There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Originally posted by Shaj:
We have a good defense, but it also got some of their stats in bunches against bad teams. We are not as good as our ranking last year, but we are still pretty good. I think Haralson needs to get bumped for Brooks though. I'm not totally sold on Sopoaga either. If all we need him to do is hold the line of attack, I guess he's doing his job, but we are getting a lot more production out of his counterpart, Justin Smith.

The funny thing is, if we could have hired and kept Nolan as our DEFENSIVE coach, we'd be even better. It turns out he is a really good defensive coach. I always thought he was in the right place at the right time with Baltimore, but it looks like he deserves some credit.

Its not funny at all Shaj. I don't want Mike Nolan anywhere near this football team.
If I could have a football team restraining order it would be to Mike Nolan to stay away...stay far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

As bad as he was (and I woudln't want him as a HC again), he was better than Sing. At least he understood some part of how to game plan and make adjustments. He also has done very, very well as a DC before and after his niner stints. I think if Alex had played lights out from his rookie year, Nolan would still be our coach though.

True, but I still wouldn't want him anywhere near this football team.

By the way, when you say Alex had played lights out his rookie year. He did play lights out. Well...more like he played like the lights were off and he was throwing in the dark because he really didn't hit too many receievers that year, only DBs.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 585
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
For how many years are going to keep saying this defense is good ? They never stop a good passing team, never get any pass rush on the opposing qb, and THEY CANT EVER STOP A TEAM IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, EVER.

This defense has let us down, time after time, after time. Everybody loves Willis, but the brother cant even recognize a simply screen pass play. The heat needs to be put on the defensive players and Manusky, his job should not be safe either. They dont produce in the future, send them all home.

Relax...the defense has been, could be and probably will be better. It certainly has not been as bad as you make out. The pass rush could be more consistent but they were tied for 3rd in sacks last year with 44. They have stopped teams in games where the offense was of little help and the defense kept them in or won the game (e.g. Indy and the Bears last year). They have had good games against passing teams (e.g. Indy and the Cardinals twice last year, Saints this year). By yards, they were in the top 10 of defenses last year and they gave up the least number of points in the division. They're also generally a young defense that should get better as some of the older players are transitioned out for the younger players (e.g. Bowman, Mays)

With that said, there are deficiencies that seem to repeat themselves....

Defending screen passes was a problem that hurt them last year and has again this year.

This is clearly a different defense at home. They play faster, have fewer mistakes, etc. They just don't seem to play the same on the road or be able to stop a team's momentum as well as they do at home.

The sacks and turnovers seem to come in bunches.

One would like to see them be more consistent. Against Seattle, they dominated the first quarter and a half and then it snowballed on them. KC was only 10-3 at halftime with little help from the offense but then it snowballed again.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Originally posted by Shaj:
We have a good defense, but it also got some of their stats in bunches against bad teams. We are not as good as our ranking last year, but we are still pretty good. I think Haralson needs to get bumped for Brooks though. I'm not totally sold on Sopoaga either. If all we need him to do is hold the line of attack, I guess he's doing his job, but we are getting a lot more production out of his counterpart, Justin Smith.

The funny thing is, if we could have hired and kept Nolan as our DEFENSIVE coach, we'd be even better. It turns out he is a really good defensive coach. I always thought he was in the right place at the right time with Baltimore, but it looks like he deserves some credit.

Its not funny at all Shaj. I don't want Mike Nolan anywhere near this football team.
If I could have a football team restraining order it would be to Mike Nolan to stay away...stay far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

As bad as he was (and I woudln't want him as a HC again), he was better than Sing. At least he understood some part of how to game plan and make adjustments. He also has done very, very well as a DC before and after his niner stints. I think if Alex had played lights out from his rookie year, Nolan would still be our coach though.

It's because of him that we are in this mess are you forgetting? He chose Smith over Rodgers, didn't choose Cameron when he had the opportunity and acted like a know it all and was smug. NO THANK YOU TO NOLAN.
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Wake up people. The defense sucks and Willis is overrated. Hes not Ray Lewis.

you're right he's better
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Ladies and Germs:

A moment of silence please for nyc49erking. He will not be creating any new posts.

He has been BANNED from the BOARD.

This is his last surviving thread -- his work on display.

