LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
did you know???

Frank Gore has been targeted more than any 49ers WR this year? He lead the team in receptions (yet again).

All Hail Captain Checkdown!

the only person capable of getting open s far this season is vernon davis

slso gore is avg over 7 yds a reception so whats the problem

uh...that we are 0-3, and whatever methods we are using is obviously why we are 0-3

7 yds per catch for an RB is great when an Offense is piling it on top of their otherwise stellar attack. 7 yds per catch for an RB as our most dangerous play is a HUGE problem

But but but hes the BELL COW!

Smith to Crabtree = 6.6

Quote:
Smith + Crabtree = 6.6
Who would have thought Michael Crabtree's strained neck would cause Alex Smith so much pain?

After Crabtree missed most of training camp with his injury, his connection with his quarterback has been crippled in the season's first three games.

In fact, the numbers are stunning.

On Smith's 19 passes targeted at Crabtree, he has six completions for 81 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions. Quarterback rating: 6.6.
On Smith's 100 passes targeted at other receivers, he has 66 completions for 651 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Quarterback rating: 86.7.

In other words, throwing to No. 15 has cost Smith, who has a 66.2 rating, about 20 points.

It's been assumed that Crabtree is one of the "playmakers" the Niners will want to do a better job of "getting into open space" under Mike Johnson. Not saying that's a mistake - it's clear Crabtree has Pro-Bowl potential - but it's worth monitoring how much longer it takes Smith and the second-year wideout to get on the same page.

Here's a look at Smith's numbers when targeting Niners receivers this season (minimum 5 targets):

To WR Josh Morgan
Smith: 10 of 17, 114 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
QB Rating: 98.7

To TE Delanie Walker
Smith: 6 of 8, 59 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
QB Rating: 95.3

To RB Frank Gore
Smith: 22 of 29, 203 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
QB Rating: 91.6

To TE Vernon Davis
Smith: 15 of 25, 173 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
QB Rating: 80.9

To WR Dominique Zeigler
Smith: 5 of 8, 50 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
QB Rating: 80.2

To WR Michael Crabtree
Smith: 6 of 19, 81 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT
QB Rating: 6.6

And, absolutely free today, Smith numbers when targeting running backs, tight end and wide receivers. :

To RBs
Smith: 26 of 35, 216 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
QB Rating: 87.3

To TEs
Smith: 24 of 36, 252 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
QB Rating: 86.8

To WRs
Smith: 22 of 46, 264 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT
QB Rating: 36.9

Wow! I'm a "Smith hater" and even I was surprised at these numbers. He just has to stop throwing to Crabs and he'll average above 85 QB rating!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The QB rating of Alex's six best games last year averaged over 90. That is not bad, especially considering his OL's struggles and lack of experience working with his receivers.

Unfortunately, the rest of his starts last year come out to a QB rate of 58.8... What's sad is that he looks like the 58.8 guy instead of the 92.1 guy... Wasn't continuity supposed to make him better?

Him along with the entire offense. Gore is averaging 3.5 ypc. Does that mean he sucks now? Smith is no hero I agree with you but the issue and problem goes far beyond QB. It'd be one thing if gore was averaging 120/game, our receivers were always open and caught everything and Smith just couldn't get it to them. That's obviously not the case. And this has nothing to do with excuses or Alex hating/loving etc...just trying to show the systemic failure that is the 49ers offensive "system."

The major reason Gore is averaging 3.5 YPC is no defense fears Alex Smith, but they do fear Gore. So they stack 8 or 9 men in the box, shut down Gore, and force Smith to beat them in the air, which they know he can't do.

Agreed on the lack of fear but I would say Rayes' scheme is/was the major reason,teams know they're gonna run on 1st,2nd down so it's easy to stack the box.
Johnson for example can have them come out in a 2TE set as if they're gonna run then spread Walker/Davis wide,creating a match up problem for the defense.Remember last year in the spread they were moving the ball and scoring points plus Gore had room to run.
If Johnson schemes correctly utilizing their talent,they will score points.

Go Niners
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
The QB rating of Alex's six best games last year averaged over 90. That is not bad, especially considering his OL's struggles and lack of experience working with his receivers.

