There are 251 users in the forums

'92 Niners-Falcons: aka the "Jerry Glanville, how's my A$$ Taste?" Serie

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For all the newer 49er fans who don't remember the good ole days of the NFC West, here's a little history lesson that I always remember whenever we play Atlanta.

Chapter 37 of 49ers History: Don't **** with Steve Young

Background info: In the 1991 Season, the Falcons and the 49ers both finished 10-6, however Atlanta ended up winning the division as they swept the 49ers in the season series (by a combined 5 points). As a result the Niners missed the playoffs for the first time since 1983. Just three weeks after losing 39-34 in SF, the 49ers had the lead on the Falcons 14-10. That's when Billy Joe Toliver (everyone should remember and hate him) threw this prayer of a ball 44 yards that somehow landed in Michael Haynes arms for the winning touchdown. Standard crushing defeat for today's 49ers, but that wasn't something we were used to back then.

(Note: here's the 1991 Atlanta season rewind, which I'm sure shows both BS wins over the Niners, however I'm not sitting through 22 minutes of that garbage to find out where it is. It'll just make me angry)

The Niners lost the following week to the Saints (no Steve Young?), and even though they went on to win out, they were left out of the playoffs. On the final week of the season, they took it out on the Bears, whooping them 52-14. The Bears were a playoff team. It was just a look at what was to come for Atlanta the next time these two teams played.

1992: There are very few acts of revenge in sports or movies that measure up to what the 49ers did to the Falcons in '92. This was payback of Keyser Soze proportions. Absolute annihilation.

Meeting 1 took place during week seven at SF. The 49ers blitzed those dirty bird ******* and took a 42-10 LEAD AT HALFTIME. Think they were done? LOL at you. In the 3rd Quarter with the game well out of reach, the Niners (who still had all their starters in) ran a reverse to Jerry Rice - AND STEVE YOUNG WAS THE FIRST PLAYER OUT THERE TO BLOCK FOR HIM! The team is up by 32 points, and the starting QB is downfield putting a hit on the linebacker?! Yo are you serious?!!?! Oh and Apparently, 39 points wasn't enough, so Steve Young hit Brent Jones for a 4th quarter touchdown pass to make the score 56-10. Falcons got a late game score (final 56-17: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199210180sfo.htm) that apparently pissed SF off so much that they vowed NOT to let them in the endzone for round 2.

Round 2 in the newly minted Georgia Dome. SF takes a more systematic path to destruction this time, deciding to spread the punishment out over four quarters. Nothing too noteworthy except the final 41-3 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199211090atl.htm). Two games final: 97-20. Hey Jerry Glanville - HOW'S MY *** TASTE?!

Highlights are in here somewhere: http://www.hulu.com/watch/124117/team-highlights-1992-san-francisco-49ers?team=san-francisco-49ers&show=3824#x-4,v,1,0

In conclusion, this is hilarious and is going to make me feel better before and after this Sunday which I'm sure will get ugly. Good for you if you read this far.
[ Edited by Chrs0049 on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM ]
I remember that last touchdown toss in '91. Really sucked. I couldn't believe we missed the playoffs. Thought it was a bad dream.

Wow, how things change, huh?
Ahhh, the days of yore. Too bad our fortunes have seemingly reversed.
What I remember about that second game in 91, after the Falcons had won, is one of those dirty birds running around the stadium with some sort of trophy, rubbing in the victory. They also claimed themselves to be the new kings of the West (back when Atlanta was somehow in the West). Not many victories, outside of ALL 5 SUPERBOWL TITLES, were as satisfying as those next two where we rubbed those birds noses in their own s**t.
What I remember is MC Hammer and Travis Trit roaming the Atlanta sideline

2legit 2quit
[ Edited by zeppfan1 on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by the_admiral:
What I remember about that second game in 91, after the Falcons had won, is one of those dirty birds running around the stadium with some sort of trophy, rubbing in the victory. They also claimed themselves to be the new kings of the West (back when Atlanta was somehow in the West). Not many victories, outside of ALL 5 SUPERBOWL TITLES, were as satisfying as those next two where we rubbed those birds noses in their own s**t.

I remember that stupid 5 foot tall "California" trophy they had on the sidelines. The Falcons proclaimed themselves the state champions of California after they had beaten every team in CA the year before. They ended up carting that thing from the sidelines with a hand truck before the end of the game. The Niners were up by about 30 points at the time. Ahhh! The good old days!
Originally posted by the_admiral:

I remember that stupid 5 foot tall "California" trophy they had on the sidelines. The Falcons proclaimed themselves the state champions of California after they had beaten every team in CA the year before. They ended up carting that thing from the sidelines with a hand truck before the end of the game. The Niners were up by about 30 points at the time. Ahhh! The good old days!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The good old days I do miss them.
Originally posted by dobo:
Before the 2002 realignment, did any team have to travel more miles than the 49ers during the regular season?

Not many. We had our share of early starts back then.

But it didn't matter if the Niners played at 10 AM or 1 PM. They were ALWAYS prepared. You could count on this team to come out of the gate FAST.

That began to change somewhat during the Mooch years -- albeit the team was still OK. It wasn't the powerhouse it had been -- but it will still pretty good. But those early road games -- I remember -- became a real struggle for us.

In the past five years? The team is still sleeping at 10 AM. They don't roll out of the sack until halftime. And they're just starting to brush their teeth when they finish at the wrong end of a 41-10 a$$ whuppin.
best 49er arse whooping that I recall was during the 89-90 season when Montana and Rice combined for 5 td's on the dirty birds secondary

Oh the memories. I remember that game in '91, they were running around like they won the super bowl. We owned their asses up until that year but those beatdowns in 1992 were just something else. I miss the days when beating the 49ers meant you had actually accomplished something. As opposed to now when you just show up and win.
oh man i was too young to remember this well but i do vaguely remember putting a drubbing on them. and just in general how we abused the nfl in the 80s and 90s was just soooo much fun. everyone got embarassed. good times indeed. i'd trade my memories of my first girlfriend for my memories of my first time being able to gloat about the 9ers dominance any day of the week. in deed.
Im for real, it doesent seem like that long ago! Unfortunatley it is
Yeah those were good times,didnt we win 18 in a row against the rams?I remember after that 1 game Dana Stubblefield saying same old sorry ass rams,that was some funny crap,ahhh good times.
Nice post, Chris049. I was suprised at how little hatred Atlanta garnered during the "team that jumps out at you on the schedule" thread. Between the '91 season and what they did to Garrison Hearst, I'd rather beat the Falcons than the Cowboys. Despite the heartbreakers in the '70's you were losing to Landry and what was a pretty classy club, losing to a dirtbag like Glanville was something altogether different.
Share 49ersWebzone