Let the mourning commence.

nyc49erking, we hardly knew ya...

why was he banned????
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,733
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Originally posted by Shaj:
We have a good defense, but it also got some of their stats in bunches against bad teams. We are not as good as our ranking last year, but we are still pretty good. I think Haralson needs to get bumped for Brooks though. I'm not totally sold on Sopoaga either. If all we need him to do is hold the line of attack, I guess he's doing his job, but we are getting a lot more production out of his counterpart, Justin Smith.

The funny thing is, if we could have hired and kept Nolan as our DEFENSIVE coach, we'd be even better. It turns out he is a really good defensive coach. I always thought he was in the right place at the right time with Baltimore, but it looks like he deserves some credit.

Its not funny at all Shaj. I don't want Mike Nolan anywhere near this football team.
If I could have a football team restraining order it would be to Mike Nolan to stay away...stay far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

As bad as he was (and I woudln't want him as a HC again), he was better than Sing. At least he understood some part of how to game plan and make adjustments. He also has done very, very well as a DC before and after his niner stints. I think if Alex had played lights out from his rookie year, Nolan would still be our coach though.

It's because of him that we are in this mess are you forgetting? He chose Smith over Rodgers, didn't choose Cameron when he had the opportunity and acted like a know it all and was smug. NO THANK YOU TO NOLAN.

yeah, he messed up that decision and he was smug. That's why I wouldn't want him as HC again. But he is a good DC is all I am saying. That much is pretty much clear.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Ladies and Germs:

A moment of silence please for nyc49erking. He will not be creating any new posts.

He has been BANNED from the BOARD.

This is his last surviving thread -- his work on display.

Let the mourning commence.

nyc49erking, we hardly knew ya...

why was he banned????

He was the KING of starting idiotic threads. I think he got warned multiple times to stop making a new thread every time a new idea popped into his head -- but my thinking is he ignored them.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Ladies and Germs:

A moment of silence please for nyc49erking. He will not be creating any new posts.

He has been BANNED from the BOARD.

This is his last surviving thread -- his work on display.

Let the mourning commence.

nyc49erking, we hardly knew ya...



Buh Bye . . . . . . I can't believe Patrick Willis survived his onslaught.
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
For how many years are going to keep saying this defense is good ? They never stop a good passing team, never get any pass rush on the opposing qb, and THEY CANT EVER STOP A TEAM IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, EVER.

This defense has let us down, time after time, after time. Everybody loves Willis, but the brother cant even recognize a simply screen pass play. The heat needs to be put on the defensive players and Manusky, his job should not be safe either. They dont produce in the future, send them all home.

Relax...the defense has been, could be and probably will be better. It certainly has not been as bad as you make out. The pass rush could be more consistent but they were tied for 3rd in sacks last year with 44. They have stopped teams in games where the offense was of little help and the defense kept them in or won the game (e.g. Indy and the Bears last year). They have had good games against passing teams (e.g. Indy and the Cardinals twice last year, Saints this year). By yards, they were in the top 10 of defenses last year and they gave up the least number of points in the division. They're also generally a young defense that should get better as some of the older players are transitioned out for the younger players (e.g. Bowman, Mays)

With that said, there are deficiencies that seem to repeat themselves....

Defending screen passes was a problem that hurt them last year and has again this year.

This is clearly a different defense at home. They play faster, have fewer mistakes, etc. They just don't seem to play the same on the road or be able to stop a team's momentum as well as they do at home.

The sacks and turnovers seem to come in bunches.

One would like to see them be more consistent. Against Seattle, they dominated the first quarter and a half and then it snowballed on them. KC was only 10-3 at halftime with little help from the offense but then it snowballed again.
So I'm all done talking about the offense for this week.

What I don't understand is; where is this "tough guy" defense that was supposed to smack people in the mouth?

Teams have learned the 49ers try to shield blockers away from Willis so he can make tackles. So they run screens and picks so he can't pursue and Manusky has not countered with anything to take advantage of that. The 49er defense lacks speed and when Willis gets screened off the play, no one steps up to make plays. Clements was the leading tackler in KC. That fact alone should tell us a lot. Anytime a corner back is you leading tackler you are going to lose...BIG!

Justin Smith is the only guy that has played with any consistency in the front line. Franklin has not had the same impact he had last year and Sopoaga has been inconsistent as well. Ray McDonald isn't seeing the field as much as he had last year and that is a problem because he does get some push on the passer.

