LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sing better be up all night watching video again!
The question now becomes....do you wait until the bye or does "operation obliterate smith" go into effect immediately.....?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frz80:
The question now becomes....do you wait until the bye or does "operation obliterate smith" go into effect immediately.....?

He's the starter until year end, no matter what happens, because as awful as he is, I think he is better than his backups. That's my sense.

Good question. I think (unfortunately) he will start next game. Too many people will focus on Clements and "forget" that if Smith didnt throw a critical pick we'd have won.

And to be honest...maybe Alex will play well next week. Home game. Nothing to lose, yada yada. But honestly...it doesnt matter. It's still inconsistent Alex. Just like today. Plays decent first quarter...1st half not too bad. Then implodes second half. It's a microcosm of his career.

We need to just move on. I like Alex. I supported him. I'll root for him as long as he's the starter...but the kid is just damaged goods. This organization has bungled his development and unfortunately its' WAY too little WAY too late. Any hope of salvaging his career went out of the window after the 08 season IMO. I think Smith will be a decent back up. I think he's a talented kid...but it just hasnt worked out in SF for him. He needs to be on a team where the talent is absolutely stacked, the coaches are championship coaches, and they have to run a spread offense. So basically, we need to trade Smith to Indy or New England for a 6th or 7th round pick while we can. Peyton and Tom aren't getting any younger. Alex...despite everything...has ONE thing going for him...he's still young.

Bottom line: Time for the Niners to move on...start over at QB. Draft a guy and DEVELOP HIM PROPERLY.
Originally posted by Shaj:

He's the starter until year end, no matter what happens, because as awful as he is, I think he is better than his backups. That's my sense.

true, but after today I never want to see him again. catch 22

that's why I don't see any point tuning into niner games until sing and smith are gone.
[ Edited by skynet907 on Oct 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
what's maddening is Smith always shows flashes of potential. It his inconsistency (esp INT's) and the fact that he rarely steps up when needed most that causes problems. He had some nice plays today though.
what's maddening is Smith always shows flashes of potential. It his inconsistency (esp INT's) and the fact that he rarely steps up when needed most that causes problems. He had some nice plays today though.

Totally agree. Makes you wonder that had we actually developed him, along with the team in general properly...where we could have been.

Oh well. Time to move on.

Luck/Gruden 2011.

He just can't win. Montana threw 3 ints in 1981 NFC championship game, but overcame and threw the winning touchdown. Smith has never overcame his mistakes, separating him from other QBs in the league.
DONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
DONE!!!!!!

Tell that to Singletary.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

And that's what frustrates me the most. The dude flashes his potential here and there, but pisses me off when he can't finish a game. And right now we're 0-4, we need a change at the helm like.............NOW!!!!!!
Consider this: The 49ers quarterbacks are made up of two overall Number Ones (Alex Smith and David Carr) and a Heisman Trophy winner (Troy Smith).

The question isn't IF Alex Smith should get benched. It's why HASN'T he been benched?

Can Carr and T. Smith play better? Gee, I dunno. Can they play any worse? It looks like the Max Hall Era has started in Arizona, so what is the hold-up with a team that hasn't even won a game?

I'm tired of hearing about all of Alex's mulitple offensive coordinators, lousy receivers, crappy offensive line, tipped balls, and the ingrown toenail that's been annoying him. Cry me a river. I don't want excuses. I just want some semblance of professional NFL quarterback play and a victory.

I don't think that's asking for much. Right about now I feel like a real sucker for picking up the NFL Sunday Ticket just so I can watch the 49ers find new ways to break my heart and make me curse loudly every week.

I don't care about hurting Alex Smith's feelings. Bench him. Start one of our other zombie quarterbacks. Who cares? It's not like it's gonna hurt anything.

Our next All-Pro, Super Bowl quarterback is NOT on the roster. He's still in college or maybe even high school.
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Consider this: The 49ers quarterbacks are made up of two overall Number Ones (Alex Smith and David Carr) and a Heisman Trophy winner (Troy Smith).

The question isn't IF Alex Smith should get benched. It's why HASN'T he been benched?

Can Carr and T. Smith play better? Gee, I dunno. Can they play any worse? It looks like the Max Hall Era has started in Arizona, so what is the hold-up with a team that hasn't even won a game?

I'm tired of hearing about all of Alex's mulitple offensive coordinators, lousy receivers, crappy offensive line, tipped balls, and the ingrown toenail that's been annoying him. Cry me a river. I don't want excuses. I just want some semblance of professional NFL quarterback play and a victory.

I don't think that's asking for much. Right about now I feel like a real sucker for picking up the NFL Sunday Ticket just so I can watch the 49ers find new ways to break my heart and make me curse loudly every week.

I don't care about hurting Alex Smith's feelings. Bench him. Start one of our other zombie quarterbacks. Who cares? It's not like it's gonna hurt anything.

Our next All-Pro, Super Bowl quarterback is NOT on the roster. He's still in college or maybe even high school.

I still don't believe those are "excuses" for Alex Smith more then it is an indictment of our organization as a whole.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Ohio49er:

I still don't believe those are "excuses" for Alex Smith more then it is an indictment of our organization as a whole.

yeah, but QBs who come out of the chute and play well in the NFL make all those "indictments" go away. That has been proven time and time again. What were the Falcons before Ryan? A lost bottom dweller, with an organization that was f'd up from top to bottom. Suddenly, they were contenders. That is the danger of an inept QB that lingers around. They can make the whole team - players and management - look inept too. In fact, they can make you believe they aren't the problem. Mark my word, if we get a real QB, we are instant NFC championship contenders, with no other changes.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

And that's what frustrates me the most. The dude flashes his potential here and there, but pisses me off when he can't finish a game. And right now we're 0-4, we need a change at the helm like.............NOW!!!!!!

I don't know what it is about the opponent's 45 yard line but that's where Smith goes from Jekyl to Hyde. Infuriating.
Share 49ersWebzone