LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Singletary must do what is right and resign.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers are 0-4 not because of their lack of talent, but because of their inability to play intelligent, sound football. Yesterday we watched our team seal the victory with a late interception with less than two minutes to play; we then watched Nate Clements, the man who made the interception run down the field while holding the ball out wide. Many of us were probably screaming, "Get down! get down!" or "Tuck it in! Tuck it in!" But what none of us saw were his teammates running to his side or the coaches screaming for him to do this simple, routine, veteran maneuver. As soon as the fumble occurred, I'm sure many of us envisioned what was going to come next; a long scoring drive by Atlanta to break our hearts. As 49er fans, it has become an all too common occurrence under Singletary's leadership and one that seems too easy to predict.

Quickly, think about how many heartbreaking losses we've witnessed under Singletary's leadership. And no, these aren't just coincidences. These losses are the product of being unprepared and having incompetent coaching.

Moving along, I don't think most fans would argue when I say this team could easily be 3-1 right now if we had seen better play-calling, communication, and execution. And as most of us know from our life experience, those qualities start at the top. Sadly, the only two qualities that Singletary seems to demonstrate on a routine basis are unintelligence and being stubborn mannered.

With our back rammed into a corner due to being 0-3, and nearly every fan, pundit and critic saying the 49ers need to undo the chains and open things up, our offense, for the most part, still seemed heavily under the thumb of Singletary's prehistoric vision of an offense.

Let me take you back to our second and twenty-two, from inside our own ten, run up the middle. The play netted two yards on a generous spot, setting up third and twenty. Two plays later we were punting, surprise, surprise. But what was so frustrating was that we had seen we could move the ball through the air with relative ease against Atlanta. They had no answer for Vernon Davis and Crabtree seemed to be finding his stride. But instead of trying to make a play and put us in position to convert a first down, Singletary opted for playing it safe. You'd think after witnessing loss after loss by going to this strategy, there'd be an urge to try something different. But no, being the stubborn man that he is, he went with what we nearly always do in that situation and it came back to bite us.

When we weren't running on second and twenty or fifteen or what have you, we were still busy running short and intermediate routes in the passing game. For anyone who doesn't yet realize why all of Smith's tipped passes are getting intercepted, it is because opposing defenses are anticipating our conservative, predictable play-calling and making us pay for it with every tiny mistake in execution. And yes, you're right if you've noticed this doesn't happen to most other NFL football teams. It is happening to us because Singletary is stubborn and predictable. This guy has a vision, he has faith, and he is sticking to his ways. He thinks that with patience and perseverance it will all come to fruition.

If Singletary doesn't resign, he needs to be fired after our next loss. I don't care if we go on a seven game winning streak before losing our next game. This guy brings literally nothing to the table, and is a major handicap for us week in and week out. I was a supporter for a very long time, despite seeing the shortcomings, but this experiment needs to come to an end if we want to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.

We're only two games back, despite being in an 0-4 hole. The schedule is about to get a lot easier and the competition in the division at this point looks like it is the St. Louis Rams and probably not anyone else.
Well he is Samurai Mike. Real Samurai's when they know they've lost, fall on the sword. Let's hope...
Would you still call for his head if this team had not been projected to win the division or make the playoffs? Even with the same close end-game results that could easily be a 3-1 record instead of 0-4?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Would you still call for his head if this team had not been projected to win the division or make the playoffs? Even with the same close end-game results that could easily be a 3-1 record instead of 0-4?

Did you read my post? If you had, I think you would know the answer.
I think if he resigns it should be for continuing to play Smith. I thought the OC calling was a LOT better yesterday and I also thought the defensive play was more than good enough to win. If only we had a QB that didn't choke as often as he does. Face it, our team is not good enough to absorb 2 or more turn overs per game. That's what we have to over come every stinking week with Smith behind center.

LB
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
The 49ers are 0-4 not because of their lack of talent, but because of their inability to play intelligent, sound football. Yesterday we watched our team seal the victory with a late interception with less than two minutes to play; we then watched Nate Clements, the man who made the interception run down the field while holding the ball out wide. Many of us were probably screaming, "Get down! get down!" or "Tuck it in! Tuck it in!" But what none of us saw were his teammates running to his side or the coaches screaming for him to do this simple, routine, veteran maneuver. As soon as the fumble occurred, I'm sure many of us envisioned what was going to come next; a long scoring drive by Atlanta to break our hearts. As 49er fans, it has become an all too common occurrence under Singletary's leadership and one that seems too easy to predict.

Quickly, think about how many heartbreaking losses we've witnessed under Singletary's leadership. And no, these aren't just coincidences. These losses are the product of being unprepared and having incompetent coaching.

Moving along, I don't think most fans would argue when I say this team could easily be 3-1 right now if we had seen better play-calling, communication, and execution. And as most of us know from our life experience, those qualities start at the top. Sadly, the only two qualities that Singletary seems to demonstrate on a routine basis are unintelligence and being stubborn mannered.

With our back rammed into a corner due to being 0-3, and nearly every fan, pundit and critic saying the 49ers need to undo the chains and open things up, our offense, for the most part, still seemed heavily under the thumb of Singletary's prehistoric vision of an offense.

Let me take you back to our second and twenty-two, from inside our own ten, run up the middle. The play netted two yards on a generous spot, setting up third and twenty. Two plays later we were punting, surprise, surprise. But what was so frustrating was that we had seen we could move the ball through the air with relative ease against Atlanta. They had no answer for Vernon Davis and Crabtree seemed to be finding his stride. But instead of trying to make a play and put us in position to convert a first down, Singletary opted for playing it safe. You'd think after witnessing loss after loss by going to this strategy, there'd be an urge to try something different. But no, being the stubborn man that he is, he went with what we nearly always do in that situation and it came back to bite us.

When we weren't running on second and twenty or fifteen or what have you, we were still busy running short and intermediate routes in the passing game. For anyone who doesn't yet realize why all of Smith's tipped passes are getting intercepted, it is because opposing defenses are anticipating our conservative, predictable play-calling and making us pay for it with every tiny mistake in execution. And yes, you're right if you've noticed this doesn't happen to most other NFL football teams. It is happening to us because Singletary is stubborn and predictable. This guy has a vision, he has faith, and he is sticking to his ways. He thinks that with patience and perseverance it will all come to fruition.

If Singletary doesn't resign, he needs to be fired after our next loss. I don't care if we go on a seven game winning streak before losing our next game. This guy brings literally nothing to the table, and is a major handicap for us week in and week out. I was a supporter for a very long time, despite seeing the shortcomings, but this experiment needs to come to an end if we want to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.

We're only two games back, despite being in an 0-4 hole. The schedule is about to get a lot easier and the competition in the division at this point looks like it is the St. Louis Rams and probably not anyone else.

Wow! So Alex's interceptions are Singletarys fault?? What about ALL of his INT previous to this season? Were they Singletarys fault too? MAYBE Alex isn't that good? MAYBE if we didn't have 2 picks a game we would be 3-1 instaed of 0-4. A coach is only as good as his players.
Share 49ersWebzone