This team STILL needs a pass rusher or a scheme that puts pressure on the QB. Seattle killed the 49ers with blitz packages but Sing/Manusky apparently didn't learn anything from them because they put little pressure on Cassel. If you don't have stud pass rushers, you have to do it with scheme...and that isn't happening.

If the defense had done its job on NO's final drive, this team would be 1-2 and the mood would be much better...but they didn't. Singletary and Manusky should be getting as much heat about the defense as he got about the offense. As bad as the offense has been, it was good enough to have won one game. The defense lost the NO game and got blown out in the other two.

Where is the vinegar about the defense? Alex Smith doesn't play defense. We can't blame him. Who takes the heat for the worst defense in the league?
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM ]
the defense needs to get out of what ever type of zone they are running. Not putting any pressure on the QB+running a zone(and a bad one at that)= getting picked apart all game. It seems like the other receivers are constantly WIDE open. Not to mention our weak ability to stop any screen pass.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
For how many years are going to keep saying this defense is good ? They never stop a good passing team, never get any pass rush on the opposing qb, and THEY CANT EVER STOP A TEAM IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, EVER.

This defense has let us down, time after time, after time. Everybody loves Willis, but the brother cant even recognize a simply screen pass play. The heat needs to be put on the defensive players and Manusky, his job should not be safe either. They dont produce in the future, send them all home.

Relax...the defense has been, could be and probably will be better. It certainly has not been as bad as you make out. The pass rush could be more consistent but they were tied for 3rd in sacks last year with 44. They have stopped teams in games where the offense was of little help and the defense kept them in or won the game (e.g. Indy and the Bears last year). They have had good games against passing teams (e.g. Indy and the Cardinals twice last year, Saints this year). By yards, they were in the top 10 of defenses last year and they gave up the least number of points in the division. They're also generally a young defense that should get better as some of the older players are transitioned out for the younger players (e.g. Bowman, Mays)

With that said, there are deficiencies that seem to repeat themselves....

Defending screen passes was a problem that hurt them last year and has again this year.

This is clearly a different defense at home. They play faster, have fewer mistakes, etc. They just don't seem to play the same on the road or be able to stop a team's momentum as well as they do at home.

The sacks and turnovers seem to come in bunches.

One would like to see them be more consistent. Against Seattle, they dominated the first quarter and a half and then it snowballed on them. KC was only 10-3 at halftime with little help from the offense but then it snowballed again.
So I'm all done talking about the offense for this week.

What I don't understand is; where is this "tough guy" defense that was supposed to smack people in the mouth?

Teams have learned the 49ers try to shield blockers away from Willis so he can make tackles. So they run screens and picks so he can't pursue and Manusky has not countered with anything to take advantage of that. The 49er defense lacks speed and when Willis gets screened off the play, no one steps up to make plays. Clements was the leading tackler in KC. That fact alone should tell us a lot. Anytime a corner back is you leading tackler you are going to lose...BIG!

Justin Smith is the only guy that has played with any consistency in the front line. Franklin has not had the same impact he had last year and Sopoaga has been inconsistent as well. Ray McDonald isn't seeing the field as much as he had last year and that is a problem because he does get some push on the passer.

This team STILL needs a pass rusher or a scheme that puts pressure on the QB. Seattle killed the 49ers with blitz packages but Sing/Manusky apparently didn't learn anything from them because they put little pressure on Cassel. If you don't have stud pass rushers, you have to do it with scheme...and that isn't happening.

If the defense had done its job on NO's final drive, this team would be 1-2 and the mood would be much better...but they didn't. Singletary and Manusky should be getting as much heat about the defense as he got about the offense. As bad as the offense has been, it was good enough to have won one game. The defense lost the NO game and got blown out in the other two.

Where is the vinegar about the defense? Alex Smith doesn't play defense. We can't blame him. Who takes the heat for the worst defense in the league?

I don't have an explanation but I'm a firm believer that if the offense plays well, it inspires the defense.

As far as the NO game, the defense played exceptionally well, and Drew Brees game winning drive wouldn't have happened if the Niners didnt turn the ball over so many times, that NO game should've been won by a huge margin.
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM ]
I'm that no one on here has been talking about how much better clements has been, besides one play against seattle the dude has been amazing. He was all over the field against k.c and even had more tackles than willis.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
For how many years are going to keep saying this defense is good ? They never stop a good passing team, never get any pass rush on the opposing qb, and THEY CANT EVER STOP A TEAM IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, EVER.

