LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Mike Lombardi on Singletary's Mess

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Its Singletary's mess, thanks to the QB.

Ignorance strikes again.
Good leaders are proactive, not reactionary, Mr. Singletary. Now forfeit your job and hand it over to me!
Good read

Team is a big mess
raye deserved to be fired. his plays were out of f**king 1950. when was the last time you saw us run a f**king toss play? or get a well designed screen?

it's one thing for singletary to say to him "hey, i want balance, but i want to be able to run" but its another thing for raye to then call the most vanilla offense ever.
Originally posted by Shaj:
The reason I think Lombardi has a point is that for a few games last year, Raye went to a wide open attack suddenly. Does anyone remember that? It was a complete departure from his prior game planning ways. 33 year veteran coaches don't make these kind of sudden shifts based on a whim. Somebody told him to do that, and that could only have been Singletary. Therefore, Raye probably *was* doing what he was told, and probably was a scapegoat in that regards.

Sing said he wanted "physicality with an 'F'", and that he wanted us to be able to run undisguised runs, where "they know we are going to run and we know we're going to run, and there's nothing they can do about it." That is exactly what Raye has been doing.

I think Mike Johnson will do better, perhaps much better, but I think Raye was the scapegoat for Singletary's own ill defined offensive persona he wanted this team to have.

Well stated. Raye was carrying out Sing's wishes. I was thinking about the spread offense we ran for a few games last year. I think they implemented it after the Texans game. Anyway, I was shocked that Raye and our offense actually opened it up. It was nice, but there has to be somewhat of a happy medium. It seems as if we are too conservative, or as we did last year, we go to a modern day run and shoot.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Ignorance strikes again.

It took you a while to come back...
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Ignorance strikes again.

It took you a while to come back...

I take my time.

You are really short sighted.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

no wonder he passes to Gore all the time, I think you're right, Alex is short sighted...
How many offensive coordinators turned down the job? If Singletary had vision he would have kept Martz. He could've used his 85 Bear team as an example. Ditka and Ryan did not get along but that didn't stop them from winning a Super Bowl. Singletary demands respect and imposing his will on a team. Too bad he wasn't flexible enough for the teams sake. Atlanta smells like a train wreck unless a miracle happens. And it appears evident that Singletary is no miracle man.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

no wonder he passes to Gore all the time, I think you're right, Alex is short sighted...

No. He's actually talking about you and your incompetence.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
"Staying up all night after the defeat in Kansas City -- as Singletary indicated he did -- to evaluate the 49ers offense, most specifically Raye, seems like he is making Raye the scapegoat. The time to evaluate Raye was during the mini camps, during the official team activities, and before any game. If Singletary didn't like the offense all he had to do was tell Raye to make the changes.

If Singletary did not like what Raye was doing he should have said something in March or April and made the changes accordingly. Waiting until the season starts clearly makes Raye the scapegoat, and now puts Singletary next in the line of fire."

The rest of the article is very good and worth reading.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afbe76/article/a-lesson-for-singletary-motivation-begins-with-education?module=HP_cp2

In defense of Sing (I cant believe I'm saying that), I dont think the problem was with the offensive system it was with the play calling. When you are practicing you probably see a number of diffrent plays, but not how they will be strung together. Look how fluid we looked in preseason. We went 4-0. The offense looked fairly creative. Then the season started and we were calling 3 consecutive run plays up the gut down 21 points at the end of the 3rd. How do you account for that?

When I saw that the only explanation I could think of was that Raye was purposely trying to sabotage the team. I know, that's unthinkable, but I honestly couldn't think of a rational explanation.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

How come Alex sucks and Gore does not?

cause Gore is not the QB

Alex playing like a Pro-Bowler might not have been enough to win either blowout against Seattle or KC.

Consider, he played quite well against New Orleans, but they still lost. Why? Turnovers and defense...a defense that is tied for worst in the league for points allowed.

Frankly, every post I read by you just demonstrates to me (and everyone else) how little understanding you have for the game. QBs tend to get disproportionate credit when things go well, and disproportionate blame when things go badly. But that's only with the fickle media and the casual fans who have no depth in their knowledge of the game.

first of all, Alex will never play like a probowl qb. hey, the team needs another change, for example, TN (sorry memph!s) benched V.Young cause he sucked one game, and the next gane he started. why not bench Alex at some point and try the back-up. its early in the season and things are not over yet...

Because when the other team is calling out your plays before you run them, it's hard to be successful period.

thats the most absurd excuse I've heard on the WZ.
However, it will account for Alexcuse #421

Amazing. A completely irrational post.

Fly is a troll. How is it still a member of this board?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

How come Alex sucks and Gore does not?

cause Gore is not the QB

Alex playing like a Pro-Bowler might not have been enough to win either blowout against Seattle or KC.

Consider, he played quite well against New Orleans, but they still lost. Why? Turnovers and defense...a defense that is tied for worst in the league for points allowed.

Frankly, every post I read by you just demonstrates to me (and everyone else) how little understanding you have for the game. QBs tend to get disproportionate credit when things go well, and disproportionate blame when things go badly. But that's only with the fickle media and the casual fans who have no depth in their knowledge of the game.

first of all, Alex will never play like a probowl qb. hey, the team needs another change, for example, TN (sorry memph!s) benched V.Young cause he sucked one game, and the next gane he started. why not bench Alex at some point and try the back-up. its early in the season and things are not over yet...

Because when the other team is calling out your plays before you run them, it's hard to be successful period.

thats the most absurd excuse I've heard on the WZ.
However, it will account for Alexcuse #421

Amazing. A completely irrational post.

Fly is a troll. How is it still a member of this board?

Have you read your posts???
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
I used to really like Lombardi, but lately I think he's overly critical of the 49ers...maybe because he used to work for them in the glory years and hasn't adjusted to the new reality.

He makes a useful point at the end of the article, though:

"The 49ers are 31st in points scored, which cost offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye his job, but they are also 28th in defensive points allowed. Their 0-3 start is not just one person's fault, but rather an entire team effort."

Lombardi is also a Bay Area resident, so there is a good possibility that he is a fan of the team and disgruntled like a lot of fans are.

Yeah, and Im sure a supernatural head coach called Genius is a big reason for that.
Share 49ersWebzone