LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Building through the draft. Enough is enough.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There are no quick fixes at the QB position in free agency. Our best bet is to go the Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford route and draft the QB of the future next year. Guys like Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett are all top-tier prospects and could be guys to build around for the future.

You're right in that there is talent on this team, especially on the offensive side of the ball. So a rookie QB wouldn't be dealing with an empty cuboard...there's a lot to work with here, but you need the right QB and head coach. It all starts there.

1.) Bring in an offensive-minded HC (Harbaugh, Gruden, Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer, Mike Martz...oh wait). ;)
2.) Draft a rookie QB in the 1st
3.) Build an offensive powerhouse
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by valrod33:
We need to make the Walrus an offer he can't refuse. Smith and next years #1 for Vick... right now! Let Kolb start over there and Smith can be the backup. Such bulls**t because we could have gotten him for free. He was trying out for free for other teams. NO one wanted to take a chance on him. Must be the largest swing in value for a QB in the shortest amount of time I have seen ever.

if Vick plays like he has been playing for the whole year i really doubt the eagles would trade him. I donm thinkt they would trade Kolb either because Kolb is gonna be cheap next year, He got all his money upfront.

This is the QB you trade for...

kid can play no doubt

and the price might be surprisingly low...

Steeler fans supposedly don't like him much after the scandal stuff... there was some talk of getting rid of Ben during the offseason like they unloaded Santonio Holmes... also they are 3-0 without him

There u go Marv...

LOL...OK.....when Roethlisberger is actually available, we'll have this conversation again...lol. Until then, show me a guy who actually WILL be available.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There are no quick fixes at the QB position in free agency. Our best bet is to go the Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford route and draft the QB of the future next year. Guys like Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett are all top-tier prospects and could be guys to build around for the future.

You're right in that there is talent on this team, especially on the offensive side of the ball. So a rookie QB wouldn't be dealing with an empty cuboard...there's a lot to work with here, but you need the right QB and head coach. It all starts there.

1.) Bring in an offensive-minded HC (Harbaugh, Gruden, Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer, Mike Martz...oh wait). ;)

I agree with everything but the Martz and Gruden suggestion - Martz is poop and Gruden caught lightening in a bottle with Gannon but people seem to forget Chucky got fired in Tampa Bay for not being able to stablize and develop the QB position I think he is the last thing we need He took a SB winning team and turned them into a 4 win team in less than 3 years. Harbaugh - Sign me up.

Now if it is a choice between singletary and Chucky I will take Chucky any day of the week.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This. I mean, some of you guys are talking about McNabb who is struggling in DC with Shanahan. We need to draft Luck or Mallet (not a fan of Locker) and bring in a guy like Harbaugh. I don't like Gruden because I don't want a HC to become the face of our franchise anymore, plus too many of his players wanted him out of TB.

We seriously need to bring more speed to our offense. Either bring in a slot WR who is a threat to score or bring in a RB who can take it to the house. Basically, we need a McCluster type of player, who can take a short pass for big plays.
Originally posted by Sugatis:

I agree with everything but the Martz and Gruden suggestion - Martz is poop and Gruden caught lightening in a bottle with Gannon but people seem to forget Chucky got fired in Tampa Bay for not being able to stablize and develop the QB position I think he is the last thing we need He took a SB winning team and turned them into a 4 win team in less than 3 years. Harbaugh - Sign me up.

Now if it is a choice between singletary and Chucky I will take Chucky any day of the week.

Well...Chucky MAY have gotten lucky with Gannon, but he won a Super Bowl in Tampa.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Well...Chucky MAY have gotten lucky with Gannon, but he won a Super Bowl in Tampa.

With a Tony Dungy team. That team came up just a little bit short couple times before.

the thing is would you just throw the rookie out there or get a veteran qb to start for a year? Or at least to push him hard in camp.
We need to make the Walrus an offer he can't refuse. Smith and next years #1 for Vick... right now! Let Kolb start over there and Smith can be the backup. Such bulls**t because we could have gotten him for free. He was trying out for free for other teams. NO one wanted to take a chance on him. Must be the largest swing in value for a QB in the shortest amount of time I have seen ever.

if Vick plays like he has been playing for the whole year i really doubt the eagles would trade him. I donm thinkt they would trade Kolb either because Kolb is gonna be cheap next year, He got all his money upfront.

kid can play no doubt

Steeler fans supposedly don't like him much after the scandal stuff... there was some talk of getting rid of Ben during the offseason like they unloaded Santonio Holmes... also they are 3-0 without him

There u go Marv...

