There are 269 users in the forums

I've broken on through....to the other side.No longer an A.Smith fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Alex Smith is Steve DeBerg.

Bill Walsh once said of Steve DeBerg, (who was the QB right before Montana for all you young 'uns) "He plays just good enough to get you beat". I was hoping for the team's sake that Smith would develop this year but I don't think it's going to happen. A big game QB would have taken control of this game and won it for the Niners. (I watched Montana do it all the time back in the 80's)

I still can't believe the Niners took this guy over Rodgers. They were rated about even at the time but a project QB over the local favorite? PR blunder if nothing else at the time.

Sam Bradford is already a better QB than Smith and he's only played 4 games so this talk about multiple OC's in 'blah blah years' is moot at this point.

The best thing that could happen to Smith is that he becomes Peyton Manning's backup for about 4-5 years and maybe he could develop in his 30's.

Some guys just don't get it until later in their careers......Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, DeBerg with KC, Testaverde, and last but not least, Steve Young.

Remember Young was pretty much washed up when he came to the Niners. Tampa Bay gave up on him and drafted Testaverde and he was a bust in Tampa Bay too.

The Rams might win the division.

I would have loved to get Bradford for our two firsts, but that was never going to happen.

Bradford displays such a subtle acumen and feel for the game, he's a pleasure to watch.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by excelsior:
You guys are blinded by emotion. Rationality goes out the window and is replaced by over-reaction. Look at the numbers. Alex is not one of the elites of the league, but he falls in the middle group. After that, nowwheresville.

I get tired of saying this, but good NFL QBs do not grow on trees. As some have said before, you better have someone better available before you replace him. He has played well many times before. Most of his passes today were right on target. He is in a funk, no doubt, with his mistakes. I think he is trying to do too much. Good coaching would help.

I think he is the best we have right now, and our best chance for the rest of the season. He can play better - he has before. Look at many of the other QBs around the league. All but a few have had a couple of crappy games so far this year. I tell you, this is not an easy position to play, and for most, they need lots of help.

I agree. We should continue starting Alex Smith. The more he starts, the more the losses will pile up increasing our chances to get Luck or Locker.

That was the same kind of thinking the year the 49ers drafted Smith.

The point is; you never know. Mike McCarthy was a BIG Alex Smith fan. He wanted Smith in SF. He was NOT an Aaron Rodgers fan, however, he wound up with Rodgers, had two full years to coach him up before he had to play, and the rest is history.

The year we drafted Smith, there were no prospects like Luck or Locker to choose from. Most didn't believe there was a franchise QB in the draft (though Aaron Rodgers has proven to be just that) and many said we should draft a different position with the first overall pick or try to trade it. There are rumors we did try to trade, but nobody wanted it. Locker and especially Luck are thought to be great pro prospects and possible franchise QBs. The same was never thought of Alex Smith, but we chose him anyway. Thankfully, Nolan and McCloughan, the two that made the mistake, are long gone and Baalke seems to draft well.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Bradford displays such a subtle acumen and feel for the game, he's a pleasure to watch.

I kinda felt the same way about Nate Davis, but what do I know.

Bill Walsh once said of Steve DeBerg, (who was the QB right before Montana for all you young 'uns) "He plays just good enough to get you beat". I was hoping for the team's sake that Smith would develop this year but I don't think it's going to happen. A big game QB would have taken control of this game and won it for the Niners. (I watched Montana do it all the time back in the 80's)

I still can't believe the Niners took this guy over Rodgers. They were rated about even at the time but a project QB over the local favorite? PR blunder if nothing else at the time.

Sam Bradford is already a better QB than Smith and he's only played 4 games so this talk about multiple OC's in 'blah blah years' is moot at this point.

The best thing that could happen to Smith is that he becomes Peyton Manning's backup for about 4-5 years and maybe he could develop in his 30's.