This defense has let us down, time after time, after time. Everybody loves Willis, but the brother cant even recognize a simply screen pass play. The heat needs to be put on the defensive players and Manusky, his job should not be safe either. They dont produce in the future, send them all home.

Relax...the defense has been, could be and probably will be better. It certainly has not been as bad as you make out. The pass rush could be more consistent but they were tied for 3rd in sacks last year with 44. They have stopped teams in games where the offense was of little help and the defense kept them in or won the game (e.g. Indy and the Bears last year). They have had good games against passing teams (e.g. Indy and the Cardinals twice last year, Saints this year). By yards, they were in the top 10 of defenses last year and they gave up the least number of points in the division. They're also generally a young defense that should get better as some of the older players are transitioned out for the younger players (e.g. Bowman, Mays)

With that said, there are deficiencies that seem to repeat themselves....

Defending screen passes was a problem that hurt them last year and has again this year.

This is clearly a different defense at home. They play faster, have fewer mistakes, etc. They just don't seem to play the same on the road or be able to stop a team's momentum as well as they do at home.

The sacks and turnovers seem to come in bunches.

One would like to see them be more consistent. Against Seattle, they dominated the first quarter and a half and then it snowballed on them. KC was only 10-3 at halftime with little help from the offense but then it snowballed again.
So I'm all done talking about the offense for this week.

What I don't understand is; where is this "tough guy" defense that was supposed to smack people in the mouth?

Teams have learned the 49ers try to shield blockers away from Willis so he can make tackles. So they run screens and picks so he can't pursue and Manusky has not countered with anything to take advantage of that. The 49er defense lacks speed and when Willis gets screened off the play, no one steps up to make plays. Clements was the leading tackler in KC. That fact alone should tell us a lot. Anytime a corner back is you leading tackler you are going to lose...BIG!

Justin Smith is the only guy that has played with any consistency in the front line. Franklin has not had the same impact he had last year and Sopoaga has been inconsistent as well. Ray McDonald isn't seeing the field as much as he had last year and that is a problem because he does get some push on the passer.

This team STILL needs a pass rusher or a scheme that puts pressure on the QB. Seattle killed the 49ers with blitz packages but Sing/Manusky apparently didn't learn anything from them because they put little pressure on Cassel. If you don't have stud pass rushers, you have to do it with scheme...and that isn't happening.

If the defense had done its job on NO's final drive, this team would be 1-2 and the mood would be much better...but they didn't. Singletary and Manusky should be getting as much heat about the defense as he got about the offense. As bad as the offense has been, it was good enough to have won one game. The defense lost the NO game and got blown out in the other two.

Where is the vinegar about the defense? Alex Smith doesn't play defense. We can't blame him. Who takes the heat for the worst defense in the league?

I don't have an explanation but I'm a firm believer that if the offense plays well, it inspires the defense.

As far as the NO game, the defense played exceptionally well, and Drew Brees game winning drive wouldn't have happened if the Niners didnt turn the ball over so many times, that NO game should've been won by a huge margin.
It is true that one side of the ball can inspire the other, and to the extent that DOES influence the team, the defense should have been totally fired up by the offense at the end of the NO game. The offense had just driven the length of the field on one of the very best drives of the last five years. Yet that apparently didn't have any impact as the defense just went to sleep on some very predictable plays.

The defense had just had a nice rest and they came back on the field and couldn't do the job. Sorry, I cannot lay that one on the offense. Up to that point, Brees and his offense had done no better than Smith and his offense. It was an even game until the defense let it slip away.
If the offense does well the defense plays better because it REDUCES THE OPTIONS for our opponent

If your offense is moving the ball and you have a lead you can start focusing on nothing but the passing game.

A one dimensional offense is always at a disadvantage. That is why we all hate Jimmy "dive" Raye. We don't force defenses to play honest and they cream us for it.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
If the offense does well the defense plays better because it REDUCES THE OPTIONS for our opponent

If your offense is moving the ball and you have a lead you can start focusing on nothing but the passing game.

A one dimensional offense is always at a disadvantage. That is why we all hate Jimmy "dive" Raye. We don't force defenses to play honest and they cream us for it.

All that is true but the 49er defense stunk it up from the very beginning of the KC game. Where is the "impose our will" mantra for the defense? Singletary talked about being able to win games if the offense only scored 17 points. Well, on that standard, the team is still 0-3. The defense hasn't done its job in any of the three games.