There are 228 users in the forums

The Right Head Coach Can Lead to an Immediate Turnaround

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I realize after reviewing my thread that this doesn't really leave room for very much discussion. So do you guys think that merely picking the right head coach is enough? Or do we need a substantial roster purge to help get rid of the "losing culture." What characteristics should we look for in a head coach that fits well with the players we have.

I don't want specific names, that can go in other threads dedicated to this topic.
I defff agree that with the right coach this ship can be turned around. Its not a stretch at all to say we are a very talented team. It boils down to coaching, schemes, playcalling and having the team pre paired. After 3 games its safe to say Sing is not nor will ever be that guy. But as posted earlier the Dorks don't take the time to pick the right man there first interview gets the job
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I realize after reviewing my thread that this doesn't really leave room for very much discussion. So do you guys think that merely picking the right head coach is enough? Or do we need a substantial roster purge to help get rid of the "losing culture." What characteristics should we look for in a head coach that fits well woth the players we have.

I don't want specific names, that can go in other threads dedicated to this topic.

Well, it probably would. We seem to have talent, but aren't using them in the right way. This seemed obvious to me today. I had posted earlier this week that this game would show what our team really is going to be this year. It's not good.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Firing Sing will be hard, and not realistic. Politics are involved, and then there is the money.

Too much money left on his contract, and you know the Yorks don't want forfeit all that money.

An overnight hire of Gruden won't happen either. Gruden will want a lot of money, and they'll need to negotiate for while.

I think they should open discussions with him now though...and wait for next season to hire him. NFL will force an extended interview process with minority candidates and all that.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I defff agree that with the right coach this ship can be turned around. Its not a stretch at all to say we are a very talented team. It boils down to coaching, schemes, playcalling and having the team pre paired. After 3 games its safe to say Sing is not nor will ever be that guy. But as posted earlier the Dorks don't take the time to pick the right man there first interview gets the job

LOL. It's so true. That's just want to fill the position and get it over with cheaply. Usually an inexperienced, unproven internal candidate.
Originally posted by kray28:
Firing Sing will be hard, and not realistic. Politics are involved, and then there is the money.

Too much money left on his contract, and you know the Yorks don't want forfeit all that money.

An overnight hire of Gruden won't happen either. Gruden will want a lot of money, and they'll need to negotiate for while.

I think they should open discussions with him now though...and wait for next season to hire him. NFL will force an extended interview process with minority candidates and all that.

We should all sit back and get ready to see 2009 all over again. And hope for a new coaching regime in 2011...

...that is, if there is football in 2011.
Originally posted by cortana49:
I realize after reviewing my thread that this doesn't really leave room for very much discussion. So do you guys think that merely picking the right head coach is enough? Or do we need a substantial roster purge to help get rid of the "losing culture." What characteristics should we look for in a head coach that fits well woth the players we have.

Well, it probably would. We seem to have talent, but aren't using them in the right way. This seemed obvious to me today. I had posted earlier this week that this game would show what our team really is going to be this year. It's not good.

Yeah I think it's a HC. We're more talented than the chiefs but we were outcoached really badly and it showed. Sing doesn't know how to coach a game, and Raye doesn't know wtf he's doing, they're wasting our talent, and Manusky can't stop a screen pass. Gruden took teams in TB that didn't have franchise QBs to the playoffs, he was an offensive guru. Same with Shanahan in Denver after Elway left. Reid didn't have the most talented WRs for McNabb but he made sure he used what he did efficiently by getting creative with Westbrook and their TEs. Sean Payton immediately turned around the Saints, even though nobody thought Brees was as good as he is now when he played for Marty Schottenheimer in SD. Belichik routinely has turnover as far as coordinators and front office people goes but he keeps that team running well because he knows what he's doing. Part of it is X's and O's, the other part is just common sense and knowing what to do and being flexible. Sing is just another Mike Nolan, except he can't even coordinate his defense. Basically there's an it factor for coaches too and Sing just doesn't have it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.
~ Great at developing QB's.
~ His teams are always much more prepared than opponents.

No compariso to singletary...

The question is does he want to leave college football? Or does he want to build a dynasty in college football like Carroll and Urban Meyer?

The question is what if we get the first pick and a chance at Luck.

Anyways, im really hoping for change with raye and sing.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.
~ Great at developing QB's.
~ His teams are always much more prepared than opponents.

No compariso to singletary...

The question is does he want to leave college football? Or does he want to build a dynasty in college football like Carroll and Urban Meyer?

your not building a dynasty in stanford with the academic requirements to get in that school

admissions looks away if you can fill seats....

Originally posted by Apone:
Gruden. Super Bowl winning coach, knows the west coast offense, started his coaching career here. likes the bay area.

This. We have talent to win now. We don't have time for Harbough to adjust to the league.

• BobS
  • Veteran
This team has talent except for QB, Smith is as erratic as someone who has been up 4 days straight smoking crack, he needs to go. The coaching is pathetic, time to clean house.
For me I think the right head coach is someone who is offensive minded and can either call his own plays or pick someone that actually knows s**t about offense and can run his system. I'm tired of the either having a lot of OC turnaround or incompetent OC's that no one would ever want because they suck.

He needs to be an energetic and involved coach. This is a really young team and they need someone who can connect with them and get them fired up. At the same time he needs to be someone who is level-headed, not up and down and emotional like Sing. Our team is very emotional and very fragile and we cant have a head coach who also is like that or it will lead to a lot of trouble.

Energetic, innovative, and level-headed. If one is energetic and innovated without the level-headed part you get Josh McDaniels.
Bill Cowher. Quality person and coach. NC State roots can only help.

WOLFPACK!
What this franchise needs more than anything is some strong football minds in the front office to make the decisions. But that is asking for too much. The Yorks will never go for that. As far as the coach goes, there is no guarantee Nolentary will be fired. This is the same ownership that kept Nolan after that disastrous '07 season. They'll either keep Nolentary or hire another cheap dumbass who impresses them in the interview.
The OL cant stop 4 rushers.....

V Davis and P Willis got there extensions and di commercials so and they both seem worse then last year. Both are playing very soft.

Goldston who spend the offseason trying to get a new deal is playing terrible....Is Roman still available?

Franklin sat out all preseason and it shows... He seems gassed and doesnt have that great push like last year.

Crabtree was "injured" all preseason and now has no chemistry with Alex.

TKO who looked like he was ready to have another really good year got injured.

Ginn who is the answer to the returner problem is also injured

Yeah blame Dingleberry and the Senior Citizen Raye
Share 49ersWebzone