There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coaches or Players?

Coaches or Players?

• B650
  • Veteran
OK, bear with me here...I was just curious as to what everyone else thought. Is this team sucking because of bad coaching or just a lack of overall talent? I'm sure it's probably both, but what do you think the biggest problem is? I mean, after watching this game, I came away with the impression that we're not as talented as we thought we were, mainly on offense. We have no speed, for example. Speed changes the game. Crabtree is slower than I thought he'd be. Our fastest players are at the TE position. None of our WRs have breakaway speed and nobody can stretch the field. That might change when Ginn comes back, but I doubt it. He has horrible hands anyway and can't be trusted. Also, our team makes bonehead mistakes. I feel like this is one of the dumbest teams in the league for some reason.

However, personally, I think the reason why we're 0-3 is the coaching. I believe that we do have enough talent to win ball games and make the playoffs. I think with the right coaches we could be sitting at 3-0 right now. The problem is PHILOSOPHY. What I mean is, in the past, we had coaches that wanted to win, and win big. Just look at our last Super Bowl victory (49-26). We dominated. The goal back then was to DOMINATE. We wanted to destroy opponents, surprise them, dismantle them, etc. We wanted to embarrass you and then rest our starters, on YOUR turf. How quickly things have changed.

Singletary's philosophy is completely different. He wants to run the ball into a wall 3 straight times and take time off the clock. He wants to be tough. He wants Jimmy Raye to be his puppet and call nice, safe plays so that there are no turnovers. He wants to keep the game close. The problem with this is that in today's NFL, big plays are what wins games. The team with the most big plays always seem to win the games (assuming you don't turn the ball over). If you aim to destroy an opponent, you might only win by 10 points. If your aim is to JUST keep the game close and HOPEFULLY win the game at the end, it ain't gonna work half the time. It's like in school if you aim for an A you might get a B, but if you aim for a C, or to barely pass, you end up with a D.

Look at the Saints game. We kept it close, but we still lost in the final seconds. Maybe if we were a bit more aggressive to start with, we wouldn't have been in that situation. It seems like it's the same crap every week. Start out slow, adjust to what the other team is doing, look decent in the end, lose, and hope next week it carries over. It never does, because it's always back to square one. Like a bunch of monkeys, I swear. We're not keeping teams on their toes, we're just REACTING to what they're doing and HOPING to hang around. Why? We have the freakin' talent to do more, I believe.

So, I think the problem is our coaches lack killer instinct. This philosophy might work if you have the Chicago Bears '84 defense and Walter Payton, but we don't. Our team is like the Flintstones and the rest of the league is like the Jetsons right now. Until we get some creative, modern coaches, I think we'll continue to get embarrassed. Singletary and Raye are to blame and I can't wait for them to be fired. Anyone with me or do you think the players are the problem?
Coaching Talent and players are there - This coaching staff thinks it is 1965 and counters and draws are still the bedrock of an offense.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
What is the question without having to read a bunch of your gibberish?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:

Go back to school if it's too hard for you.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Just what I thought, most people think the coaches are the problem, not the players, which is good. It's a lot easier to replace a few coaches vs. 10 or 20 players.
Coaches, plain and simple... Gore up the gut. over and over and over and over gets old real quick, J Raye was a cast out that Sing gave the job, the first couple OC's sing offered the job to turned it down, so we r stuck with Raye and his out dated playbook, until that changes we are doomed
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Chief:

Go back to school if it's too hard for you.

Not the problem, I just don't feel like reading all your gibberish. I figured I made that clear in one simple sentence. That's for the advice though, I will take it into consideration and ponder on going back to school or not.
coaches and QB

everything else is in ok shape
there is no dout in my mind that it is coaches, can u imagine the offense that kansas city would have if it ad our players, they would put 50 point a game....
Philosophy is the problem
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
players are not exactly executing with flying colors either lol. Crabs runs wrong routes and is off sync. Alex is off sometimes or ever throws receivers. Our DB are pathetic. Our o line get beat all day by pee wee linemen and highschool plays. its everybody all at the same time. First we need to get rid of Raye though. when the plays are called right like in NO we can comptete and even wait for it......WIN. Everybody is to blame from coach to payers to management. Bring back eddie lets start a petition online im all for bring back Eddie.
This poll is missing a "both" option.

Smith's obligatory furtive glance down field, followed by an episode of happy feet, followed by a predictable check down/roll right and throw away isn't doing the staff any favors--not that the coaching staff deserves any. Nor is yet another year of pathetic O-Line play making the coaches look competent.

Between our coaches and our lousy players at key positions, we have a perfect symmetry of suck on our hands.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:32 AM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
This poll is missing a "both" option.

Smith's obligatory furtive glance down field, followed by an episode of happy feet, followed by a predictable check down/roll right and throw away isn't doing the staff any favors--not the coaching staff deserves any. Nor is yet another year of pathetic O-Line play making the coaches look competent.

Between our coaches and our lousy players at key positions, we have a perfect symmetry of suck on our hands.

lmao that is such a perfect description of our passing offense
[ Edited by znk916 on Sep 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by HighRever777:
Coaches, plain and simple... Gore up the gut. over and over and over and over gets old real quick, J Raye was a cast out that Sing gave the job, the first couple OC's sing offered the job to turned it down, so we r stuck with Raye and his out dated playbook, until that changes we are doomed

Gore up the gut is going to be a big problem. I totally see him getting hurt very soon if we keep that up. He's being abused, and a RB's body can't take that type of running very long. Most "up the middle" type RBs last no more than 3-4 good seasons in the NFL. Gore's years are behind him. We need to get back to the WCO to protect our offensive talent, if nothing else...
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Other than QB this team has enough talent to win 10-11 games, so that lays it on the feet of the coaching staff. Why does Smith look decent like he did against the Saints and then lost against KC and Seattle? That tells me he is confused about something he wasn't prepared for. Whose fault is that?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home