LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

The Curse Of Eddie D?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by BHulman:
It's the curse of the Yorks. Eddie D. was gold except for his gambling fiasco.

Part of the problem the Niners have experienced this decade (he is not responsible for Donahue or Nolan) is a result of the bill Eddie and Carmen Policy ran up in the 90s that led to the salary cap hell the Niners were mired in for a number of years. Eddie's management had a hand in the troubles. Eddie was the perfect owner when there was no salary cap and you had Bill Walsh at the helm. But the salary cap and the loss of Walsh (and greater reliance on Policy) left Eddie a little less than golden.

That is a good point - Eddie was great but had not adapted well to the salary cap yet. Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark did some pretty bad things (a number of off the books side contracts with players like Steve Young and Jerry for one) that actually cost the franchise draft picks in 2002 and Policy and Clark were suspended for 4 games from Cleveland for the violations.

Eddie is still a winner and would not still be mired in this disaster - he would have regrouped and found a way to put a winner on the field.

We are long since out of the salary cap problems. The 49ers of 2010 have no cap problems at all. Not sure why people make this an issue. It is not.

San Dog - Yep we are out of cap hell but when Eddie turned over the team there were a number of bad contracts and dead money that had to be cleared that was left over - Carmen Policy had backloaded alot of the contracts to keep the team winning with Eddie's blessing as a way of getting around the cap - well all that stuff came due and it hurt - just an example of how they had not adjusted to life with the Cap yet - I think we still owed Steve Young money 4 years after he had retired that counted against the cap.

Part of the problem the Niners have experienced this decade (he is not responsible for Donahue or Nolan) is a result of the bill Eddie and Carmen Policy ran up in the 90s that led to the salary cap hell the Niners were mired in for a number of years. Eddie's management had a hand in the troubles. Eddie was the perfect owner when there was no salary cap and you had Bill Walsh at the helm. But the salary cap and the loss of Walsh (and greater reliance on Policy) left Eddie a little less than golden.

That is a good point - Eddie was great but had not adapted well to the salary cap yet. Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark did some pretty bad things (a number of off the books side contracts with players like Steve Young and Jerry for one) that actually cost the franchise draft picks in 2002 and Policy and Clark were suspended for 4 games from Cleveland for the violations.

Eddie is still a winner and would not still be mired in this disaster - he would have regrouped and found a way to put a winner on the field.

We are long since out of the salary cap problems. The 49ers of 2010 have no cap problems at all. Not sure why people make this an issue. It is not.

San Dog - Yep we are out of cap hell but when Eddie turned over the team there were a number of bad contracts and dead money that had to be cleared that was left over - Carmen Policy had backloaded alot of the contracts to keep the team winning with Eddie's blessing as a way of getting around the cap - well all that stuff came due and it hurt - just an example of how they had not adjusted to life with the Cap yet - I think we still owed Steve Young money 4 years after he had retired that counted against the cap.

There is no dead money for years now. That was mostly early and mid 2000's but not late and not into 2010. That's no excuse for 0 - 3.

There is no dead money for years now. That was mostly early and mid 2000's but not late and not into 2010. That's no excuse for 0 - 3.

No one is making excuses for the present state of the Franchise - This is all the Yorks own doing I think theearlier point was Eddie was not perfect - and yes that is correct that is why I was bringing up the dead money - they didn't take over the team in pristine shape BUT my counter point is simply yes he and Carmen made some poor cap decisions that would have led to maybe 2 down years - We would be winning again there is NO DOUBT in my mind if he was in charge - he would have rebuilt and would own the West still especially with the crap that is in it now.
Jabuke - Eddie will adapt and find a way he is to competitive and smart - also remember the Cap as we now it is GONE and it will not be coming back anytime soon it will be much softer in the new agreement.

The Difference between the Yorks and Eddie is simple - he cares about winning that is all he cares about - the Yorks care about making themselves more money and letting Jed have his little toy - They don't like the city never have and could care less about the franchise.

The York's are worse owner than the Bidwell and that is saying something.

I'm sure most owners care about winning, but most of them don't win a Super Bowl. Having a desire to win does not a good owner make.

Why you think he would magically come in and lead any team to a Super Bowl is beyond me. He may do well, he may not; but his success came in a different time with different rules, and he had the help of a coach who revolutionized the game.
[ Edited by Jabuke on Sep 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Jabuke:
Jabuke - Eddie will adapt and find a way he is to competitive and smart - also remember the Cap as we now it is GONE and it will not be coming back anytime soon it will be much softer in the new agreement.

The Difference between the Yorks and Eddie is simple - he cares about winning that is all he cares about - the Yorks care about making themselves more money and letting Jed have his little toy - They don't like the city never have and could care less about the franchise.

I'm sure most owners care about winning, but most of them don't win a Super Bowl. Having a desire to win does not a good owner make.

Why you think he would magically come in and lead any team to a Super Bowl is beyond me. He may do well, he may not; but his success came in a different time with different rules, and he had the help of a coach who revolutionized the game.

