LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Mike Lombardi on Singletary's Mess

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's so obvious that Raye was doing Singletary's wishes with the offense. That is why he said it in his interview that he was shocked he got fired. Wouldn't you be shocked you got fired if you did exactly what you bosses told you?
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Its Singletary's mess, thanks to the QB.

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

How come Alex sucks and Gore does not?

cause Gore is not the QB

Alex playing like a Pro-Bowler might not have been enough to win either blowout against Seattle or KC.

Consider, he played quite well against New Orleans, but they still lost. Why? Turnovers and defense...a defense that is tied for worst in the league for points allowed.

Frankly, every post I read by you just demonstrates to me (and everyone else) how little understanding you have for the game. QBs tend to get disproportionate credit when things go well, and disproportionate blame when things go badly. But that's only with the fickle media and the casual fans who have no depth in their knowledge of the game.

Well, understandably so. I support the idea that the best offense sometimes is a great defense. However, it seems when our offense is really stinking it up, defense seems to just follow suit instead of rising up to the occasion to make up for the struggling offense... so sad...
Originally posted by aMikeNolanGuy:
It's so obvious that Raye was doing Singletary's wishes with the offense. That is why he said it in his interview that he was shocked he got fired. Wouldn't you be shocked you got fired if you did exactly what you bosses told you?

That's BS. Sing said he wanted a physical hard nosed balanced offense. How Raye interpets that is up to him. Nobody in their right mind calls the plays the way he did. Was it Sings fault good ol Jimmy couldn't get the plays in on time? No, Raye just sucks at his job.

It would be like saying, I like my pancakes with syrup (the run game) so you proceed to dump the whole bottle on top of my flap jacks. Everthing needs to be within reason and in context. As an NFL OC Raye should have understood that. It sure sounds like MJ does.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

cause Gore is not the QB

Alex playing like a Pro-Bowler might not have been enough to win either blowout against Seattle or KC.

Consider, he played quite well against New Orleans, but they still lost. Why? Turnovers and defense...a defense that is tied for worst in the league for points allowed.

Frankly, every post I read by you just demonstrates to me (and everyone else) how little understanding you have for the game. QBs tend to get disproportionate credit when things go well, and disproportionate blame when things go badly. But that's only with the fickle media and the casual fans who have no depth in their knowledge of the game.

first of all, Alex will never play like a probowl qb. hey, the team needs another change, for example, TN (sorry memph!s) benched V.Young cause he sucked one game, and the next gane he started. why not bench Alex at some point and try the back-up. its early in the season and things are not over yet...

cause Gore is not the QB

first of all, Alex will never play like a probowl qb. hey, the team needs another change, for example, TN (sorry memph!s) benched V.Young cause he sucked one game, and the next gane he started. why not bench Alex at some point and try the back-up. its early in the season and things are not over yet...

Because when the other team is calling out your plays before you run them, it's hard to be successful period.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:

cause Gore is not the QB

Because when the other team is calling out your plays before you run them, it's hard to be successful period.

thats the most absurd excuse I've heard on the WZ.
However, it will account for Alexcuse #421
Someday an insider will write a book about all this. I think we will be shocked when we hear about how things are done here now. Really shocked.

Don't underestimate the problems Johnson will have dealing with this. Sing may go along on the ride, but back-seat drive the whole time and make him turn back if he goes off onto unfamiliar roads or drives too fast.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
"Staying up all night after the defeat in Kansas City -- as Singletary indicated he did -- to evaluate the 49ers offense, most specifically Raye, seems like he is making Raye the scapegoat. The time to evaluate Raye was during the mini camps, during the official team activities, and before any game. If Singletary didn't like the offense all he had to do was tell Raye to make the changes.

If Singletary did not like what Raye was doing he should have said something in March or April and made the changes accordingly. Waiting until the season starts clearly makes Raye the scapegoat, and now puts Singletary next in the line of fire."

The rest of the article is very good and worth reading.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afbe76/article/a-lesson-for-singletary-motivation-begins-with-education?module=HP_cp2

In defense of Sing (I cant believe I'm saying that), I dont think the problem was with the offensive system it was with the play calling. When you are practicing you probably see a number of diffrent plays, but not how they will be strung together. Look how fluid we looked in preseason. We went 4-0. The offense looked fairly creative. Then the season started and we were calling 3 consecutive run plays up the gut down 21 points at the end of the 3rd. How do you account for that?

Agree nice post!
Can't all our problems be fixed with more nutcracker drills....
I think it is getting obvious that Sing is losing the team, Johnson coming in and OC'ing isn't gonna fix the overall team preparation and motivation that is lacking on this team.

I mean how many times can you remember a guy just up and quit on the Niners?
How does that happen?
I can just picture Sing having a conversation in his office with Jesus and asking him for direction.....pathetic.

Its over for this year.

And yeah Alex is a mediocre QB. Not much more to say on that subject. But there are 52 other guys on the squad.

cause Gore is not the QB

Amazing. A completely irrational post.
Originally posted by English:

cause Gore is not the QB

Amazing. A completely irrational post.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM ]
That article was on point. Singletary is in over his head. He lacks innovation. Her wants to ideally emulate the 85 Bears, but now realizes he can't play that kind of football and win in todays nfl and is clueless what to do now. The Niners will ber one of the worst teams in the league and there will be a house clearing in the off season.

Hopefully Manusky is retained.
I agree with Lombardi about Sing's lack of knowledge to be a head coach. I am suprised that we have not hired more football people for Sing to bounce ideas and get help from. We have set ourselves up to fail. But if for some miracle happens and the Niners run off three to four wins in a row all of this will be forgotten
Originally posted by Shaj:
The reason I think Lombardi has a point is that for a few games last year, Raye went to a wide open attack suddenly. Does anyone remember that? It was a complete departure from his prior game planning ways. 33 year veteran coaches don't make these kind of sudden shifts based on a whim. Somebody told him to do that, and that could only have been Singletary. Therefore, Raye probably *was* doing what he was told, and probably was a scapegoat in that regards.

Sing said he wanted "physicality with an 'F'", and that he wanted us to be able to run undisguised runs, where "they know we are going to run and we know we're going to run, and there's nothing they can do about it." That is exactly what Raye has been doing.

I think Mike Johnson will do better, perhaps much better, but I think Raye was the scapegoat for Singletary's own ill defined offensive persona he wanted this team to have.

No doubt -Gore up the middle again? Dingletary/Raye might as well just give the opposition the playbook. My wife can figure out what play we are going to next. UGH...And am I the only one who is sick of the way Singletary speaks?
Share 49ersWebzone