LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

I've broken on through....to the other side.No longer an A.Smith fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eastbay9erfn:
I dont get how anyone with a brain can accept the garbage play from A.smith. I tried supporting him but anyone watching every game this season can see hes a below average QB. Did you not see the multiple overthrows.. the under throw to gore at his ankles that he some how caught.....???

Hes the probobly the only QB drafted overall to be given a 6 year leash to do nothing but drag a franchise down. They said we didnt have playmakers for him.. so we drafted gore, vd , and crabs... a pro bowl tight end and running back. they say its a constancy issue with OC's... we tried keeping an OC for 2 years, giving him time training camp and preseason to learn a SIMPLE play book. They say its the line so we draft 2 first rounders for the O-line. WE BUILT THIS TEAM AROUND SMITH.. dont hold your breath waiting for results, everyone else has passed out.

If this was any other town he would be crucified.. imagine this playing out in Boston, Philadelphia or Ny...

I bought a cup of the "smith will be good some day" kool-aid. and i want my money back... the experiment is over.

cosigned. On the bright side, with all the weapons and talent on the line we've amassed, the next QB should do pretty well. BRING ON THE DAVID CARR CARAVAN YO!
I dont get how anyone with a brain can accept the garbage play from A.smith. I tried supporting him but anyone watching every game this season can see hes a below average QB. Did you not see the multiple overthrows.. the under throw to gore at his ankles that he some how caught.....???

Hes probobly the only QB drafted overall to be given a 6 year leash to do nothing but drag a franchise down. They said we didnt have playmakers for him.. so we drafted gore, vd , and crabs... a pro bowl tight end and running back. they say its a constancy issue with OC's... we tried keeping an OC for 2 years, giving him time training camp and preseason to learn a SIMPLE play book. They say its the line so we draft 2 first rounders for the O-line. WE BUILT THIS TEAM AROUND SMITH.. dont hold your breath waiting for results, everyone else has passed out.

If this was any other town he would be crucified.. imagine this playing out in Boston, Philadelphia or Ny...

I bought a cup of the "smith will be good some day" kool-aid. and i want my money back... the experiment is over.
Originally posted by kstolai:

Hes probobly the only QB drafted overall to be given a 6 year leash to do nothing but drag a franchise down. They said we didnt have playmakers for him.. so we drafted gore, vd , and crabs... a pro bowl tight end and running back. they say its a constancy issue with OC's... we tried keeping an OC for 2 years, giving him time training camp and preseason to learn a SIMPLE play book. They say its the line so we draft 2 first rounders for the O-line. WE BUILT THIS TEAM AROUND SMITH.. dont hold your breath waiting for results, everyone else has passed out.

• dj43
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

alex did not lose this game. Nate needs to go down. If he does game over. He tried to be a hero. We don't need heros we need smart TEAM players.

at least he made an incredible play in intercepting the ball in the first place, Ryan was ready to drive down field anyway.....and Nate also had a great game leading up to that...and so did most of our defense...even Haralson played well....and for a Rookie Taylor Mays did fine for his first ever start

what did Alex do to help the team to win today?

Nate lost the game today. The 49ers were in the lead. Its on Nate.

well if you want to get like that....well we were still in the lead after that fumble..

THEN WHO DO YOU WANT TO BLAME NOW?????? NATE Again??

I don't know what your problem is 9erJim....but I don't remember you ever being this dense.

Nate a Vet, he goes down we win. what part of that you dont get? He screwed up. Late in the game in a tight game on the road a vet should know better. He cost the 49ers the game. He makes huge $$$. he screwed up.
I don't think money had anything to do with it but, yes, it was all on Clements. He's a vet who should have realized exactly how much time there was and gone down. If he goes down, the offense can run three plays and kick a field goal which would have left Atlanta with something like 25 seconds to drive the entire length of the field with no time outs remaining.

I agree he should have went out of bounds or down..but like I said, I understand what he was trying to do during those circumstances our team was in....was showing.

anyway..there was 1:30 left when he fumbled...if he quickly went down...maybe there would have been say 1:37....the Falcons had all 3 timeouts

so worse case scenario....they stop our patented run up the middle with Gore....

maybe about 1:10 left if not more.....who says Nedny would have made the kick or if it were blocked return for a score.......but let just say he did make the kick....Falcons would still would have had about a minute to score a TD...and the way Ryan was hitting his receivers, that was not out of the question.

not saying it was the right thing to do....but its not like the game would have been over for sure if Nate went straight down.
OK. I'll play.

