There are 236 users in the forums

I've broken on through....to the other side.No longer an A.Smith fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Alex Smith is Steve DeBerg.

Bill Walsh once said of Steve DeBerg, (who was the QB right before Montana for all you young 'uns) "He plays just good enough to get you beat". I was hoping for the team's sake that Smith would develop this year but I don't think it's going to happen. A big game QB would have taken control of this game and won it for the Niners. (I watched Montana do it all the time back in the 80's)

I still can't believe the Niners took this guy over Rodgers. They were rated about even at the time but a project QB over the local favorite? PR blunder if nothing else at the time.

Sam Bradford is already a better QB than Smith and he's only played 4 games so this talk about multiple OC's in 'blah blah years' is moot at this point.

The best thing that could happen to Smith is that he becomes Peyton Manning's backup for about 4-5 years and maybe he could develop in his 30's.

Some guys just don't get it until later in their careers......Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, DeBerg with KC, Testaverde, and last but not least, Steve Young.

Remember Young was pretty much washed up when he came to the Niners. Tampa Bay gave up on him and drafted Testaverde and he was a bust in Tampa Bay too.
Too much hindsight with Rodgers.

Coming out of college Rodgers was judged to be a "system" player who would not fit in well in the pro game. That is why he fell so far down the list to the Packers. He was a local favorite but no one felt so sure of him that they jumped up to take him until he fell all the way to GB.

Rodgers was also more NFL ready when they came out. Alex was considered more of a "system" player than Rodgers at that time.

Yeah and you can see it in their college highlights. Seriously Tedford is way closer to a pro style offense than Urban Meyer is. Meyer's system is a joke and most of Smith's highlights in college were gimmicky things. I just can't support him anymore. He just doesn't make things happen on the field. Make him GTFO please.

I remember when Rogers and Cal went to SoCal...and Rogers started off with like 20 something straight completions.....and guess when his first in-completion came?

when he chose to throw the ball away, cuz no one was open...he could have broke a record, but the guy is just on another level mentally that he is just doing everything he can to help his team win....I believe it was that game where Cal lost both of their starting WRs...and Cal almost beat the (at the time) unbeatable Trojans...but his WR dropped a TD in the endzone.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
wait you thought our defense played well? they converted on all of their 3rd and long, drove 60 yards in minute to hit FG, and you think our defense played well? lol ok

You keep a team under 17, especially one like Atlanta on the road and yes, your defense has played well.

You do realize our defense was on the field for 18 straight plays in those last two drives. Do you expect them to stop the opposition every drive?

Bill Walsh once said of Steve DeBerg, (who was the QB right before Montana for all you young 'uns) "He plays just good enough to get you beat". I was hoping for the team's sake that Smith would develop this year but I don't think it's going to happen. A big game QB would have taken control of this game and won it for the Niners. (I watched Montana do it all the time back in the 80's)

I still can't believe the Niners took this guy over Rodgers. They were rated about even at the time but a project QB over the local favorite? PR blunder if nothing else at the time.

Sam Bradford is already a better QB than Smith and he's only played 4 games so this talk about multiple OC's in 'blah blah years' is moot at this point.

The best thing that could happen to Smith is that he becomes Peyton Manning's backup for about 4-5 years and maybe he could develop in his 30's.

Some guys just don't get it until later in their careers......Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, DeBerg with KC, Testaverde, and last but not least, Steve Young.

Remember Young was pretty much washed up when he came to the Niners. Tampa Bay gave up on him and drafted Testaverde and he was a bust in Tampa Bay too.

I finally have gone to the other side also. Funny, because I used the same Bill Walsh quote about Deberg, when I was talking to my father today. And even funnier is that I also thought the best place for Alex would be to back up Payton Manning or Tom Brady. Watching Andrew Luck putting all his throws right where the wr's could catch the ball in stride was the icing on the cake. Need a new QB and new HC in 2011.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
This argument annoys me. Do you really think Aaron Rodgers would've succeeded if he were in Alex Smith's shoes? And can you really say Alex wouldn't have succeeded if it were the other way? Rodgers had about as perfect a situation as can be. Alex had about as bad. Not saying Alex will ever be anything as he's damaged goods now. But come on.

And your thinking annoys me.

While there's no way to say for sure that Rodgers would have been successful here and Smith unsuccessful there, their play gives an idea of what might have happened.

Rodgers makes plays out of nothing. Last year he was running for his life all the time, yet he still put up great numbers and became an elite QB. He makes things work. People can talk about him having more and better weapons to work with, but if our guys were getting accurate passes and our QB was making plays after his protection broke down like Rodgers does, our guys might look a hell of a lot better than they do.

On the other hand, Alex Smith can't even manage to throw a 10-yard pass without sailing it 5 feet over the intended target's head. He can't even throw a screen pass or checkdown to Gore's chest; those passes often lead Gore too much, sail high or end up thrown at his ankles, but Gore still makes the catch because he's just good. Alex Smith has no deep ball despite the nonsense being spewed before the season started. There's a reason Crabtree's catches often look fantastic when he does make a catch and that reason is because he's always having to stretch out and make great grabs with his hands. People supporting Alex will blame it on Crabtree for not playing in the preseason, but that's just them reaching for another excuse.

