LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Some thoughts on Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by aTx49er:
I actually watched crabtree when he was at Texas Tech. He is overrated. He doesn't run clean routes and he can't get separation. He's more a product of that offense than he is a great receiver. Wes Welker runs far better routes but doesn't have crabtree's physical tools. Crabtree does have a very quick first step when he makes the break in his route. That usually got him some separation in college but it isn't working so well in the nfl. At best he'll be a good 2nd receiver.

I know everything is smith's fault here but we really don't have that good of a receiving corps.....

Wow, OK...

There's a lot of misinformation being spread around here. Go watch some highlight videos of crabtree in college, or even in the pros. If you had in fact watched him like you claim, then I would bet you would have a different opinion of him. He is indeed physically talented. No one is saying he has elite speed, but he is VERY quick, has great acceleration off the line and out of his cuts, and has amazing hands. Those are the essential physical tools you need to be a great WR in this league, and he has them. Remember this is just his first full year with us and he has Alex Smith right now as his QB.
Overrated sure...but only by expectations. He does a lot of things really well, but he's not a burner and I think some people expected him to do to pro defenses what he did to college defenses and that's not fair.

No sugar coating it though; individually, he's off to a horrid start this year and you can attribute whatever blame you want to Alex, but Crabs has been guilty this year of running some pretty lazy routes and we all know what his m.o. seems to be regarding training camp thus far. He's inexperienced, he's a little lazy, he's too cocky for his own damn good and he's kind of an idiot...so was I when I was his age, but to say he's not talented enough to be a #1 when he's barely had an opportunity to grow up, is short sighted.

That said, I do worry about his attitude. I don't believe a word that comes out of Sing's mouth anymore, especially when it comes to issues keeping his house in order; that truly is the only illusion Sing has left and even that is unraveling just as quickly as the rest of it. It seems to be a crap shoot these days on whether these 1st round WR's are going to bury the attitude and learn how to play ball or just let the best years of their careers pass them by while bit**ing about it all the while. I don't know what it is about that position that keeps these guys so goddamn immature, but it's disruptive as hell. 9ers should employ a rule that they won't draft any more 1st round wide outs until they have their sh*t together with the line and QB. In the mean time, there's plenty of bad 40 times in the 3rd round and you get way less divatude.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM ]
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
I never thought he'd be a bona fide #1 WR. He's got quickness, but lacks speed. Yesterday was the first game he didn't have any drops (that I remember). So I still question his hands & work ethic.
People are clearly still deluded by why they saw out of this guy in a gimmick offense at Texas Tech. He doesn't have the high end speed to be a GREAT WR nor does he have incredible size you need (CJ, Andre Johnson, TO) to make up for not having elite speed. His hands were SUPPOSED to be great but have simply been average thus far and we have seen nothing to imply that his work ethic is anything more than ordinary.

He looks to me to be a good slot receiver at best.
I think Crabtree has the potential and run after the catch ability to be in the mold of Anquan Boldin who ran a 4.7 or 4.8 forty yard dash. People over hype deep speed as is its the end all be all. He has other attributes. Sure he's made some mistakes he hasnt even played a full seasons worth of NFL games yet but he is the best we have and will be a force for years to come if he can get a better QB. Trust me the kid was not drafted in the 1st round for no reason he can ball ... give him time ..
Crabtree is a beast shut the f**k up lol. If we had a half way decent qb he would tear most teams new a*****es. What the f**k do you expect when the only pass Alex can complete to him is a damn 10 yrd com back route. He can't hid anyone in stride and he can't even throw a ball deep down field without having it fly out of bounds. He is garbage and ALEX is the one holding back the offense. I'm sure when or if we ever get a decent qb Crabtree will be fine.
Ginn has all the speed in the world and look at what he's done. 40 speed is highly over rated. Crabtree is a legit NFL WR. Just needs to get his touches.
No speedy wr can flourish in sf if the qb can't throw deep lol.
The ONE PRESEASON game that ginn did play good in was when nate was in throwing him a bomb.
[ Edited by Ajanke on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM ]
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by niners9:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
you put crabtree on a team with a real qb, he'll tear s**t up.

u could say that about almost any WR

Exactly. Look at Austin Collie.

On the other side you could say the same for Fitz in Arizona. No Warner = No Pro Bowl....
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by niners9:

u could say that about almost any WR

Exactly. Look at Austin Collie.

On the other side you could say the same for Fitz in Arizona. No Warner = No Pro Bowl....

great point. QB makes ALL the difference.

Crabtree has good enough speed to play the position. That's all you need. It's the route running that makes the difference. I don't think Crabtree got that down just yet coming from a spread.
Lack of burning speed, dropsies, high expectations, early disappointment.

Who does that remind me of?

Pack it up, guys. He did well last
year. Pretty much the whole team is crud right now. Crabtree will be fine.
Originally posted by English:

The whole team isn't "crud." Just our QB is.

We played well enough to beat a 2-1 Falcons team on the road but our QB f**ked it up.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by English:

The whole team isn't "crud." Just our QB is.

We played well enough to beat a 2-1 Falcons team on the road but our QB f**ked it up.

We didn't play well enough to beat them, and it wasn't only the qb who struggled. And this season I put it against the whole team. Yes, a change of one player might take us to a better place, but which player can be proud of his 2010 performance to date?
Share 49ersWebzone