We can do better, but I don't think we were terrible last game.
I agree with your assessment, particularly in the area of beating the blitz. In order to do that, you must have receivers that read the defense well, and quickly. That has never been Davis' strongpoint and Crabtree is still learning, and making wrong reads. Gore reads well but is "spied" on just about every play. Still, if you have 3 or 4 wides, you should have options to beat the blitz.

Also, a no-huddle is useful against the blitz, but that will take more time to install it seems.
Things will not change until they get a better QB. That position holds them back more than anything else right now.

Originally posted by Joecool:

I am not downplaying Smith's poor game. In fact, I think we've seen the end of the Alex Smith era, whether it be after this game, after the bye, or at the end of the season.

My point is that the playbook looked too similar, too "Singletary-esque". Throwing more quick hitches to Walker and Crabtree is not varied enough to beat a team. They will adjust.

As to some who state that they only had three days to change their style, and this did not allow much time, I agree. However, are we to think that the Niners do not have one reverse, one trick play, in the playbook? That the Niners do not have a three or four WR set in the playbook, or that the WR's couldn't figure out how to run the passing tree if we subbed out a second tight end and added a third WR?

This would be a cop-out. The team needed to make a statement of moving in a different direction offensively, and all we saw were a few different wrinkles, not an overhaul of an ideology. Adding three WR sets is an overhaul, running a few no-huddle sets is an overhaul, running reverse and misdirection plays is an overhaul, throwing down the field (beyond running 9 routes) is an overhaul.

We just didn't see it, and with the same personnel on the field (we didn't have a new RT or RB or QB or set of WR's), adjustments are possible in a short window of time.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Things will not change until they get a better QB. That position holds them back more than anything else right now.

How bout a bull-headed coach that doesn't know s**t about schemes and game planning?
The basic conservative philosophy comes down for Dingleberry. Ding, is okay winning 3-0 and probably thinks that might be too much scoring! Having a 14 point lead to a conservative coach is plenty, no need to take chances!

Up by 14 a more aggressive coach would have had the front 7 pin their ears back and blitz! A more aggressive coach would have thrown deep and tried to run it up while you have the momentum!

All his tough talk and Dingleberry is really a cream puff when it comes to game planning! and in game adjustments.
I liked the new approach and I think it will only get better, we all have to understand that this is not a new offense, the plays are the same they all said that before the game, still I think that for this week we may see some new adjustments since the game is a home (we were not going to change a whole lot since that game was on the road vs one of the best NFC team)...

I am exited for this offense this side of the schedule favor us and this next game is were it all start...

let go niners!!!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Niners' fans celebrated the dumping of Jimmy Raye last week, but the question I ask is: Was there that much of a difference in Mike Johnson?

Couple notes from yesterday:

1. The Niners offense scored on the opening drive, but then was held scoreless the rest of the game. It seemed like the Falcons adjusted to the Niners' scheme, and the team was not creative enough to take advantage of the Falcons defense.

2. Somebody tell me if I am wrong, but I rarely saw 3 and 4 WR sets. We are still putting players like Byham in the game when we could add Zeigler as a 3rd WR.

3. Any reverses yesterday, misdirections? Just not seeing much movement.

4. Vernon Davis is an All-Pro TE, and yet we rarely throw to him.

5. It appears the only route that Smith and Crabtree connect on is a 15 yard hook pattern.

6. Could somebody force Gore off the field at some point, and put in another RB to spell him? We have Westbrook and we still don't put him in.

7. Smith thrives in a no-huddle, spread offense. Why not get the offense jumpstarted by doing this in at least one series?

I've got a feeling the Eagles are going to score points this week, so we better get on the scoreboard early and often. I hope this week allows some more creative planning and execution. The system is broken, so why stick with the same game plan.

There is nothing wrong with the offense except Alex Smith. Way too many check downs. Good QBs find open WR or throw them open. The only time Smith throws the ball downfield is when our guy has 2 steps on the CB. Why do you think Gore has like a million receptions already? Smith needs to go by next year.

P.S Smith had two BS interceptions that not only killed the drive, but took points off the board.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone