LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Atlanta Falcons)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Baldie:
Yeah Alex some mistakes today, costly was the INT. However today....i'm not blaming Alex....I'm blaming the defense. The offense moved the ball when they needed to. They only scored 7 but they moved the ball and kept the Falcons offense off the field and they had the Falcon defense guessing at times. We actually saw the offense moved the ball and we saw the playmakers get the ball, something we havent seen all year. Kudos to Mike Johnson on that note.

This loss, and possibly the Saints loss, I blame the defense. The defense had chances to win both games but did not come through. Today, Clements gets a key INT on the Falcons, what looked like their last drive. Clements trys to make a play but instead didn't secure the ball and got it knocked out by Roddy, who saved the game for their team. Then the falcons get the ball back on the 10, and the defense goes conservative and let Ryan throw the ball down the field to get into FG range. With Clements being a Vet, shouldn't he have know to hold on to the ball or just get down. Let the offense get on the field and run a few plays. Maybe the Falcons use their time outs but that changes the whole perspective of the game because at least the defense gets a little rest.

This team, evey week, just makes dumb a** mistakes that costs them the game that they potentially could have won.

I stopped reading when you said you don't blame Alex
Originally posted by kstolai:
Yeah Alex some mistakes today, costly was the INT. However today....i'm not blaming Alex....I'm blaming the defense. The offense moved the ball when they needed to. They only scored 7 but they moved the ball and kept the Falcons offense off the field and they had the Falcon defense guessing at times. We actually saw the offense moved the ball and we saw the playmakers get the ball, something we havent seen all year. Kudos to Mike Johnson on that note.

This loss, and possibly the Saints loss, I blame the defense. The defense had chances to win both games but did not come through. Today, Clements gets a key INT on the Falcons, what looked like their last drive. Clements trys to make a play but instead didn't secure the ball and got it knocked out by Roddy, who saved the game for their team. Then the falcons get the ball back on the 10, and the defense goes conservative and let Ryan throw the ball down the field to get into FG range. With Clements being a Vet, shouldn't he have know to hold on to the ball or just get down. Let the offense get on the field and run a few plays. Maybe the Falcons use their time outs but that changes the whole perspective of the game because at least the defense gets a little rest.

This team, evey week, just makes dumb a** mistakes that costs them the game that they potentially could have won.

I stopped reading when you said you don't blame Alex
didnt think we would win in the beginning of the game but when we went up 14-0 and we blocked a punt of all things to score i actually thought we wouldve won. but of course we found ways to lose this game
There is no doubt this was a team fail, but there are always a few regulars that seem to be a part of that fail (Alex Smith, T.Brown).
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
There is no doubt this was a team fail, but there are always a few regulars that seem to be a part of that fail (Alex Smith, T.Brown).

Ummmm the QB will ALWAYS be a regular. We can't exactly line up for a full game without the position.

And Brown didn't play bad at all. Since the game is skewed toward the Offense, it's difficult to always get it right.

They scored their one TD on Nate because Gonzales interfered with him. Actually should have been Offensive holding on that play.

And in fact Mays gave up the long conversion to extend the drive for the Falcons. So I don't see why you're blaming Brown.

~Ceadder
I believe I can sum this game, and the 49ers season up in one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJVuY1UefVo&feature=related
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I believe I can sum this game, and the 49ers season up in one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJVuY1UefVo&feature=related

lol
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

lol

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Ummmm the QB will ALWAYS be a regular. We can't exactly line up for a full game without the position.

And Brown didn't play bad at all. Since the game is skewed toward the Offense, it's difficult to always get it right.

They scored their one TD on Nate because Gonzales interfered with him. Actually should have been Offensive holding on that play.

And in fact Mays gave up the long conversion to extend the drive for the Falcons. So I don't see why you're blaming Brown.

~Ceadder

Wow, you are on another planet. Brown got burned, at the end, when it counted. Enough with your excuses already; "Nate got interfered with" is just BS whining. And your continued support of Smith and excuse-making for him is off the charts. Is there anything, at all, negative that you see regarding this team. Because if you don't, you're blind.
  • dmax
  • Veteran

This is the truth....The defense cost us two game this season...saints/ now this game...people really need to stop with the smith hate. Yes he made two horrible picks..but in the end it was our " great defense" that let us down.... again. Was alex on the field when nate got "selfish" and tried to go for the td when all he had to do was fall or run outta bounds..NO. WAS alex on the field when our Great Defense Let them march down the field and Convert two.. 3rd and longs...NO. THAT WAS all on manusky and our HORRIBLE PLAY CALLING.....AGAIN.. SO STOP BLAMING ALEX AND PLACE BLAME WHERE IT TRULY BELONGS
[ Edited by dmax on Oct 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM ]

Originally posted by MBniner:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Wow, you are on another planet. Brown got burned, at the end, when it counted. Enough with your excuses already; "Nate got interfered with" is just BS whining. And your continued support of Smith and excuse-making for him is off the charts. Is there anything, at all, negative that you see regarding this team. Because if you don't, you're blind.

why the f**k did manusky have f**king brown covering one of the top wrs in the nfl in roddy white??????
I've been a Alex Smith supporter since we got him, but Im starting to believe that he is one of the weak links. Its the same stuff every time. Until he learns how to stay calm in the pocket those INTs will always happen. I like the kid, but sooner or later we need to try something new.

Positive is T Mays. Funny how they did not pick on him, but picked on Goldson?! Maybe they gave more help to the rook, which allowed them to pick on Goldson, but either way....we have our starting SS set!!!
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:

This is the truth....The defense cost us two game this season...saints/ now this game...people really need to stop with the smith hate. Yes he made two horrible picks..but in the end it was our " great defense" that let us down.... again. Was alex on the field when nate got "selfish" and tried to go for the td when all he had to do was fall or run outta bounds..NO. WAS alex on the field when our Great Defense Let them march down the field and Convert two.. 3rd and longs...NO. THAT WAS all on manusky and our HORRIBLE PLAY CALLING.....AGAIN.. SO STOP BLAMING ALEX AND PLACE BLAME WHERE IT TRULY BELONGS

Thank you! Finally someone who feels the same way. I'm not defending Smith at all but at the same time we all know he's not going to get benched or released during the season so we just gotta live with him at QB for now. We all know he made the mistakes. If he scores on the drive where he got the INT, then this thread would all be positive. Despite the mistakes Smith did, the game was still winnable. 90 seconds from their first win against a playoff team. The Defense lost this game for us, plain and simple. Clements was not being smart. They were 0-3 and probably thought he could spark this team by running back for a TD to put the game away. Instead he didn't secure the ball and Roddy came from behind and stripped it. The defense was in the last part of the game for 18 plays straight. I didn't even see any pressure on the last drive, they played prevent. All they needed was a FG and they played prevent? Clements didn't even talk to reporters cause he knows what he did.
I don't want to whine about the refs but they missed an easy illegal pick by Tony Gonzalez on Nate Clements on Atlanta's first TD. He picked him way down the field and held him from getting to the edge to push out Douglass.
both alex msith and nate clements tried to make plays, and it ended bad for niners...teams in their situations often cause players to try to force things....

smith try to force things throwing that terrible pass to gore at end of the first half...
that is all on smith, but I wish the receivers would put up both hands to try to make catch...gore throws up just 1 hand to try to catch the ball...if he uses two, maybe he catches it, or at least knocks it down rather than tipping it up

smith got called for intentional grounding, while still trying to complete the screen called for gore...btw if he doesnt throw the ball he is sacked and niners are still out of field goal range

many would have had clements just srop to the ground after catch, but i dont have a quarrel with his trying to return ball, though he should have covered up, and maybe gone down as he got into field goal range....if he drops down, niners probably run the ball 3 times, falcons stop the clock with their time outs after each run, then niners punt the ball back with a minute on clock, and falcons work it downfield like they did

if clements falls down around the 01-15 yd line, niners run ball 3 times, work the clock and kick a field goal and go up by 4

by the way it is kinda sad that this happened to clements as he has always tried to come up behind runners and punch the ball loose himself--he did it a few years back vs rams to help win a game...as such he really should have known better
Share 49ersWebzone