There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Right Head Coach Can Lead to an Immediate Turnaround

This season looks like another lost season, a repeat of the 2007 season which was the last time we were hyped as a playoff team before this year. As painful as this season is, there is hope for the 2011 season....

..if we pick the right head coach after this season.

With the right head coach, recent history has shown that a team can have a complete turnaround that next season, or if not that next season the season after that.

The Atlanta Falcons were in complete disarray following the Michael Vick dog-fighting scandal. Mike Smith comes in there, remodels the team, grabs a franchise QB and their bell cow running back, gets Roddy White off the junk food and into a stud WR and the team makes the playoffs. A stunning turnaround.

The Arizona Cardinals were well known for their futility year after year, having gone the past 22 years with one winning season under their belt. Ken Wisenhunt comes along, and molds the Cardinals into a winning team, even reaching the superbowl in his second year as head coach.

Sean Payton comes in, signs his franchise quarterback in the off season and immediately turns the Saints into a winner, giving the Saints their first super bowl victory in their history.

The Miami Dolphins under Parcells and Sporano go from 1-15 and a team in complete disrepair to 11-5 in one season. Their offenseive coordinator actually creates an offense to fit around their limited personel. Shocking concept I know.

Now the Chiefs look like a team on the rise thanks to a new regime. It took them a year but they've completely turned their team around in a very short time.

With the talent that we have, if we pick the right coach we could easily turn into a legitimate playoff team next year, and not one that gets in because their division is crappy either.

We have some nice core players: Vernon, Gore, Crabtree (under the right coaching staff he'll be fine), Willis, Justin Smith, and a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball.

The biggest problem is going to be changing that losing culture that has developed over our years of futility. Many of the players just don't know what it's like to win in the nfl. Our team psyche is too fragile. It's going to be imperative to bring in some veterans who have experienced winning at a high level, even if they're only backups and role players. We need to bring in a winning mentality. Oh and draft a new franchise quarterback of course.

The biggest question is: can Jed York pick the right head coach to replace Singletary? This is what I'm most fearful about. If not we could be in for many more years of playoff-les football.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Sep 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM ]
good post, I agree, we just need a head coach with a clue
Harbough
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.
~ Great at developing QB's.
~ His teams are always much more prepared than opponents.

No comparison to singletary...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM ]
I think the question is can Jed York bring in someone powerful and effective.
Gruden? Would he leave MNF?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.

No compariso to singletary...

The question is does he want to leave college football? Or does he want to build a dynasty in college football like Carroll and Urban Meyer?
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Gruden. Super Bowl winning coach, knows the west coast offense, started his coaching career here. likes the bay area.
Bill Cowher
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

NO.

History has shown the Yorks want...

1) The internal candidate.
2) The cheapest available candidate.
3) They don't want a long search and inverview process of all available candidates. They want it to be over real fast.

NO.

3) They don't want a long search and inverview process of all available candidates. They want it to be over real fast.

What they really seem to want is someone that does not make them feel stupid or incompetent. That's why they avoid coaches with brains, or who will challenge them.

I still think about what this team would be like with Shanahan and McNabb....
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.

No comparison to singletary...

Harbaugh, is a great motivator (like sing) Harbaugh likes a 3-4 defense (like Sing) Harbaugh believes in a strong run game (like sing)

This is the perfect team for Harbaugh's style!
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

NO.

What they really seem to want is someone that does not make them feel stupid or incompetent. That's why they avoid coaches with brains, or who will challenge them.

I don't even need Shanahan or McNabb I just miss Mooch and Garcia!
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

NO.

Shannahan + McNabb = Playoffs and maybe deep with this team. But Shannahan costs $7 Million and and McNabb costs $$$$$'s too. So no way for the Yorks...
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Harbaugh.

~ Offensive minded.

No compariso to singletary...

The question is does he want to leave college football? Or does he want to build a dynasty in college football like Carroll and Urban Meyer?

your not building a dynasty in stanford with the academic requirements to get in that school