LOL...OK.....when Roethlisberger is actually available, we'll have this conversation again...lol. Until then, show me a guy who actually WILL be available.

If we offer a #1 pick I bet they'll listen...

Did you miss this article in the offseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5126094

"An NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Steelers have begun contacting teams about trading a top-10 pick for Roethlisberger. The Steelers have called the Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns"

We were rumored in the offseason to be a possible trade partner for Big Ben. Given Pittsburgh's success without him and his off-field issues I don't think he's unavailable.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM ]

Gruden detractors want to harp on his last few years at Tampa, but they forget the situation that organization was in. They went for broke when they signed Gruden, meaning they were without 1st round picks in 2002 and 2003, and without 2nd round picks in 2002 and 2004. Add to that the salary cap hell they had gotten themselves into by loading up for the 2002 Super Bowl run, they essentially had very little new talent coming in for almost 3 years after they won it all. No team can survive for too long without continuing to stockpile high-end talent.

The 4 win season of 2006 was a direct decision by management to clear the cap, take hits and begin to rebuild. Gruden was able to turn things around quickly, with back-to-back 9-7 seasons in 2007 (NFC South winners) and 2008.

IMO, Chucky has learned a lot being away from the game for a few years, and whoever gets him, will get a proven NFL winner and Super Bowl champion coach, and we haven't been able to say that since the late 90's.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM ]

kid can play no doubt

There u go Marv...

If we offer a #1 pick I bet they'll listen...

Did you miss this article in the offseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5126094

"An NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Steelers have begun contacting teams about trading a top-10 pick for Roethlisberger. The Steelers have called the Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns"

We were rumored in the offseason to be a possible trade partner for Big Ben. Given Pittsburgh's success without him and his off-field issues I don't think he's unavailable.

Ya....and he didn't get traded did he. If he were REALLY available, I think the Raiders, Bills, Jags, and Browns would have been ALL OVER that.

I don't believe that crap. You don't trade your franchise QB, especially when he has won you 2 Super Bowls.

• Mex49
Why is the first thing I think of after reading your title is Clements and $80 million dollars
Originally posted by lamontb:

the thing is would you just throw the rookie out there or get a veteran qb to start for a year? Or at least to push him hard in camp.

Depends on the QBs you get. Look at what Bradford is doing in St. Louis, and what Matt Ryan did in ATL, Sanchez in NY, etc., etc. If they have the right mental makeup/physical abilities, they can step in right away and compete. They won't win you a Super Bowl in their rookie year, but they'll gain invaluable experience which sets your team up nicely for the future (again, if they have the right mindset).

If they're a little slower to pick things up or they're not completely ready yet, you obviously put the vet in there first until the rookie is ready (like the Lions did with Stafford, like the Broncos did with Cutler a few years back).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM ]
It's still a good recipe for long-term success...but, you've got to draft the right players and have the right coaches to get them to a successful level. We've been spotty in both areas...questionable draft picks...passing on playmakers like DeSean Jackson, QB, etc. I think the '10 draft will prove to be a very good one...but, it takes time for the young players to mature. Using the draft as your baseline and augmenting w/FA's works...but again, you've got to make smart choices and not overpay, another area we could've done better in.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
What veteran QB's are available next year?

Matt Hasselsuck
Mike Vick
Kerry Collins
Chad Pennington
Billy Volek

but who needs a QB when we have.... Cpt. Checkdown

Wow, what an exciting bunch of qb's to build a team around? And please no Vick, I won't be able to watch a game with that piece of sh_t of a human being!
The organization is the problem. Not the draft. You can't draft well until you have a good organization.

~ They hire the right people.
~ They set the right authority limits.
~ They retain the good.
~ They get rid of the bad.
~ They get experienced people.
~ They get proven success.

Are you seeing that here?
Share 49ersWebzone