Unfortunately, the rest of his starts last year come out to a QB rate of 58.8... What's sad is that he looks like the 58.8 guy instead of the 92.1 guy... Wasn't continuity supposed to make him better?

Him along with the entire offense. Gore is averaging 3.5 ypc. Does that mean he sucks now? Smith is no hero I agree with you but the issue and problem goes far beyond QB. It'd be one thing if gore was averaging 120/game, our receivers were always open and caught everything and Smith just couldn't get it to them. That's obviously not the case. And this has nothing to do with excuses or Alex hating/loving etc...just trying to show the systemic failure that is the 49ers offensive "system."

The major reason Gore is averaging 3.5 YPC is no defense fears Alex Smith, but they do fear Gore. So they stack 8 or 9 men in the box, shut down Gore, and force Smith to beat them in the air, which they know he can't do.

Agreed on the lack of fear but I would say Rayes' scheme is/was the major reason,teams know they're gonna run on 1st,2nd down so it's easy to stack the box.
Johnson for example can have them come out in a 2TE set as if they're gonna run then spread Walker/Davis wide,creating a match up problem for the defense.Remember last year in the spread they were moving the ball and scoring points plus Gore had room to run.
If Johnson schemes correctly utilizing their talent,they will score points.

Go Niners

Did you know that if you replaced Raye's name in bold with Hostler, Nolan, McCarthy, Martz, or Turner, the majority of NT would still think your comments made sense.

Does anyone see the irony here ?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
As I understood it, the opposing defense knew that Raye liked to call running plays up the middle, and liked to throw to Vernon and Crabtree down the middle. So they defended the middle. Yet, Raye continued to call the same plays. He said he was doing what he was told by Singletary, and he obeyed. Singletary is on record for saying that if you continue to pound Gore into the middle long enough, he will eventually break a long one. With such a game plan, Gore can't run and Alex is frustrated because of all the pass plays that are heavily defended.

Alex is smart and goes through his progressions. He will not throw to Vernon and Crabs when they are double covered. So Alex is forced to do the wise thing, and that is to dump off to Gore. Alex complained last year that defenses could anticipate the plays that would be run based on the personnel packages and formations that the 49ers ran out on the field. He expressed optimism that this would change this year. Well, it didn't.

I am not saying that Alex is the answer, or that he is consistently accurate. But he would not be suffering like this if we had a first class HC/OC. I mean, do you really think Brady or Manning or Brees of Rodgers would be doing well if they were thrown into this situation? If your answer is yes, then you do not understand how sophistocated and difficult playing QB in the NFL is. No QB can prosper if too many handicaps are thrown in his way.

A) Alex is BOOK smart, not on the field smart
B) Alex DOES throw ill-advised balls into double coverage, just look at film from the last game
C) Manning or Brees or Rodgers WOULD do well here. Great QBs transcend liabilities around them, esp when they would have Gore, Crabs, and VD on their side. For starters, they wouldn't roll right or checkdown at first impulse, and they also woudln't throw consistently off target passes that result in incompletions, tipped balls, interceptions, or receivers having to stop their route and get on their knees to catch it, etc. Finally, defenses WOULD fear those QBs and they would stop crowding the box to exclusively stop the run and would start respecting the pass, and our offense would open up and roll.

Dude even the best QBs throw tipped balls. Don't you remember the ball Brees threw that got tipped and landed right back in his hands? And I know he's no Brees or Rodgers or Manning or whatever, but I'm guessing everyone here would be happy if we had Jay Cutler with the way he's playing now. But last year he threw 26 INTs and Smith had a better QB rating than him. This year with Martz as Cutler's OC he has a 109 rating so far, after having a 76 last year. Last year Cutler was playing with a vanilla OC in Ron Turner(I think that's his name).

I mean I'm not saying Smith is good right now, I thought he would do a lot better than this to start the season, but I don't think everything is 1 player's fault even when he's as important as the QB.

I'm glad you brought up the Cutler comparison. How did Smith improve after being put under Martz? What or who are we going to blame that one one? And if we blame it on anything but Smith, then what's Cutler's excuse for doing so well the first year in the system? Statistically he's in the top 3 best QBs in the NFL right now.

Smith never played under Martz, but I guess he improved statistically but I wonder if thats coaching or Maturity? The key word for Cutler is Statistically a top 3 QB but we all saw a few turnovers dropped or called back luckily for him. Not to mention his leading receiver is running back Matt Forte. But hey he has a rocket arm so he has got to be great right?
Let's see if they eat their words once Alex rises up the charts...which he will, under MJ.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Smith to Crabtree = 6.6

Quote:
Smith + Crabtree = 6.6
Who would have thought Michael Crabtree's strained neck would cause Alex Smith so much pain?

After Crabtree missed most of training camp with his injury, his connection with his quarterback has been crippled in the season's first three games.

On Smith's 19 passes targeted at Crabtree, he has six completions for 81 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions. Quarterback rating: 6.6.
On Smith's 100 passes targeted at other receivers, he has 66 completions for 651 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Quarterback rating: 86.7.

In other words, throwing to No. 15 has cost Smith, who has a 66.2 rating, about 20 points.

It's been assumed that Crabtree is one of the "playmakers" the Niners will want to do a better job of "getting into open space" under Mike Johnson. Not saying that's a mistake - it's clear Crabtree has Pro-Bowl potential - but it's worth monitoring how much longer it takes Smith and the second-year wideout to get on the same page.

Here's a look at Smith's numbers when targeting Niners receivers this season (minimum 5 targets):

To WR Josh Morgan

To TE Delanie Walker

To RB Frank Gore

To TE Vernon Davis

To WR Dominique Zeigler

To WR Michael Crabtree

And, absolutely free today, Smith numbers when targeting running backs, tight end and wide receivers. :

To RBs

To TEs

To WRs

Wow! I'm a "Smith hater" and even I was surprised at these numbers. He just has to stop throwing to Crabs and he'll average above 85 QB rating!

so if Crab's neck injury resulted in him being put on IR and never playing a game this year, then Captain Checkdown would have an above 85 passer rating this year? Do you really believe that in your heart of hearts?
Smith to Crabtree = 6.6

Quote:
Smith + Crabtree = 6.6

To WR Josh Morgan

To TE Delanie Walker

To RB Frank Gore

To TE Vernon Davis

To WR Dominique Zeigler

To WR Michael Crabtree

To RBs

To TEs

To WRs

so if Crab's neck injury resulted in him being put on IR and never playing a game this year, then Captain Checkdown would have an above 85 passer rating this year? Do you really believe that in your heart of hearts?

Of course we do, right? Just as we all believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and that all Politicians are Honest and Noble. Wait, on second thought......
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by redmanc07:
As I understood it, the opposing defense knew that Raye liked to call running plays up the middle, and liked to throw to Vernon and Crabtree down the middle. So they defended the middle. Yet, Raye continued to call the same plays. He said he was doing what he was told by Singletary, and he obeyed. Singletary is on record for saying that if you continue to pound Gore into the middle long enough, he will eventually break a long one. With such a game plan, Gore can't run and Alex is frustrated because of all the pass plays that are heavily defended.

Alex is smart and goes through his progressions. He will not throw to Vernon and Crabs when they are double covered. So Alex is forced to do the wise thing, and that is to dump off to Gore. Alex complained last year that defenses could anticipate the plays that would be run based on the personnel packages and formations that the 49ers ran out on the field. He expressed optimism that this would change this year. Well, it didn't.

I am not saying that Alex is the answer, or that he is consistently accurate. But he would not be suffering like this if we had a first class HC/OC. I mean, do you really think Brady or Manning or Brees of Rodgers would be doing well if they were thrown into this situation? If your answer is yes, then you do not understand how sophistocated and difficult playing QB in the NFL is. No QB can prosper if too many handicaps are thrown in his way.

B) Alex DOES throw ill-advised balls into double coverage, just look at film from the last game
C) Manning or Brees or Rodgers WOULD do well here. Great QBs transcend liabilities around them, esp when they would have Gore, Crabs, and VD on their side. For starters, they wouldn't roll right or checkdown at first impulse, and they also woudln't throw consistently off target passes that result in incompletions, tipped balls, interceptions, or receivers having to stop their route and get on their knees to catch it, etc. Finally, defenses WOULD fear those QBs and they would stop crowding the box to exclusively stop the run and would start respecting the pass, and our offense would open up and roll.

