There are 225 users in the forums

Patrick Willis comes to Alex Smith's defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary has a lot to learn still...

Patrick Willis comes to Alex Smith's defense

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 25, 2010 11:57 AM ET

Before Alex Smith steadied himself with a strong Monday night performance against the Saints, the leader of his defense had already helped support the embattled 49ers quarterback.

In the moments after the 49ers' 31-6 Week One loss, Smith was called out in the locker room by coach Mike Singletary. 49ers team captain Patrick Willis immediately stood up to defend Smith, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Willis said no one should judge Smith or anyone else until they looked at the game film. (Isn't that usually the message from the coach?)

"I've been in that situation before, and I know how he feels," Willis said Friday. "It looked bad from a fan's perspective. . . . But did the receivers run the wrong route? Did the offensive line get the right block? (Smith) works hard, he's been through a lot, and we're all in this together."

It's good the players are sticking together, even if there seems to be some coach-player communication problems. Now they just need a win in Kansas City or the team's resolve will really be tested.

LINK
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
waiting for ZRF80 come in here and call Patrick Willis a "pathetic" Alex Smith apologist.

• gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
waiting for ZRF80 come in here and call Patrick Willis a "pathetic" Alex Smith apologist.

• Mex49

Never thanked you for those links the other day.
Cheers!
God I love p52
what does singletary still have a lot to learn?

oh wait nvm..
[ Edited by WestCoast on Sep 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM ]
Interesting. However, the onus is still on Alex to play CONSISTENT quarterback.
Percentage that this gets merged with another thread, even though I feel like it deserves to be its own thread? 95%.

willis is a pathetic alex smith apologist.
okkkkkkk so what does he have to learn?

This story intrigues me because Sing was very high on Smith after the loss (during the post-conference), so it sounds to me like Sing lost his s**t in the locker room once again and the most respectable bread-winner on the roster set things straight with his mentor.

This all reminds me of last year's TC Alex threw an interception and Singletary forced him to go sit on a hill, and 10 mins. later all the starters (from V.D. to the entire o-line came to join him on the hill in a showing of solidarity).
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

willis is a pathetic alex smith apologist.

YOU tell him that...
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This story intrigues me because Sing was very high on Smith after the loss (during the post-conference), so it sounds to me like Sing lost his s**t in the locker room once again and the most respectable bread-winner on the roster set things straight with his mentor.

This all reminds me of last year's TC Alex threw an interception and Singletary forced him to go sit on a hill, and 10 mins. later all the starters (from V.D. to the entire o-line came to join him on the hill in a showing of solidarity).

Singletary didn't "force" Smith to sit on the hill.

Disgusted by a fumble at practice, 49ers Coach Mike Singletary warned his players that the next player to turn the ball over would be banished from the field. The quarterback (Smith) threw a hard-luck interception just minutes after Singletary laid down the law Monday. linkage

The starting linemen only also joined Smith after the second group was in.

After the first offense was finished with its period of work, the five offensive linemen scaled the hill for a sit-in with Smith. linkage

You're making it more than it was/is.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM ]
Hey, it's a little thing, but alex with that OL is not the alex of old. Now many out there have and have had legitimate disbelief in alex. Until MNF, i had never taken sides. I did say, get the kid an OL and THEN judge. Not trying to change anyone's mind, but there is a mountain of difference between playing qb naked, and playing with a real, pro, functioning OL. Remember, NO has one of the best Ds in the league, and they
NEVER laid a hand, let alone a blow on alex. That sounds eerily like something we have not seen around here in 8-9 yrs. I would only suggest the doubter, who have been let down time after time, consider the significance of a hotshot QB with a great OL, and do we ever have one. As many have noted, we also have an all star cast coaching OL, thank God, and we in addition finally have a QB coach, who probably is being groomed as OC...but i hope he maintains the qB coach position.

Win or lose tomorrow, i will again be watching the OL...and if they once again dominate, i look for #11 to have a good game. Last time i thot about KC, i predicted we would slaughter them. Well we got on the wrong end of 0-41 or 7-41, whichever. So no predictions, but as the OL now goes, so goes alex.

A final nod of the head to p52, for standing up for his man, which i doubt would happen if alex were the tool many think. Let's all just go back to zero, remind ourselves that alex for first time ever has this great OL, and grade him from here on out...forget the past. It is not worth remembering. If he fails with this OL, all doubters were correct. Somehow, i just don't think that will happen.
stop it with the p52 crap, his nickname is P Willy.
Share 49ersWebzone