Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TRUCKRATHMAN:
guys, i respect everyones opinion here and i really dont care to get too involved in taking sides and arguing. with that said, id just like to say what i gotta say and move on...

i believe Alex sure does need more swag...but how can he really earn it when hes constantly being undermined by inferior coaching year after year?

i remember steve bono and elvis grbac not doing too bad when called upon because we had real coaching back then...i see alex as a huge upgrade over those two, physically and mentally....

just confirms my greatest fear that this organization is really lost!

You know what's funny? Jimmy Raye actually got them to look good on offense. Something he couldn't do with Alex unless he threw out the playbook and went with the spread offense while restricting gore to draws and traps.

What makes you thin alex is an upgrade? Would J Russell be an upgrade over those 2? Rick Mirer? Heath Shuler? Tim Couch? Talent and intelligence mean squat if you don't have the mental toughness to perform when the lights are on and/or persevere through adversity or if you don't have the adaptability to adjust to any system besides the spread and/or adjust to new WRs regardless if they have been hurt through the preseason.

You talk a pretty good game for someone that has never taken a snap in the NFL. So tell me,how the hell do you know what it takes? You want mental toughness, try playing QB in the NFL behind a bad line with your collar bone completely disconnected from your body. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about if you question the guys toughness. Just another disgruntled fan with a myopic, misguided opinion. The problems with this team go well beyond the QB. As far as receivers being hurt through the preseason, if you do not understand chemistry, well, just ask Bret Favre about it.

First, I want to clarify that I did not say that Alex Smith wasn't tough. I am sure he can take a hit just as well as the next guy and get back up and ask for some more. That all fine and good. The mental toughness I was referring to was being able to stay clam when the pocket is collapsing around you. Being able to make good decisions in adverse situations. Being clutch. That is what Alex is not. He has had his moments like against NO and a few years ago against Seattle. But other than that I haven't seen that in him to the extent that I saw it in the aforementioned Bono and Grbac even though they were less talented like the previous poster claimed.

Second, you are right that I never played QB in the NFL but that doesn't mean that I can't form an opinion on what a NFL QB should look like. BTW, do me a favor and make a list of some of the best QB coaches of all time. I bet you will find many if not the majority of that list consists of people who have never played QB in the NFL. How could they develop so many QBs the way they did without playing it themselves? Maybe, just maybe you CAN recognize qualities that NFL QBs should have without being one yourself! Maybe, just maybe that even though Alex can throw the ball better than I ever did and ever will be able to (Maybe not on his worst days! ) I am still able to recognize that he doesn't have what it takes to lead this team back to the Super Bowl. Or maybe your right and Joe and Steve and the aforementioned Bono and Grbac are the only ones who should be posting in this thread and the previous poster who I was responding to should have never dared to even talk about Bono and Grbac in that way as well.

Thirdly, you bring up this season's Brett Favre as you proof for chemistry when he is 41 yrs old and didn't go to training camp. What about the younger Brett Favre who lost his favorite WR in Sterling Sharpe and transitioned to Freeman and Brooks just fine. What about the year they won the Super Bowl where they lose Brooks for the season and sign Andre Rison mid season and he was a key part of that team and a key part of them winning the Super Bowl. Yeah why don't you ask Brett Favre about how a professional QB need to be able to adjust to new WRs. BTW, Peyton Manning threw a TD to a kid who was an undrafted FA rookie this past week and did the same thing last year with Collie. Why don't you as him about chemistry?

Finally, you said, "The problems with this team go well beyond the QB." You talk a big game for someone who ha never been on an NFL team before. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about if you want try to diagnose a team's problems. Just another disgruntled fan with a myopic, misguided opinion!

Good rebuttal. Alex Smith still sucks.

all those players have been in teh same system for at least 5 years in manning and favres base maybe even 8 to 10 the playbook doesnt change so chemistry is not needed

But look at the Rams and Bradford. First year in the Rams system and he has 4 TDs to Smiths 2. Same amt of int's at 5 and sacked 6 times each. I wish it weren't true but Alex just doesn't get it. Bad playcalling, bad O line certainly don't help, but when a mans wide open and when he does have time, Smith still can't hit him in the numbers. And forget about leading a WR. Even a talented rookie without any system can do that .Smith? never seen it.

bradford was a 1000000x better prospect than smith was and also i would like to mention that bradford is playing in the spread offense there the rams are playing to his strengths

alex did good last year in spread like what the rams are doing we should play to the qbs strengths

On a side note...I think it's interesting that today int he NFL...when they draft these spread offense QBs/players...the team will CHANGE THEIR offense to cater to their player. I feel like 5-10 years ago, teams would "force" players to adjust and learn to play QB the "good ol fashion" way.

Just makes you wonder what Smith, and basically our team, would be like had we spread things out back in 05 or 06 similarly to what the Rams are doing.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
guys, i respect everyones opinion here and i really dont care to get too involved in taking sides and arguing. with that said, id just like to say what i gotta say and move on...

i believe Alex sure does need more swag...but how can he really earn it when hes constantly being undermined by inferior coaching year after year?

i remember steve bono and elvis grbac not doing too bad when called upon because we had real coaching back then...i see alex as a huge upgrade over those two, physically and mentally....

You know what's funny? Jimmy Raye actually got them to look good on offense. Something he couldn't do with Alex unless he threw out the playbook and went with the spread offense while restricting gore to draws and traps.

What makes you thin alex is an upgrade? Would J Russell be an upgrade over those 2? Rick Mirer? Heath Shuler? Tim Couch? Talent and intelligence mean squat if you don't have the mental toughness to perform when the lights are on and/or persevere through adversity or if you don't have the adaptability to adjust to any system besides the spread and/or adjust to new WRs regardless if they have been hurt through the preseason.