I can't say Aaron Rodgers would be what he is today if we had drafted him instead, but I'm positive he'd be better than Smith is right now. Maybe not as good as he is in Green Bay, but better than Alex Smith is in San Francisco. However, I'm very confident in saying Alex Smith would NOT have the success Rodgers is having if it were him that were being groomed behind Favre in Green Bay. He lacks all the things that make Rodgers good, and accuracy is the main issue. You can't coach accuracy in a QB. There are drills to help with it, but really they either have it or they don't, and Smith doesn't have it.
wait you thought our defense played well? they converted on all of their 3rd and long, drove 60 yards in minute to hit FG, and you think our defense played well? lol ok

You keep a team under 17, especially one like Atlanta on the road and yes, your defense has played well.

You do realize our defense was on the field for 18 straight plays in those last two drives. Do you expect them to stop the opposition every drive?

Nope, but you should expect them to stop the game winning drive though..

Especially if we're going to quantify this defense as "good".

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Oct 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by dj43:

Too much hindsight with Rodgers.

Coming out of college Rodgers was judged to be a "system" player who would not fit in well in the pro game. That is why he fell so far down the list to the Packers. He was a local favorite but no one felt so sure of him that they jumped up to take him until he fell all the way to GB.

Rodgers was also more NFL ready when they came out. Alex was considered more of a "system" player than Rodgers at that time.

Yeah and you can see it in their college highlights. Seriously Tedford is way closer to a pro style offense than Urban Meyer is. Meyer's system is a joke and most of Smith's highlights in college were gimmicky things. I just can't support him anymore. He just doesn't make things happen on the field. Make him GTFO please.

Are you serious? We Need Alex this season.

He's our best hope to getting Luck or Locker in April.

Yeah but we are only two games back in the division and I would rather plug in Troy Smith and make a run at it. There's no point in starting Alex now. We know what he can't do and I think more are beginning to realize the frustrations of this conservative offense these 6 years hasn't been due to the OC more than it has been to what the OC feels Alex can't do.

Nah, I'd rather let Alex continue to stink up the joint while he increases our shot at Luck or Locker. Not to mention Alex also will get Sing fired, so we're killing two birds with one stone.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

And they played good, not great. On the other hand, our offense played like s**t and, this time, it was obvious who it was that played like s**t.

The defense (one player) made on costly mistake.

-9fA

And they played good, not great. On the other hand, our offense played like s**t and, this time, it was obvious who it was that played like s**t.

Alex has to go. Plain and simple.

-9fA

Agreed.

I've long held the notion that this defense plays give up a whole lot of yardage and then clamps down in the red zone. That was evident today. Even before the 4th quarter interception, the Falcons were driving all over us. They converted a what, 3rd and 15 from their 10? And then gashed for us for huge pass plays on the final play? That was just unbelievable.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Oct 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM ]

-9fA

Agreed.

I've long held the notion that this defense plays give up a whole lot of yardage and then clamps down in the red zone. That was evident today. Even before the 1st interception, the Falcons were driving all over us. They converted a what, 3rd and 15 from their 10? And then gashed for us for huge pass plays on the final play? That was just unbelievable.

-9fA

We were getting good pressure on Ryan. Why we didn't blitz on that 3rd and 15, I don't know.

• jcs
  • Veteran
He's a different passer than he was before the shoulder injury. I think he lost a bit of the arm strength that had him land #1 here and in the process lost his confidence in his mid to deep passing game. He also had and still has horrible mechanics and if any Walsh fan can tell you, you can't be a successful passer with bad feet. His accuracy hasn't really improved either since his rookie year. A.Smith is never going to get better, we've seen the best he has.
I'm done talking about Smith now. It's done. He's done. We will be done if he's not benched.
Can we just accept that A Smith is done in SF. I've been done with him ever since Norv Turner left the team
It wasn't really any one players' fault. What if Clements would've just not caught the pick instead of bringing it back 40 yards or so? He had a chance to win the game, but certainly didn't lose it.

Alex Smith didn't either. He had a nice completion %, and made good decisions. There was the bad pass that Gore tipped up for a pick, and there was the ugly looking pick where he made a good coverage read, but didn't recognize the guy breaking off his coverage of VD who made the pick. Other than that, he only had a few incompletions.

No one played particularly bad today, and were we not 0-3 coming into this game, the loss wouldn't feel nearly as bad, but there were the same kind of mistakes that've continued to reappear for a team that seems to not know how to win.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Oct 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Damn shame our defense , and Gore were the only ones playing today.
We had to rely on our defense to win it, and it shouldn't have come down to Clements.

A.Smith.....I've supported him all of these years, thought that he was very smart, and agile, but he's not. He isn't accurate at all. We have to change our WHOLE offense to running because Smith sucks ass.

I'm done-zo

Sing coached a great defensive team, damn shame the qb position isn't secure at all.

I'd rather keep Sing than A.Smith.

KEEP SING, MODAFU*KA

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone