LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

I've broken on through....to the other side.No longer an A.Smith fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by seeking6th:
who would you prefer the 49ers replace smith with?

Carr sucks, T.Smith is Garcia short, N.Davis is 4th down in the p.s.......

Carr sucked with the Texans but that was a while back. Troy hasn't really had a chance and the same goes for Nate. There's potential there until they're played and fail.

If Smith is the same guy against the Eagles, I think it's time to see what Carr can do. And down the list until either 1 shows something or the season is over.
I was thinking about this today, I don't think anyone could consider Alex greater than Steve if he won just one super bowl, but what if he won two?

what do you think, Alex with two rings vs Steve with just one?

Of course we won't know until 2012 at earliest but its worth considering
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I have been a Alex Smith supporter since he was drafted and at this point of the season I still think he is our best hope, but his picks are killing us and he is not helping himself to get a new contract next year.

I don't want Carr starting, I would like to give Troy Smith a shot, but I don't think he has been with us long enough yet to pick up all the play book.

The way the season is going this year we are going to be in a position to get a high pick QB in next years draft.
PRO ALEX!
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
PRO ALEX!

Man I wish we picked up Colt Brennan. At least he would throw the damn ball around the field instead of dumping it off everytime.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
PRO ALEX!

Man I wish we picked up Colt Brennan. At least he would throw the damn ball around the field instead of dumping it off everytime.

He has potential but his sidearms kill me.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Damn shame our defense , and Gore were the only ones playing today.
We had to rely on our defense to win it, and it shouldn't have come down to Clements.

A.Smith.....I've supported him all of these years, thought that he was very smart, and agile, but he's not. He isn't accurate at all. We have to change our WHOLE offense to running because Smith sucks ass.

I'm done-zo

Sing coached a great defensive team, damn shame the qb position isn't secure at all.

I'd rather keep Sing than A.Smith.

KEEP SING, MODAFU*KA

alex did not lose this game. Nate needs to go down. If he does game over. He tried to be a hero. We don't need heros we need smart TEAM players.

Nate may have directly lead to the Falcons win but IN NO WAY IS Alex Smith not culpable. His turn overs were very costly, especially the last one that took us out of field goal range. Even if Nate had held onto the ball and we won, how many more games would we be expected to win with the incomplete offense?
Originally posted by znk916:
I was thinking about this today, I don't think anyone could consider Alex greater than Steve if he won just one super bowl, but what if he won two?

what do you think, Alex with two rings vs Steve with just one?

Of course we won't know until 2012 at earliest but its worth considering

Alex won't be around that long, gone season's end
Damn shame our defense , and Gore were the only ones playing today.
We had to rely on our defense to win it, and it shouldn't have come down to Clements.

A.Smith.....I've supported him all of these years, thought that he was very smart, and agile, but he's not. He isn't accurate at all. We have to change our WHOLE offense to running because Smith sucks ass.

I'm done-zo

Sing coached a great defensive team, damn shame the qb position isn't secure at all.

I'd rather keep Sing than A.Smith.

KEEP SING, MODAFU*KA

Welcome back from the dark side.

LB
I don't why people seem to be so high on the defense as if they played a great game. The Falcons were moving at will on them at the end of the game. It's the same story every close game for the Niners, when they need the defense to step up and stop the other team in the last 5 minutes of the game, they fade away and give up the points needed for the other team to win.

The only thing this defense is good at is keeping the game close enough in order to make the opposing team's QB look like a hero. Seriously. Matt Ryan drove up the entire length of the field TWICE in the last two minutes. Not to mention the 3rd and 15 on the first drive, which had Matt Ryan throwing out of his own endzone, only to convert because the D sucks.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:40 AM ]

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

The only thing this defense is good at is keeping the game close enough in order to make the opposing team's QB look like a hero. Seriously. Matt Ryan drove up the entire length of the field TWICE in the last two minutes. Not to mention the 3rd and 15 on the first drive, which had Matt Ryan throwing out of his own endzone, only to convert because the D sucks.

So holding a good team to 16 points while we spot the offense a TD means that the D sucks? Please, if we had a QB that put points on the board like the O is supposed to the game would've been won in the 3rd quarter. The D only kept it close because the O couldn't pull away.
My position hasn't really changed. I still think that Smith gives us the best chance right now to have an (admittedly decreasing) chance at making the playoffs. At the beginning of the year I thought it was about 50-50 as to whether or not he would take that next step in to a dependable QB. I think that my feeling now is that he has about a 25% chance. HE is just being too tentative, and while he wasn't as bad as some are saying this last game, he also wasn't good enough. The line issues are a bit troubling, and he is not handling the pressure well as it accumulates ove r the course of the game. He can't turn the ball over like that, and he does it too often. Also, he just seems to have bad luck, which isn't really his fault I guess, but happens too often to not be a bit demoralizing and create a loser's mentality. His only chance is to tear it up the rest of the year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen with his demeanor. IT seems like he doesn't really believe in himself when things start to go wrong.

I will still cheer for him to get it back (or get consistent), and I don't think there is any reason to start another player this year. If Smith is not going to get it done I promise you that the other guys won't either. Unfortunately this team is 2 plays away from 2-2, but keep finding ways to lose. If the losing keeps happening then somewhere near the time that we are seriously out of the playoff picture then I can see putting in some new guys but in the end what that will mean is that we must (in the off-season)either sign a good Free agent, trade for a franchise QB, and/or draft one in round 1 or 2. I'm still keeping hope alive because I am a fan!
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BobS:
I always wondered why so many zoners have made excuses for him for all these years. I just figured a lot of his friends and family are zoners.

You're on ~Ceadder

I second this...
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

So holding a good team to 16 points while we spot the offense a TD means that the D sucks? Please, if we had a QB that put points on the board like the O is supposed to the game would've been won in the 3rd quarter. The D only kept it close because the O couldn't pull away.

Where in my post did I say that the "D sucks"? I was pointing out that the D didn't play as good of a game as people seem to claim. They did the same thing in the New Orleans game, against the Vikings last year, against the Falcons yesterday and they continue to do it. They never step up and win the game. This team is suppose to revolve around the D like the Steelers or the Ravens, but those defenses can actually win games, the Niner's cannot. They are choke artists.
Its very hard to defend Alex after a performance like that. Sure Clemmons made a dumb decision at the end and cost the Niners the win, but the game should have been out of reach even before the interception. All Alex had to do is get the Niners in field goal range for a lousy three points....... The defense kept Atlanta out of the endzone most of the day and the offense coudn't score 10 points to help seal the win.....

IMO Alex is just as much to blame for the loss as Clemmons. I'm still an Alex Smith supporter but I can't take much more..........
Share 49ersWebzone