LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Coach Sing on the radio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FourNine49:
WOW.

It doesn't even matter what he woulda have said this morning, you guys were going to bash him either way.

If Sing would have said, "we will continue to be smashmouth, run, run, Fysical with an F" then you guys would have bashed him.

Now that he says he's going to be doing something different, and basically implying that his old philosphy was wrong, you guys still bash him. And for what? Just to say that he should have done this from the beginning? Just to say that whatever he does he will fail?

NT never ceases to amaze me.

My thoughts exactly. Singletary, even as he's basically admiting failure, still gets bashed for trying to do the right thing. That's NT for ya.
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by pd24:
No other coach in the NFL would change his philosophy on the fly in week 3 of the season.

So what would you do if you were in his shoes? Stick with what isn't working or try an alternative that has a better chance of working even though it wasn't your initial strategy?

well, the point is Singeltary should have been adapting to the modern game rather than running an archaic philosophy from the beginning.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
No other coach in the NFL would change his philosophy on the fly in week 3 of the season.

So what would you do if you were in his shoes? Stick with what isn't working or try an alternative that has a better chance of working even though it wasn't your initial strategy?

well, the point is Singeltary should have been adapting to the modern game rather than running an archaic philosophy from the beginning.

He's learned that lesson now, we hope. That's how I interpreted his demeanor during his presser yesterday. He's been humbled by his failure and is looking for what works. As a Niner fan, I can only hope it isn't too late for this season.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Have a game plan in place from the get go. Sing doesn't know anything about offense, so he wouldn't know how to fix it. He could have made a better hire at OC when he hired Raye. We had these problems last year and went more spread when Smith took over. He went into the offseason and told Raye that Mike Johnson would be helping him put the game plans together. That would have been a start, but what do I know, Im just a fan.
Originally posted by prometheus:
Hahaha When was Singletary impressive as guys like Butkus? Sure he was a brainless thumper but a Ray Lewis type? BS, this guy likes to write his own promo and it is full of balarney that he wants to impress people with. He is as fake as breast implants and tofu burgers. As he gets exposed his ass is even more hideous then those mandrill's big red butts. No wonder he dropped his pants. He wanted to impress folks. Well we will always remember how stupid he is and as incompetent as any big mouthed fake klutz could be. I think if the niners want some success with Mike Johnson they need to clear the decks and remove the stacked BS surrounding Singletary. Singletary unfortunately is the clown anointed by prince alarming to fornicate the fornyniners. The team needs the purging to be complete to grow and not continue process of turning s**t into mold.

Dude. Sing was the best MLB of his generation, hands down. You can hate on his coaching all you want, but the man was a f*cking nightmare as a player.

Have a game plan in place from the get go. Sing doesn't know anything about offense, so he wouldn't know how to fix it. He could have made a better hire at OC when he hired Raye. We had these problems last year and went more spread when Smith took over. He went into the offseason and told Raye that Mike Johnson would be helping him put the game plans together. That would have been a start, but what do I know, Im just a fan.

He could have made a better hire? I believe Raye was his fourth choice. The first 3 candidates turned down the job or went on for better promotions. This says there is 1 of 2 problems: 1) Sing's philosophy was unappealing to most OC candidates or 2) they really did not want to come to SF...

Yes, those are all great things from a hindsight perspective. He hired Raye because of his offensesive knowlege (current article on FOX Sports speaks to this) and leaned on that. I think he's now realized it ain't working, so he has decided to make a change 3 games into the season. Did you WANT him to keep doing things the same?
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Yes, those are all great things from a hindsight perspective. He hired Raye because of his offensesive knowlege (current article on FOX Sports speaks to this) and leaned on that. I think he's now realized it ain't working, so he has decided to make a change 3 games into the season. Did you WANT him to keep doing things the same?

But, most us average joe's knew it wasn't working last year. Then when they went to the spread and mixed it up a bit, we noticed that it was working, I don't think Sing noticed, because through the first 3 games he didn't tell the O cord to go to what worked last year.

But, most us average joe's knew it wasn't working last year. Then when they went to the spread and mixed it up a bit, we noticed that it was working, I don't think Sing noticed, because through the first 3 games he didn't tell the O cord to go to what worked last year.