He goes down at the 15 with 1:32 to play. The 49ers had been moving the ball reasonably well. There is nothing to say that they would not have gotten a first down inside the 5 which would have iced it, or even a touchdown. Also, Johnson was not calling the Jimmy Raye dive play. He was keeping things spread out and Atlanta was not dominating defensively. Chances of using up the rest of the clock are very good.

Also, Ryan did hit some passes on that final drive but overall he did NOT have a good game. He threw some passes that were as bad or worse than the Smith picks and misses.

So even if the 49ers had to settle for a field goal, that leaves the Falcons with a 75 yard field and no time outs for a quarterback that was not having a good game. I'll take those odds all the time.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

alex did not lose this game. Nate needs to go down. If he does game over. He tried to be a hero. We don't need heros we need smart TEAM players.

at least he made an incredible play in intercepting the ball in the first place, Ryan was ready to drive down field anyway.....and Nate also had a great game leading up to that...and so did most of our defense...even Haralson played well....and for a Rookie Taylor Mays did fine for his first ever start

2 interceptions....
He needs to go, S.Hill was 3-2 when he was benched, Alex is 0-4, What's the difference???
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kneel_B4_ZOD:
I too have seen the light. I find myself wondering who our QB will be next year, and if he'll actually be able to throw a deep ball...

Coach Sing is an !d!0t, dont be surprised if Alexcuses is re-signed...
You guys are blinded by emotion. Rationality goes out the window and is replaced by over-reaction. Look at the numbers. Alex is not one of the elites of the league, but he falls in the middle group. After that, nowwheresville.

I get tired of saying this, but good NFL QBs do not grow on trees. As some have said before, you better have someone better available before you replace him. He has played well many times before. Most of his passes today were right on target. He is in a funk, no doubt, with his mistakes. I think he is trying to do too much. Good coaching would help.

I think he is the best we have right now, and our best chance for the rest of the season. He can play better - he has before. Look at many of the other QBs around the league. All but a few have had a couple of crappy games so far this year. I tell you, this is not an easy position to play, and for most, they need lots of help.

well if you want to get like that....well we were still in the lead after that fumble..

THEN WHO DO YOU WANT TO BLAME NOW?????? NATE Again??

I don't know what your problem is 9erJim....but I don't remember you ever being this dense.

Nate a Vet, he goes down we win. what part of that you dont get? He screwed up. Late in the game in a tight game on the road a vet should know better. He cost the 49ers the game. He makes huge $$$. he screwed up.
I don't think money had anything to do with it but, yes, it was all on Clements. He's a vet who should have realized exactly how much time there was and gone down. If he goes down, the offense can run three plays and kick a field goal which would have left Atlanta with something like 25 seconds to drive the entire length of the field with no time outs remaining.

I agree he should have went out of bounds or down..but like I said, I understand what he was trying to do during those circumstances our team was in....was showing.

anyway..there was 1:30 left when he fumbled...if he quickly went down...maybe there would have been say 1:37....the Falcons had all 3 timeouts

so worse case scenario....they stop our patented run up the middle with Gore....

maybe about 1:10 left if not more.....who says Nedny would have made the kick or if it were blocked return for a score.......but let just say he did make the kick....Falcons would still would have had about a minute to score a TD...and the way Ryan was hitting his receivers, that was not out of the question.

not saying it was the right thing to do....but its not like the game would have been over for sure if Nate went straight down.
OK. I'll play.

He goes down at the 15 with 1:32 to play. The 49ers had been moving the ball reasonably well. There is nothing to say that they would not have gotten a first down inside the 5 which would have iced it, or even a touchdown. Also, Johnson was not calling the Jimmy Raye dive play. He was keeping things spread out and Atlanta was not dominating defensively. Chances of using up the rest of the clock are very good.

Also, Ryan did hit some passes on that final drive but overall he did NOT have a good game. He threw some passes that were as bad or worse than the Smith picks and misses.

So even if the 49ers had to settle for a field goal, that leaves the Falcons with a 75 yard field and no time outs for a quarterback that was not having a good game. I'll take those odds all the time.

The way Smith was playing, he could have overthrown someone for a tipped INT that led to a pick-6.