You talk a pretty good game for someone that has never taken a snap in the NFL. So tell me,how the hell do you know what it takes? You want mental toughness, try playing QB in the NFL behind a bad line with your collar bone completely disconnected from your body. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about if you question the guys toughness. Just another disgruntled fan with a myopic, misguided opinion. The problems with this team go well beyond the QB. As far as receivers being hurt through the preseason, if you do not understand chemistry, well, just ask Bret Favre about it.

First, I want to clarify that I did not say that Alex Smith wasn't tough. I am sure he can take a hit just as well as the next guy and get back up and ask for some more. That all fine and good. The mental toughness I was referring to was being able to stay clam when the pocket is collapsing around you. Being able to make good decisions in adverse situations. Being clutch. That is what Alex is not. He has had his moments like against NO and a few years ago against Seattle. But other than that I haven't seen that in him to the extent that I saw it in the aforementioned Bono and Grbac even though they were less talented like the previous poster claimed.

Second, you are right that I never played QB in the NFL but that doesn't mean that I can't form an opinion on what a NFL QB should look like. BTW, do me a favor and make a list of some of the best QB coaches of all time. I bet you will find many if not the majority of that list consists of people who have never played QB in the NFL. How could they develop so many QBs the way they did without playing it themselves? Maybe, just maybe you CAN recognize qualities that NFL QBs should have without being one yourself! Maybe, just maybe that even though Alex can throw the ball better than I ever did and ever will be able to (Maybe not on his worst days! ) I am still able to recognize that he doesn't have what it takes to lead this team back to the Super Bowl. Or maybe your right and Joe and Steve and the aforementioned Bono and Grbac are the only ones who should be posting in this thread and the previous poster who I was responding to should have never dared to even talk about Bono and Grbac in that way as well.

Thirdly, you bring up this season's Brett Favre as you proof for chemistry when he is 41 yrs old and didn't go to training camp. What about the younger Brett Favre who lost his favorite WR in Sterling Sharpe and transitioned to Freeman and Brooks just fine. What about the year they won the Super Bowl where they lose Brooks for the season and sign Andre Rison mid season and he was a key part of that team and a key part of them winning the Super Bowl. Yeah why don't you ask Brett Favre about how a professional QB need to be able to adjust to new WRs. BTW, Peyton Manning threw a TD to a kid who was an undrafted FA rookie this past week and did the same thing last year with Collie. Why don't you as him about chemistry?

Finally, you said, "The problems with this team go well beyond the QB." You talk a big game for someone who ha never been on an NFL team before. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about if you want try to diagnose a team's problems. Just another disgruntled fan with a myopic, misguided opinion!

all those players have been in teh same system for at least 5 years in manning and favres base maybe even 8 to 10 the playbook doesnt change so chemistry is not needed

But look at the Rams and Bradford. First year in the Rams system and he has 4 TDs to Smiths 2. Same amt of int's at 5 and sacked 6 times each. I wish it weren't true but Alex just doesn't get it. Bad playcalling, bad O line certainly don't help, but when a mans wide open and when he does have time, Smith still can't hit him in the numbers. And forget about leading a WR. Even a talented rookie without any system can do that .Smith? never seen it.

bradford was a 1000000x better prospect than smith was and also i would like to mention that bradford is playing in the spread offense there the rams are playing to his strengths

alex did good last year in spread like what the rams are doing we should play to the qbs strengths

On a side note...I think it's interesting that today int he NFL...when they draft these spread offense QBs/players...the team will CHANGE THEIR offense to cater to their player. I feel like 5-10 years ago, teams would "force" players to adjust and learn to play QB the "good ol fashion" way.

Just makes you wonder what Smith, and basically our team, would be like had we spread things out back in 05 or 06 similarly to what the Rams are doing.

exactly it would make much more sense to let the qb play what he feels comforable with rather than changing his style
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I think he would be a lot further along as he would have learned from his f**k ups w/out pressure and probably made adjustments.

I've always maintained that the 2006 49ers were good enough to win the NFC West but we were held down by Smith/Norv Turner.

If you go back to that season, you'll see that we were letting Smith throw the ball down the field and making a lot of 15+ yard plays in the passing game.

Then after the KC/Chicago games, something happened to our offense. It got super conservative. Alex suffered from there.

Regardless, we're where we are now...and that's with a QB who's more dysfunctional than not. Time to either put up BIG TIME for Smith, or for us to move along.
Is this really what we're resorting to now...Alex needs swag? lol

He needs to stop playing so shwag and get it together, this is it buddy, put your heart out there and do your best and if its enough well...

Then we'll see you in January
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
he needs some street cred, maybe hang out with Ray Lewis, kill some people

Funniest post I've read on here in weeks. I actually laughed out loud.
16 wins 27 loses and counting .... Enuf said
Alex with no swag

Alex with swag

Originally posted by Leathaface:

So according to you, if we were to just replace the QB all the problems on this team would just go away? It doesn't take a former player to see that our offensive line is not playing well, our defense has some serious speed/awareness deficiencies, that receivers are tipping balls up in the air that hit them in the hands. I guess it is easier to place it on one player instead of using your brain power to understand the big picture. Everyone else on this team is an all star and Smith is the only thing holding us back...makes sense doesn't it?

Hypothetically, if you replaced Alex Smith with Drew Brees, how do you think we'd do?

Brees would be sacked often and also be rushing his throws.
he needs bigger hands
Share 49ersWebzone