LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

The Curse Of Eddie D?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Okay Seriously what have the 49ers done since Eddie D had to hand over the team to his sister? DeBartolo gave up control of the 49ers in 2000?

What after that did we do? and what HAS THE OWNERSHIP DONE?? Fired Mooch which I think was a mistake, I mean he was the last coach to get us to the playoffs, yes he did it 2 years in a row. Hired 2 fantastic coaches (lol) after Mooch Like:
03-Dennis Erickson 7-9
04- Dennis Erickson 2-14
05-Nolan 4-12
06-Nolan 7-9
07-Nolan 5-11
08-Nolan & Singles 7-9

Don't Forget The greatness of Terry Donahue. When Walsh retired in 2001 Donahue was elevated to the position of General Manager which he held for four seasons. So why fire Mooch when this d******d f**kED US!! Thanks to old Mr. UCLA s**t hit the fan for us cap wise, and drafting wise.

It kills me to this day. Denise won't sell back the team to him. Controlling b***h, with a p***y for a husband. Sorry Jed, but momma, and pappa should go back to Hockey. That was the buis they were in before Eddie D got into trouble.

DeBartolo was beloved as an owner, and many of his former players and fans i'm quite sure of still hold him in high regards.

I don't believe the state of this team would be like it is if Eddie D was Owner. He'd hold the players and coaches to a higher standard, and I think the players & coaches would feed off of that mentallity, and we wouldn't be such a joke of a franchise now.

look at our team. i'm not panacking at 0-3 I just think it'sa flat out joke who are coach is, who our player personal are. We could be doing so much better, yet we settle for less.

It's a new curse my friends. How's this for food for thought:

During his twenty-three years owning the team, beginning in 1977, the 49ers won an unprecedented five Super Bowls under coaches Bill Walsh and George Seifert, including Super Bowl XVI, Super Bowl XIX, Super Bowl XXIII, Super Bowl XXIV, and Super Bowl XXIX. From the early 1980s through the 1990s, DeBartolo presided over a team that had the winningest decade in football history.[4]

What has his siter & brother in law done for us????????? For the City???
It's the curse of the Yorks. Eddie D. was gold except for his gambling fiasco.
How about the curse of salary cap hell and bad ownership?
Originally posted by Jabuke:

YEs Thanks to Terry Donahue
Yes I ment to say the curse is more intended to his sister, and she's drowning in it but refuses to grab onto the life line lol.
Originally posted by wailers15:

YEs Thanks to Terry Donahue

No.

Many on this board still don't understand Donahue was just the "fall guy." The "scapegoat." The Yorks ownership told him to cut all the high priced players. He was doing as they said. They put him in a helpless scapegoat position. Much like sing put Raye in that same position telling him to run it up the middle 3 times and then punt. And he became sing's scapegoat. Do we see a pattern here?
Yes I ment to say the curse is more intended to his sister, and she's drowning in it but refuses to grab onto the life line lol.

It kills me to this day. Denise won't sell back the team to him.

I was under the impression that Eddie isn't allowed to own a team anymore...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Part of the problem the Niners have experienced this decade (he is not responsible for Donahue or Nolan) is a result of the bill Eddie and Carmen Policy ran up in the 90s that led to the salary cap hell the Niners were mired in for a number of years. Eddie's management had a hand in the troubles. Eddie was the perfect owner when there was no salary cap and you had Bill Walsh at the helm. But the salary cap and the loss of Walsh (and greater reliance on Policy) left Eddie a little less than golden.

Eddie is now allowed and welcomed by the NFL - he was one of the leading people to buy the Rams - though he would only do it if he could move them back to LA. Denise agreed that once Eddie got out of trouble she would sell the team back to him after the league gave it's blessing - she now refuses as she decided it to give it to Her retard of a husband and their little prince.

I am going to die if Eddie buys an expansion team and it ends up in LA - seriously he will be kicking our ass for years.
Originally posted by Sugatis:

Eddie is now allowed and welcomed by the NFL - he was one of the leading people to buy the Rams - though he would only do it if he could move them back to LA. Denise agreed that once Eddie got out of trouble she would sell the team back to him after the league gave it's blessing - she now refuses as she decided it to give it to Her retard of a husband and their little prince.

I am going to die if Eddie buys an expansion team and it ends up in LA - seriously he will be kicking our ass for years.

Yup.

Originally posted by BHulman:

Part of the problem the Niners have experienced this decade (he is not responsible for Donahue or Nolan) is a result of the bill Eddie and Carmen Policy ran up in the 90s that led to the salary cap hell the Niners were mired in for a number of years. Eddie's management had a hand in the troubles. Eddie was the perfect owner when there was no salary cap and you had Bill Walsh at the helm. But the salary cap and the loss of Walsh (and greater reliance on Policy) left Eddie a little less than golden.

That is a good point - Eddie was great but had not adapted well to the salary cap yet. Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark did some pretty bad things (a number of off the books side contracts with players like Steve Young and Jerry for one) that actually cost the franchise draft picks in 2002 and Policy and Clark were suspended for 4 games from Cleveland for the violations.

Eddie is still a winner and would not still be mired in this disaster - he would have regrouped and found a way to put a winner on the field.

lol how do you figure? There's free agency and a salary cap now, it's totally different than when he was an owner. And in the end, he's just an owner; he didn't win us 5 Super Bowls, the coaches and players did.

This whole thread is stupid.
Originally posted by BHulman:

That is a good point - Eddie was great but had not adapted well to the salary cap yet. Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark did some pretty bad things (a number of off the books side contracts with players like Steve Young and Jerry for one) that actually cost the franchise draft picks in 2002 and Policy and Clark were suspended for 4 games from Cleveland for the violations.

Eddie is still a winner and would not still be mired in this disaster - he would have regrouped and found a way to put a winner on the field.

We are long since out of the salary cap problems. The 49ers of 2010 have no cap problems at all. Not sure why people make this an issue. It is not.
Jabuke - Eddie will adapt and find a way he is to competitive and smart - also remember the Cap as we now it is GONE and it will not be coming back anytime soon it will be much softer in the new agreement.

The Difference between the Yorks and Eddie is simple - he cares about winning that is all he cares about - the Yorks care about making themselves more money and letting Jed have his little toy - They don't like the city never have and could care less about the franchise.

The York's are worse owner than the Bidwell and that is saying something.
Jabuke - Eddie will adapt and find a way he is to competitive and smart - also remember the Cap as we now it is GONE and it will not be coming back anytime soon it will be much softer in the new agreement.

The Difference between the Yorks and Eddie is simple - he cares about winning that is all he cares about - the Yorks care about making themselves more money and letting Jed have his little toy - They don't like the city never have and could care less about the franchise.

The York's are worse owner than the Bidwell and that is saying something.
Share 49ersWebzone