Some guys just don't get it until later in their careers......Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, DeBerg with KC, Testaverde, and last but not least, Steve Young.

Remember Young was pretty much washed up when he came to the Niners. Tampa Bay gave up on him and drafted Testaverde and he was a bust in Tampa Bay too.
Too much hindsight with Rodgers.

Coming out of college Rodgers was judged to be a "system" player who would not fit in well in the pro game. That is why he fell so far down the list to the Packers. He was a local favorite but no one felt so sure of him that they jumped up to take him until he fell all the way to GB.

Rodgers was also more NFL ready when they came out. Alex was considered more of a "system" player than Rodgers at that time.
Originally posted by eastbay9erfn:
I dont get how anyone with a brain can accept the garbage play from A.smith. I tried supporting him but anyone watching every game this season can see hes a below average QB. Did you not see the multiple overthrows.. the under throw to gore at his ankles that he some how caught.....???

Hes probobly the only QB drafted overall to be given a 6 year leash to do nothing but drag a franchise down. They said we didnt have playmakers for him.. so we drafted gore, vd , and crabs... a pro bowl tight end and running back. they say its a constancy issue with OC's... we tried keeping an OC for 2 years, giving him time training camp and preseason to learn a SIMPLE play book. They say its the line so we draft 2 first rounders for the O-line. WE BUILT THIS TEAM AROUND SMITH.. dont hold your breath waiting for results, everyone else has passed out.

If this was any other town he would be crucified.. imagine this playing out in Boston, Philadelphia or Ny...

I bought a cup of the "smith will be good some day" kool-aid. and i want my money back... the experiment is over.
The only offensive weapons this team has are Vernon Davis and Frank Gore. Crabtree doesn't scare anybody. He is a possession receiver and nothing more. Morgan is a backup forced to play because of the lack of talent at the WR spot. Other than Davis NONE of the 49er receivers would even make the roster in Green Bay much less start. They have four receivers better than any of the 49er receivers. Even Vernon Davis, as good as he is, is very little better than Jermichael Finley.

People need to adjust their expectations about the 49er passing game no matter who plays quarterback.

What should our expectations be from our passing game? to put up more int's then touchdowns..? to check down and over throw 75% of the time. what happen to expectations... you can have Alex smith maybe him and barry zitto can start a show.. biggest losers; the over payed million air edition.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

This argument annoys me. Do you really think Aaron Rodgers would've succeeded if he were in Alex Smith's shoes? And can you really say Alex wouldn't have succeeded if it were the other way? Rodgers had about as perfect a situation as can be. Alex had about as bad. Not saying Alex will ever be anything as he's damaged goods now. But come on.

Last season, Rogers was sacked more than any other player in the league, yet he still led one of the elite offenses in the league to the playoffs by throwing perfect, pinpoint passes to receivers who barely have a step on the defender.

Are these throws the result of being "mentored?"

Sam Bradford was arguably thrown into the worst possible situation a quarterback could have been thrown in, yet the Rams have been competitive in every game and Bradford is a pleasure to watch 4 games into his rookie season.

In year 6, watching Smith still resembles a trip to the dentist.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

This argument annoys me. Do you really think Aaron Rodgers would've succeeded if he were in Alex Smith's shoes? And can you really say Alex wouldn't have succeeded if it were the other way? Rodgers had about as perfect a situation as can be. Alex had about as bad. Not saying Alex will ever be anything as he's damaged goods now. But come on.

they are NOT CLONES OF EACH OTHER

Huh? I'm not saying they are. Rather one had a great situation to be drafted into while the other had a horrible one. Apples to oranges.

was Sam Bradford drafted into a great situation?

many here predicted he would get destroyed this year and ruined if they threw him in there, because of the Rams situation.

they lost their #1 unknown WR....and Steven Jackson hasn't been 100% this year.

you can say that we had horrible players back in 2005...but in 2004 we had worse players and Rattay was still able to make Lloyd, Tai Streets, Wilson, etc look good.

everything after 2:12 is 2004- highlights

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Kneel_B4_ZOD:
Sadly, alex is our best option at QB. All the talk of Davis, or Carr, or Troy is pointless, because even though he couldn't throw a bachelor party, Alex is all we have until FA or the Draft gives us an escape plan.