Our present owners do not care about anything other than sucking money out of this city and the NFL Fans - and if they can't get enough out of the area they are happy to moce somewhere else as they have threatened over and over.

Winners Win - I don't think he would magically do anything - he would establish a solid organization and go out and find the best football people he could to come in and run the Franchise like it should be ran - just like the first time around. If he was handed the reins now we would be in such a better situation the 49ers of 77 were TERRIBLE no talent a moron GM who had justn traded away our 1st 1K yard rusher and draft picks for OJ - he was smart enough to find Bill Walsh and then get out of his way - That is what good managers do - provide the money and then bring people in to run the franchise and stay out of their way.
Originally posted by wailers15:
How about the curse of salary cap hell and bad ownership?

YEs Thanks to Terry Donahue

No.

Many on this board still don't understand Donahue was just the "fall guy." The "scapegoat." The Yorks ownership told him to cut all the high priced players. He was doing as they said. They put him in a helpless scapegoat position. Much like sing put Raye in that same position telling him to run it up the middle 3 times and then punt. And he became sing's scapegoat. Do we see a pattern here?

Somewhat agree, however, Donahue resigned Plummer and Barlow to large contracts. He chose Mike Rumph, Kwame Harris, Rashaun Woods, and a whole host of second, third, and fourth rounders that were terrible. The Yorks do deserve blame, but Donahue was a large part of the problem.
  • ihab
  • Veteran
I was talking to a raider fan today and his hope is that when
Al Davis dies, his son will sell the team to . . . You guessed it Eddie d.

I could see it happening too. ( I hope not)
It's not a coincidence that the winning stopped and this dreadful losing football started as soon as he gave up control of the team. How would the 49ers have done if he never left? I guarantee you amateur clowns like Donahue, Mcloughan, Baalke, Marathe, Nolan, Singletary, Erickson, Raye, and Hostler wouldn't have even gotten jobs as janitors with the 49ers. The standards that he set for this franchise would have never allowed it. George Seifert was let go after a 12-4 but no Super Bowl. Marc Trestman was fired after we had the 3rd ranked offense. With this ownership, Raye got a second year after 27th ranked offense. Nolan got a 4th year after 5-11. Had it not been for the public outrage and rumors of NFL talking to Larry Ellison, Donahue and Erickson would have been retained after 2-14.

The only thing this franchise has in common with Debartolo teams is the logo. Besides that this franchise is skeleton of what is used to due to lack of leadership and just downright stupidity from the ownership.
Didn't read.

Curses are for losers.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Eddie D did a lot of things for the players that aren't governed by the cap that made them feel like family, he also had no problem spending money on staff. That would go a long way to improving the team.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
It's not a coincidence that the winning stopped and this dreadful losing football started as soon as he gave up control of the team. How would the 49ers have done if he never left? I guarantee you amateur clowns like Donahue, Mcloughan, Baalke, Marathe, Nolan, Singletary, Erickson, Raye, and Hostler wouldn't have even gotten jobs as janitors with the 49ers. The standards that he set for this franchise would have never allowed it. George Seifert was let go after a 12-4 but no Super Bowl. Marc Trestman was fired after we had the 3rd ranked offense. With this ownership, Raye got a second year after 27th ranked offense. Nolan got a 4th year after 5-11. Had it not been for the public outrage and rumors of NFL talking to Larry Ellison, Donahue and Erickson would have been retained after 2-14.

The only thing this franchise has in common with Debartolo teams is the logo. Besides that this franchise is skeleton of what is used to due to lack of leadership and just downright stupidity from the ownership.

Interesting that you include Baalke and Paraag in your gripe. I see no reason why Eddie would not have employed either of them. Baalke in particular has done, so far as I can judge, a very good job to date and yet you call him a clown.

Totally unjustified, IMO
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
How about the curse of salary cap hell and bad ownership?

YEs Thanks to Terry Donahue

No.

Many on this board still don't understand Donahue was just the "fall guy." The "scapegoat." The Yorks ownership told him to cut all the high priced players. He was doing as they said. They put him in a helpless scapegoat position. Much like sing put Raye in that same position telling him to run it up the middle 3 times and then punt. And he became sing's scapegoat. Do we see a pattern here?

Fail, as usual.

Edit: I can't let this slide.

You are going to try to convince everybody here that Yorks, as hands-off owners as can be, the same owners that extended Garcia, Barlow, Newberry, Plummer, and even today Gore, Willis, Davis, and actually negotiated a contract for a #1 overall pick, told the guy they ENTRUSTED because they don't know the 1st thing about managing a sports franchise to gut the team (when it was Donahue who convinced them that was what needed to happen)?

I'm sorry but if you truly believe that you are a FOOL, for lack of a better word.

I know people are upset, but you guys truly OVERESTIMATE just how much the owners' have an impact on the success and failures of a team. They don't coach, they don't score TDs, they don't play defense.
[ Edited by FL9er on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM ]

Sure why not! We sawe the "Curse of Joe Montana" in KC last w/e...AGAIN!
Share 49ersWebzone