This game sucks.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
A veteran player has to know the situation. He's near the 10 and at the sideline running into a blocker. Just go out of bounds there. Why Nate thinks he can fight for the 10 more yards needed is beyond me. Just go out of bounds.

Yeah, Alex did just enough to lose the game. But Nate lost it. Yeah, the D did give up the 70 or so yards for the game-winning FG. But the game could've been over before that opportunity came for the Falcons.

They kicked the FG with 2 seconds left. If the ball wasn't fumbled and the O just kneeled 3 times to let the Falcons burn their timeouts, well, it just sucks is all.

Get real bro. If Alex Smith had put points on the board, the game wouldn't even be close. Our D shut them down for most of the day.

The point is, bro, that the team was in position to win DESPITE Alex Smith's mistakes today. Ryan also threw 2 picks today yet his team did just enough to win despite those mistakes.

So us having the ball, w/the lead, in FG range time after time doesn't put us in a position to win? I guess it doesn't if Alex Smith is your QB right? Nate sucked for that play, Smith sucked all game.

Are you kidding me? Read my damn post! If Nate goes out of bounds, the game SHOULD BE OVER. As in the 9ers winning 14-13. All this DESPITE Alex's horrid mistakes. MY POINT IS the team was in position to win the game DESPITE Alex Smith. Does that makes sense? This is in no way saying anything good about Alex.
  • dj43

The only offensive weapons this team has are Vernon Davis and Frank Gore. Crabtree doesn't scare anybody. He is a possession receiver and nothing more. Morgan is a backup forced to play because of the lack of talent at the WR spot. Other than Davis NONE of the 49er receivers would even make the roster in Green Bay much less start. They have four receivers better than any of the 49er receivers. Even Vernon Davis, as good as he is, is very little better than Jermichael Finley.

People need to adjust their expectations about the 49er passing game no matter who plays quarterback.

Not just Nate, but it was his crucial mistake that prevented the opportunity for an almost certain win.
He is one piece where we could use a better player. But we also have...

~ The dumbest ownership the league.
~ The worst HC in the league.
~ No GM on an NFL team...
~ CB's that jump too many routes.
~ Return men who can't catch a punt.

And more. Those aren't Alexcuses BTW. I wouldn't mind an upgrade at QB. But thinking plugging in a QB will fix ALL of our problems is just delusional.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He is one piece where we could use a better player. But we also have...

~ The dumbest ownership the league.
~ The worst HC in the league.
~ No GM on an NFL team...
~ CB's that jump too many routes.
~ Return men who can't catch a punt.

And more. Those aren't Alexcuses BTW. I wouldn't mind an upgrade at QB. But thinking plugging in a QB will fix ALL of our problems is just delusional.

Agreed. When Mike Johnson said the niners would be more creative, I didn't think he meant the ways we'd find to lose...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:
You guys are blinded by emotion. Rationality goes out the window and is replaced by over-reaction. Look at the numbers. Alex is not one of the elites of the league, but he falls in the middle group. After that, nowwheresville.

I get tired of saying this, but good NFL QBs do not grow on trees. As some have said before, you better have someone better available before you replace him. He has played well many times before. Most of his passes today were right on target. He is in a funk, no doubt, with his mistakes. I think he is trying to do too much. Good coaching would help.

I think he is the best we have right now, and our best chance for the rest of the season. He can play better - he has before. Look at many of the other QBs around the league. All but a few have had a couple of crappy games so far this year. I tell you, this is not an easy position to play, and for most, they need lots of help.

I agree. We should continue starting Alex Smith. The more he starts, the more the losses will pile up increasing our chances to get Luck or Locker.
Originally posted by excelsior:

QB is not an easy position to play for us non-football players.

Alex has a Probowl RB, Probowl TE, and a Potential ProBowl WR.....and now an offense that suited for him...spread or what ever.

Sam Bradford lost his #1WR before the season even started....and doesn't have the weapons we have....but compared to Alex, he makes it look "easy".

Shaun Hill with the Lions personal, is putting up points with them...has been asked to score on almost every drive because of their defense...and has thrown INTs here and there....but still had the Detroit Lions close to winning in 3 games this season on the final drive.....as well as just putting up good #s.

and we can mention other QBs...

Alex needs everything around him to be PERFECT....Probowl Oline, 2 Probowl WR, Probowl RB, *ProBowl* coaches...lol......to help him apparently play well consistently.
Share 49ersWebzone