LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 350 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That's the thing that i never understood. Almost every time the game is on the line we go into a Zone defense and rush 3 and the QB's have all day to throw. They should always send at least 5.
Originally posted by Reckless:
One thing I have noticed with Manusky is that he usually doesn't do the same blitzes twice in a game. If you guys remember in the Saints game, we sent Willis up the center and he was unstoppable. Yet, I don't think I have seen him blitz since.

And not only that we are doing extremely vanilla blitz packages. The "my guy will beat your guy" mentallity won't always work. Manusky will blitz Clements/Mays on the run by why not passing downs?

When we flip guys around we are insanely effective(see Smiths 2 sacks/Lawson strip sack)...why does he shy away from this?

Agree,
we need more CB blitzes, keep the QB guessing
  • ihab
  • Veteran
Actually, Willis did blitz up the middle in yesterdays game, and he got blown up by the running back. Go Re-watch the game. It was in the second half.
Don't worry, Niners D is going to be saved!

Adam_Schefter Adam Schefter
SF claimed LB Thaddeus Gibson on waivers from the Steelers.
Originally posted by ihab:
Actually, Willis did blitz up the middle in yesterdays game, and he got blown up by the running back. Go Re-watch the game. It was in the second half.

Yea I saw Willis get blown up too. That was only one play though. He was a beast the rest of the game.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Agree,
we need more CB blitzes, keep the QB guessing

Matt Moore burned Mays on a corner blitz at the end of the Panthers game.

I just don't know what is wrong with our pass rush any more. What the f**k is up with our rushers not being able to bring down a damn quarterback? Orton may be the most pathetic QB scrambling that I've ever seen, but somehow they kept letting him escape to make throws. The only thing more frustrating about watching this team is seeing Moran Norris in the backfield and knowing we're going to run Power O.

Why can't our rushers take down even a wimpy QB?

Lawson spearing Orton may have been my favorite play of the game, just for that reason.

Am I alone on this?
Originally posted by XAnGeLicDiAbLoX:
That's the thing that i never understood. Almost every time the game is on the line we go into a Zone defense and rush 3 and the QB's have all day to throw. They should always send at least 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VfqpCvpGg

I agree, and they finally sent a blitz on the last defensive play of the game.
One thing I have noticed with Manusky is that he usually doesn't do the same blitzes twice in a game. If you guys remember in the Saints game, we sent Willis up the center and he was unstoppable. Yet, I don't think I have seen him blitz since.

And not only that we are doing extremely vanilla blitz packages. The "my guy will beat your guy" mentallity won't always work. Manusky will blitz Clements/Mays on the run by why not passing downs?

When we flip guys around we are insanely effective(see Smiths 2 sacks/Lawson strip sack)...why does he shy away from this?

Good call on the CB blitzes, it's the one package that has consistently worked for us this season. I know a lot of guys like to dog Nate Clements, but there's no denying that the fellow knows how to tackle in the open field and he still has more than enough quickness to make the blitz work.

Also, good call about flipping the line. Anything we can do to break Smith free from multiple coverages is a good thing. I saw him jammed up in tripple coverage at least four times yesterday. That's just silly, especially when you consider that Denver's LT was the second coming of the Boston Strangler--couldn't they have at least called illegal use of hands to the face?

Last, they are sending Willis with some frequency, but they're doing it almost exclusively on delay blitzes and he's simply disappearing into line of scrimage. I don't recall seeing Willis looming over the inside gaps like he has in past seasons, nor have we been trying to anticipate the snap count. We're also sending plenty of dog blitzes, but they're simply getting picked up and shoved off into space. In my estimation we're suffering from passivity up the middle and a serious lack of speed at OLB. I'm not sure if I'm right about that, but I am certain that what we're doing isn't working.

Nice post, it was an interesting read and fun to mull over.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Good call on the CB blitzes, it's the one package that has consistently worked for us this season. I know a lot of guys like to dog Nate Clements, but there's no denying that the fellow knows how to tackle in the open field and he still has more than enough quickness to make the blitz work.

Also, good call about flipping the line. Anything we can do to break Smith free from multiple coverages is a good thing. I saw him jammed up in tripple coverage at least four times yesterday. That's just silly, especially when you consider that Denver's LT was the second coming of the Boston Strangler--couldn't they have at least called illegal use of hands to the face?

Last, they are sending Willis with some frequency, but they're doing it almost exclusively on delay blitzes and he's simply disappearing into line of scrimage. I don't recall seeing Willis looming over the inside gaps like he has in past seasons, nor have we been trying to anticipate the snap count. We're also sending plenty of dog blitzes, but they're simply getting picked up and shoved off into space. In my estimation we're suffering from passivity up the middle and a serious lack of speed at OLB. I'm not sure if I'm right about that, but I am certain that what we're doing isn't working.

Nice post, it was an interesting read and fun to mull over.

Agree. I hate how our OLB's just run around the QB & does not try to spin or dip & go straight at the QB. We just keep running 5 or more yards behind the QB
Singletary is obsessed with running the ball and stopping the run. Denver barely ran the ball and their playaction fakes worked as if they were getting 7 yards a carry. And our play actions don't fool anyone because the entire league knows amteam that runs the ball a lot won't score much except for Singletary.

So I doubt there is but do we have a logical explanation as to why we dont use stunts to blitz??? They seem to work
Any one else ever wonder why QB's like Matt Moore look like Peyton Manning against our D? I even said before the Niner and Panther game that Matt Moore would throw for over 300 yards and thats exactly what happend.. also,every time an opposing team plays our team, some one on the opposing team always has some kind of a "career day". Anyone else ever notice that?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
So I doubt there is but do we have a logical explanation as to why we dont use stunts to blitz??? They seem to work

Yes. They. Do.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Yes. They. Do.

Thats one of the FEW plays Im referring too

We hardly use them
We actually do run quite a lot of stunts.

I'll admit, I struggle to notice them happening until I watch the games back.
Share 49ersWebzone