Yes, that is disturbing that he didn't catch on to the spread formation successes. I hope he realizes his stubbornness will cost him his job if he keeps holding on to his "offensive philosophy" (pun intended!) He really needs to let Mike Johnson do his job.

He's learned that lesson now, we hope. That's how I interpreted his demeanor during his presser yesterday. He's been humbled by his failure and is looking for what works. As a Niner fan, I can only hope it isn't too late for this season.

but wait....is this exactly what happened last year????

after a while we started with the spread early in games, instead of after being down 21 points...it looked nice a couple of times of everytime Alex almost threw an INT or did throw an INT, we went back into our shell and tried to run it first and foremost....

then this season starts...and you would think that we would come out in what Alex would be "comfortable" in....but no same approach that wasn't working last year...

so now we are going back to the spread, again.

I'm sorry but yeah, Sing is done...there is a reason he doesn't want to go to the spread and that is because he doesn't trust Alex....but hey he put himself into this position, and put all his chips on Alex Smith....now we either watch Alex make a 180* turn, or watch Sing slowly lose his job.

• pd24
  • Veteran

Yes, that is disturbing that he didn't catch on to the spread formation successes. I hope he realizes his stubbornness will cost him his job if he keeps holding on to his "offensive philosophy" (pun intended!) He really needs to let Mike Johnson do his job.

Yes it is too bad that he was unprepared and has done a bad coaching job in the first 3 games of the season and he has us 2 games back in a bad division with 1 division loss already.
Singletary was an awesome MLB...he wasn't a mauler like Butkus, but he was just as effective. He had those big eyes...and they were all over the field before, during, and after the snap. He's a HOFer for all the right reasons...as a player. As a coach, he's got limited impact. By that I mean his idea of football is basically the '85 Bears, who were one of the great teams of that era. Problem is, that philosophy just doesn't work in today's NFL. He hired Raye because he felt Jimmy could deliver a team to play like his old Bears did. When it finally hit him he was wrong, he did the right thing and fired Raye. I give him credit for realizing he screwed up and promoting Mike Johnson. I think the results will vindicate him...but we won't know for a few games, anyway.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I know its been a while since we've seen success...but you guys are so jaded that you havent even listened to the man's words. He has said from day one that he wants balance...he wants to get everyone involved...but he also wanted his players to have the confidence to know they can move the football when they need to, run or pass.

Stop b*tching out of frustration and actually listen and comprehend what people are saying.

Sorry mods...but this constant word twisting really irks me.

Seeing is believing and nobody here saw him screaming about balance until now...

Thats total BS.

You are referring to the media rendition of Sing. He has said FROM THE BEGINNING that he wants an attacking, "F"ysical, BALANCED offense. Its us as fans interpreting that as run first and the media who keeps going back to the Bears teams he played for.

All Sing has ever said about running the ball was that he wanted to be able to run whenever the needed to so that defenses could not dictate that to them.

Sing has spent ALOT of time CORRECTING interviewers when they tell him he wants a run-first smash mouth offense. He ALWAYS corrects them and says he wants an attacking offense that attacks in the run game AND in the pass game.

Now, Jimmy Raye may not have been a good hire. To be honest tho, I think I understand what Sing was thinking. The Niners had just had Mad Mike Martz and Hostler before him...so he was looking for an experienced OC who wasn't calling 7 step drops when they couldn't protect the QB. They also didn't want a guy who would be here for a year and then leave...although thats kinda what happned anyway...lol.

The game has simply passed Jimmy bye. He know his stuff, but he was just too predictable. I don't mean too many runs tho. I mean the predictability of what the offense will do based on the formation.

Just because he was professing balance doesn't mean he achieved it...obviously. The run first mentality doesn't work in the NFL and he never realized that. Now it's probably too late. 0-3 is a huge hole to crawl out of.

Uhhhhhh...hey genius?? You think that could be the reason Raye got the pink slip??

Another day, another dumbass.
Singletary, when asked "what was it that Raye didn't do that got him fired" said " I would never put it all on one guy. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus."

Well, he sure didn't have a problem throwing Nate Davis under the bus. What a joke!
Originally posted by Afrikan:

but wait....is this exactly what happened last year????

That's why I said, "we hope" and pointed to his downtrodden demeanor.
It was his demeanor in the presser yesterday that makes me think he's actually going to change his thinking. Only time will tell.
Share 49ersWebzone