I can live with Alex another 12 games. The loser will get us a top 10 pick to pick our new franchise QB. I really have a feeling this miserable season will be a blessing in disguise with Sing and Alex finally gone.

Do you guys really want to only win 1 or 2 games to spend 100 million on a QB that you don't know will work out? Call me naive but we are only 2 games back and went through the toughest part of our schedule. If we stop beating ourselves we have a chance. Although, like you guys said that could lead to another year of ciaos.

Exactly. We need a new coach and a New QB. A losing season is the only way to accomplish this.

I'm looking at what Sam Bradford is doing with the Rams. They went from the worst team in the league to decent in one year. Their future is much brighter than ours until we get our QB.

Last season, Rogers was sacked more than any other player in the league, yet he still led one of the elite offenses in the league to the playoffs by throwing perfect, pinpoint passes to receivers who barely have a step on the defender.

Sam Bradford was arguably thrown into the worst possible situation a quarterback could have been thrown in, yet the Rams have been competitive in every game and Bradford is a pleasure to watch 4 games into his rookie season.

Bradford was considered a top-tier prospect. The only sliver of doubt with him was due to injury.

Rodgers had 3 years to sit behind a HoF QB and learn. He also had a team more or less built for him to step into. He also has been in the same system for his entire career.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Coming out of college Rodgers was judged to be a "system" player who would not fit in well in the pro game. That is why he fell so far down the list to the Packers. He was a local favorite but no one felt so sure of him that they jumped up to take him until he fell all the way to GB.

Rodgers was also more NFL ready when they came out. Alex was considered more of a "system" player than Rodgers at that time.

Yeah and you can see it in their college highlights. Seriously Tedford is way closer to a pro style offense than Urban Meyer is. Meyer's system is a joke and most of Smith's highlights in college were gimmicky things. I just can't support him anymore. He just doesn't make things happen on the field. Make him GTFO please.

Bradford was considered a top-tier prospect. The only sliver of doubt with him was due to injury.

Rodgers had 3 years to sit behind a HoF QB and learn. He also had a team more or less built for him to step into. He also has been in the same system for his entire career.

I'm sorry but Rodgers has top-tier prospect ability. He would have played well anywhere he went. You don't become a top level QB because of system alone. His numbers were comparable to Brady's last year. Rodgers would have performed better than Smith if he were on the Niners.

Take system out of it, do you see the kinds of throws Rodgers is making? He's not missing receivers left and right. He has a stronger arm and the ball gets into tight places very accurately in a quick throw.
anyone at this point who still believes in Alex as the future is straight up delusional. i said from the very beginning that this is alex's make or break year. after 4 games it's pretty obvious he's not coming back thank you god.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yeah and you can see it in their college highlights. Seriously Tedford is way closer to a pro style offense than Urban Meyer is. Meyer's system is a joke and most of Smith's highlights in college were gimmicky things. I just can't support him anymore. He just doesn't make things happen on the field. Make him GTFO please.

Are you serious? We Need Alex this season.

He's our best hope to getting Luck or Locker in April.
wait you thought our defense played well? they converted on all of their 3rd and long, drove 60 yards in minute to hit FG, and you think our defense played well? lol ok
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Are you serious? We Need Alex this season.

He's our best hope to getting Luck or Locker in April.

Yeah but we are only two games back in the division and I would rather plug in Troy Smith and make a run at it. There's no point in starting Alex now. We know what he can't do and I think more are beginning to realize the frustrations of this conservative offense these 6 years hasn't been due to the OC more than it has been to what the OC feels Alex can't do.
Share 49ersWebzone