LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The One Play That Made Me Turn The TV Off

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There was one simple play in Sunday's game that caused be to turn the TV off in total disgust and made me realize the tremendous doo-doo we were in as an offense. This is not a defense of Alex but just an observation of what this poor kid has been up against with Raye and Singletary. On a designed roll out by Alex, he was supposed to find an open receiver. The replay showed there were no receivers to be found on that side of the field, resulting in him throwing the ball away. Of course, he was blasted by the haters for not making a play. I then realized that there was absolutely no coordination between Raye, the "great" Jerry Sullivan and the rest of the bunglers. In the glory days of Bill Walsh, on a designed roll out, Montana would have three (3) receivers flooding the zone, deep, medium and short, giving Joe the option of who to throw to. I then realized how far we had fallen as a team offensively. I almost puked when I saw the the lack of scheming and coordination on that play. It told me all that I needed to know about Raye, Singletary and the total lack of any kind offensive coaching. Hopefully, Mike Johnson is aware of the complete folly that has been going on. Thanks for letting me rant.
Yet people on this forum are so hopeful and optimistic that on Sunday all these major blunders will magically get fixed because we have another non-qual calling the shots.
Maybe your referring to the flea flicker? I don't know there were sooo many frustrating plays like that. One of them he rolled right looking to make a play and VD just sits in the same spot, didn't throw a block or try to get open. Just pretty much stayed covered. This entire team is frustrating to watch right now
Help is available - Gruden, Holmgren. Jed just needs to pick up the phone!
Originally posted by contrarios:

Holmgren? You been under a rock for the last year?
I don't expect miracles, just maybe more enthusiasm and some promising direction.

Sing is still the coach and he will try to interject himself into everything in order to show everyone who is in charge and to salvage what he can of his ball control vision.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Holmgren? You been under a rock for the last year?

He doesnt like to do his homework im guessing
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM ]

I hope he has a better list if he picks the phone up.
On "that play" you say? Stuff like that seems to happen every other series... Anyway, I hear you brother. Lets hope we've turned a page with the promotion of Johnson.

• fryet
  • Veteran
I wish Smith would try and run for some yardage when he rolls to his right. Defenses know that all they need to do is continue to cover the right side of the field and the result will be an incomplete pass. If Smith starts to run for yardage, then you will get defenders to bite on Smith, leaving someone uncovered.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Maybe your referring to the flea flicker? I don't know there were sooo many frustrating plays like that. One of them he rolled right looking to make a play and VD just sits in the same spot, didn't throw a block or try to get open. Just pretty much stayed covered. This entire team is frustrating to watch right now

VD still hasn't learned how to get open... I don't think he should have been paid until he showed a nack for doing something as simple as that as a receiver. Then again, if he was under Raye's orders to stand like a statue at times, I take back my comments.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

He needs to swipe his parents checkbook. Honestly a lot of posters mention high profile coaches and front office people, what makes you think the Yorks will cough up the cash for a big name?
Originally posted by BobS:

He needs to swipe his parents checkbook. Honestly a lot of posters mention high profile coaches and front office people, what makes you think the Yorks will cough up the cash for a big name?

What people don't get is that if coaches are available...then why are they available?
Share 49ersWebzone