There are 235 users in the forums

Coach Sing on the radio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FourNine49:
WOW.

It doesn't even matter what he woulda have said this morning, you guys were going to bash him either way.

If Sing would have said, "we will continue to be smashmouth, run, run, Fysical with an F" then you guys would have bashed him.

Now that he says he's going to be doing something different, and basically implying that his old philosphy was wrong, you guys still bash him. And for what? Just to say that he should have done this from the beginning? Just to say that whatever he does he will fail?

NT never ceases to amaze me.

100%
Originally posted by Born_Niner:
"we Will use our playmakers and be creative going forward" Coach Sing, just now on murph and mac ..I dont know about u, but thats music to my ears

I think the KC game was an eye opener for Coach Sing. He saw how KC put all their playmakers in position to make plays and all we did was use the same basic plays over and over again.
Didn't Sing state in his autobiography that his offensive philosphy was to "run the ball down their throats, and occasionally throw a deep pass for balance"? I'm paraphrasing but I think that's pretty close.

The guy is only getting "hated" on because he's an idiot. We have been having clock management and playcalling issues since he became HC. Then he fires Mike Martz, a SB-winning offensive coordinator who oversaw one of the greatest offenses of all-time, for...JIMMY RAYE. WORST MOVE EVER. The guy deserves all the flack he is getting.
Originally posted by WerschingMachine:
Singletary, when asked "what was it that Raye didn't do that got him fired" said " I would never put it all on one guy. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus."

Well, he sure didn't have a problem throwing Nate Davis under the bus. What a joke!

EXACTLY.

He also said "Jimmy Raye did everything I asked of him" ????

WTF?? So Jimmy Raye got fired for doing his job and following YOUR orders?
The only reason Jimmy Raye was hired in the beginning was he agreed to run the offense exactly how Singletary wanted him to. The same reason why Linehan turned down the job, and why Martz was let go, they refused to do it Sing's way.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Singletary, when asked "what was it that Raye didn't do that got him fired" said " I would never put it all on one guy. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus."

Well, he sure didn't have a problem throwing Nate Davis under the bus. What a joke!

EXACTLY.

The only reason Jimmy Raye was hired in the beginning was he agreed to run the offense exactly how Singletary wanted him to. The same reason why Linehan turned down the job, and why Martz was let go, they refused to do it Sing's way.

As usual...I think people are reading to much into his words.

I think he just wants to move on and doesn't want to slam Raye as he's walking out the door. He didn't want to discuss what Raye did wrong, but when he was talking about Johnson...it kinda became clear what he saw. He Said Johnson would allow Alex to run a bit more and that Johnson would do more to utilize ALL the weapons they had on offense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

EXACTLY.

I think he just wants to move on and doesn't want to slam Raye as he's walking out the door. He didn't want to discuss what Raye did wrong, but when he was talking about Johnson...it kinda became clear what he saw. He Said Johnson would allow Alex to run a bit more and that Johnson would do more to utilize ALL the weapons they had on offense.

I think it's safe to conclude that a 49er offense should never be left in the hands of a "HOF linebacker", and shriveled raisin.

EXACTLY.

Yep. Singletary is loyal... and he realized this specific loyalty was a fault. This is his ADMISSION of that. Another reason he was so depressed yesterday. He's ready to move forward. He's ready to change his thinking...

...we hope.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:

EXACTLY.

Yep. Singletary is loyal... and he realized this specific loyalty was a fault. This is his ADMISSION of that. Another reason he was so depressed yesterday. He's ready to move forward. He's ready to change his thinking......we hope.

That is fine, but when will he learn how to be a coach instead of a Motivational Speaker. He has never been a coordinator, he didn't know anything about game planing or managing a game and it shows. He was a LB coach, good at teaching LB's the craft. He isn't good at leading 53 men who play different positions.

EXACTLY.

So he also doesn't want to discuss what Alex Smith does wrong either then right? But he has no problem throwing Nate Davis or even Michael Crabtree under the bus.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by nyr49er:
What is wrong with some people on here? We are 2 and a half years into the Sing coaching experiment. Alright we are 0-3 right now. We are in a weak division that is definitely still winnable. Calling for Sing's head is not the right move. How about we actually see this thing through? We can talk playoff droughts all you want and I realize it has been awhile but lets just see it through.

I say we all take a chill pill, take the lumps, see what happens in a year or two. The NFL and sports in general today are such a "Win Now" atmosphere. I find it ridiculous that after a losing season or 2, not just us, but other fans in general call for a coach's head.