Dude even the best QBs throw tipped balls. Don't you remember the ball Brees threw that got tipped and landed right back in his hands? And I know he's no Brees or Rodgers or Manning or whatever, but I'm guessing everyone here would be happy if we had Jay Cutler with the way he's playing now. But last year he threw 26 INTs and Smith had a better QB rating than him. This year with Martz as Cutler's OC he has a 109 rating so far, after having a 76 last year. Last year Cutler was playing with a vanilla OC in Ron Turner(I think that's his name).

I mean I'm not saying Smith is good right now, I thought he would do a lot better than this to start the season, but I don't think everything is 1 player's fault even when he's as important as the QB.

I'm glad you brought up the Cutler comparison. How did Smith improve after being put under Martz? What or who are we going to blame that one one? And if we blame it on anything but Smith, then what's Cutler's excuse for doing so well the first year in the system? Statistically he's in the top 3 best QBs in the NFL right now.

Smith never played under Martz, but I guess he improved statistically but I wonder if thats coaching or Maturity? The key word for Cutler is Statistically a top 3 QB but we all saw a few turnovers dropped or called back luckily for him. Not to mention his leading receiver is running back Matt Forte. But hey he has a rocket arm so he has got to be great right?

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. How come every QB that does well in this league has excuses from NT for why they did well, but Smith get's Alexcuses® for NOT doing well? I bet if I ran down every high caliber QB in the NFL, NT would have an excuse for why they play better than Alex... something like:

Cutler - stats deceiving, has Matt Forte, per above
Manning - same OC his whole career
Rodgers - got to sit for 3 years behind a HOF QB before playing, has more talent around him than us and more consistent coaching
Rivers - got to sit for a couple of years behind potential HOF QB (Brees) before playing, has more talent around him than us, more consistent coaching

and on and on. It's so hard to believe we are being taken for such a ride by our own homerism. We take credit away from QBs who bust their ass and play well, and we GIVE credit to Smith for opening his ass and laying eggs on the field because it's not really his fault.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. How come every QB that does well in this league has excuses from NT for why they did well, but Smith get's Alexcuses® for NOT doing well? I bet if I ran down every high caliber QB in the NFL, NT would have an excuse for why they play better than Alex... something like:

Rodgers - got to sit for 3 years behind a HOF QB before playing, has more talent around him than us and more consistent coaching
Rivers - got to sit for a couple of years behind potential HOF QB (Brees) before playing, has more talent around him than us, more consistent coaching

and on and on. It's so hard to believe we are being taken for such a ride by our own homerism. We take credit away from QBs who bust their ass and play well, and we GIVE credit to Smith for opening his ass and laying eggs on the field because it's not really his fault.

I agree with the sentiment, that it is funny that we excuse success elsewhere and lack of it for the Niners. But let me ask you this, do you really believe that those factors you listed did NOT help those QBs?

Take Rivers off of that list, that guy isn't as good as his stats would seem to indicate. Rivers is not an elite QB, replace him with Roethlisberger with the excuse that he had a top flight OC in Whisenhut tutor him.

Originally posted by redmanc07:

How are those excuses? Those look like a bunch of facts to me.

Except the Cutler comparison, he is putting up numbers because thats what every QB does in Martz's offense.
Smith to Crabtree = 6.6

Quote:
Smith + Crabtree = 6.6

To WR Josh Morgan

To TE Delanie Walker

To RB Frank Gore

To TE Vernon Davis

To WR Dominique Zeigler

To WR Michael Crabtree

To RBs

To TEs

To WRs

I just posted it cause I thought it was interesting, but believe that Alex will still lay an egg when we count on him the most. I also think it is no coincidence that these stats are what they are. Crabs has looked s**tty and needs to catch the damn ball and get new cleats OR Smith needs to realize this and look elsewhere for reliable targets. All, except Crabs, has done well when thrown to.

What my "heart of hearts" believes is that Smith needs everyone around him to play well (and the moons to align perfectly) in order for him to be successful. If he's successful, our team will most likely win games.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Let's see if they eat their words once Alex rises up the charts...which he will, under MJ.

How many times have we heard that before...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Sunday, October 3rd: Same old Alex Smith.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

How many times have we heard that before...

Share 49ersWebzone