7-9 to 8-8. We are 0-3 right now but look at other long tenured coaches, they all had a rough season or two. It is much harder to go from 8-8 to 10+ wins then it is from 3-4 wins to 7-8 wins.
Sing was handed a 7-9 team and has kept it about the same.

A 7-9 team was not what Sing inherited, if anything it was much worse. He took a undisciplined, lost, non-motivated team and put a little fire and inspiration into them to give us some hope. The following year he achieved 8-8 which is pretty impressive considering our recent history since 2002. This year is a down year but that isnt to say it cannot turn around. From 0-3 to another 7-9 season or 8-8 Im sure would be deemed a failure but is it fire worthy? I dont think so.

Why cant this fan base have patience with this team, coach and management? Look at the Texans....perfect example of what PATIENCE can bring to you. I dont get why so many people want this and that person fired and this and that player replaced. We need some realistic expectations around here. We get so bent out of shape/excited over simple changes. Its no wonder we always set ourselves up for disappointment.

maybe I'm just a glass half empty type of guy

Originally posted by cortana49:

EXACTLY.

Yep. Singletary is loyal... and he realized this specific loyalty was a fault. This is his ADMISSION of that. Another reason he was so depressed yesterday. He's ready to move forward. He's ready to change his thinking......we hope.

That is fine, but when will he learn how to be a coach instead of a Motivational Speaker. He has never been a coordinator, he didn't know anything about game planing or managing a game and it shows. He was a LB coach, good at teaching LB's the craft. He isn't good at leading 53 men who play different positions.

Yeah, he's learning-on-the-job and doing it on thin ice. Will the front office make the same mistake if Singletary is fired?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
What is wrong with some people on here? We are 2 and a half years into the Sing coaching experiment. Alright we are 0-3 right now. We are in a weak division that is definitely still winnable. Calling for Sing's head is not the right move. How about we actually see this thing through? We can talk playoff droughts all you want and I realize it has been awhile but lets just see it through.

I say we all take a chill pill, take the lumps, see what happens in a year or two. The NFL and sports in general today are such a "Win Now" atmosphere. I find it ridiculous that after a losing season or 2, not just us, but other fans in general call for a coach's head.

7-9 to 8-8. We are 0-3 right now but look at other long tenured coaches, they all had a rough season or two. It is much harder to go from 8-8 to 10+ wins then it is from 3-4 wins to 7-8 wins.
Sing was handed a 7-9 team and has kept it about the same.

A 7-9 team was not what Sing inherited, if anything it was much worse. He took a undisciplined, lost, non-motivated team and put a little fire and inspiration into them to give us some hope. The following year he achieved 8-8 which is pretty impressive considering our recent history since 2002. This year is a down year but that isnt to say it cannot turn around. From 0-3 to another 7-9 season or 8-8 Im sure would be deemed a failure but is it fire worthy? I dont think so.

Why cant this fan base have patience with this team, coach and management? Look at the Texans....perfect example of what PATIENCE can bring to you. I dont get why so many people want this and that person fired and this and that player replaced. We need some realistic expectations around here. We get so bent out of shape/excited over simple changes. Its no wonder we always set ourselves up for disappointment.

maybe I'm just a glass half empty type of guy

The Texans came into the NFL in 2002. Since that time they have 51 wins through the first 3 games of this season, we have 50.
Originally posted by MBniner:
Originally posted by Born_Niner:
"we Will use our playmakers and be creative going forward" Coach Sing, just now on murph and mac ..I dont know about u, but thats music to my ears

Such crap. Why weren't they going to do this going into the season? Did they go into the season saying "we aren't going to be creative and not use our playmakers?" This means nothing without a real coach and OC.

we did it at the end of last season which is why alex and the team did so well
I wanted to see Raye gone... Didn't want him in the first place as I knew his history of usually leaving a teams offense in worse shape then he found it..

But here resides the main problem. And that problem is Singletary and his outdated philosophy in the context of offense. Eric Davis hit on this exactly on The Razor and Mr. T yesterday on KNBR... Jimmy Raye in his defense ran what Singletary asked him to run. So will it be the same with Mike Johnson. Will Mike Johnson get to run what he see's fit and would be successful, or will Coach Sing make him run what Coach Sing wants to run? If the later is the case, why make the change in OC in the first place? That would just make no sense....

And as dysfunctional as I have seen things, it wouldn't surprise me if the later is the case..............
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
What ever Sing did, the bad decisions, the bad-hires....we need to focus on what this team needs to get back on track and we only have a couple of games to do it or else the season is OVER. I hope Sing lets Johnson run the offense in favor of 60/40 pass. Defenses know Gore adn they've shut him down on the road. We need to throw a punch that their not used to.
Share 49ersWebzone