There are 188 users in the forums

"We will stop Drew Brees!" -Did we?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

"We will stop Drew Brees!" -Did we?

No offense, but this thread is pointless.

Mike Singletary wears his emotions on his sleeve which even he acknowledged.

Did we stop Drew Brees? According to his stat-line, perhaps we did not.

Did we make it difficult for him? Maybe a bit.

Bit did our team take the proper step out of a s**thole season-opener against the defending champs? Definitely.

With the exception of the four KILLER turnovers that we GAVE New Orleans, did our ELEVEN players play their damn hearts out against their ELEVEN players the majority of the night? Undoubtedly.

Let's not nit-pick one comment Singletary made, especially considering Singletary was correct about his other comments (e.g., Alex Smith WILL play well; our offense WILL move the ball, etc.)

And no, I am not being a homer, I acknowledge out team's bonehead mistakes and premature proclamations, but F*** it, I'd rather root for a team that has the intent on restoring rightful 49er glory, even if it comes at the expense of an unfulfilled comment.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
It was his lowest yardage total since early 2008.

He didn't beat us we beat ourselves. Yes we stopped him. Next question?
Obviously we didn't if he was able to win the game for his team with a beautiful throw that set up the field goal.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Bit did our team take the proper step out of a s**thole season-opener against the defending champs? Definitely.

With the exception of the four KILLER turnovers that we GAVE New Orleans, did our ELEVEN players play their damn hearts out against their ELEVEN players the majority of the night? Undoubtedly.

Let's not nit-pick one comment Singletary made, especially considering Singletary was correct about his other comments (e.g., Alex Smith WILL play well; our offense WILL move the ball, etc.)

And no, I am not being a homer, I acknowledge out team's bonehead mistakes and premature proclamations, but F*** it, I'd rather root for a team that has the intent on restoring rightful 49er glory, even if it comes at the expense of an unfulfilled comment.

stop the sense-making and good rationalization, take that s**t elsewhere
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

stop the sense-making and good rationalization, take that s**t elsewhere

haha. You're right, I'll be sure to start a thread about how Alex Smith is a bust, then
Not when it mattered on that last drive He led them to a score and a victory.
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
we failed to stop him when it mattered most, plain and simple.
Originally posted by lamontb:

X2

In the final analysis -- the answer to the question is: No.
Did we stop him when needed? No. But the D did pretty damn well considering who the opponent was.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Well, the Saints and their fans think we did.

Just a quote from the saints' forums;

Quote:
The evening started off on a tear with a quick safety and touchdown bringing forth a 9-0 lead before the game was even six minutes old. It appeared as if the Saints had regained their form and the route was on. That changed quickly though as San Francisco stymied the offense and forced punt after punt from Thomas Morstead and thus allowed Frank Gore and Alex Smith to put on a bit of a show that is usually seen in black and gold not maroon and gold. What exactly was going on here?

New Orleans couldn't finish off drives and ended up with field goals. San Francisco did nothing but drive down the field and then have some sort of drive-killing turnover. Drew Brees looked great out there. Alex Smith looked more then adequate to lead his team to victory, and he almost did. The Saints running game was virtually non-existent. San Francisco gashed New Orleans for 142 rushing yards including 112 from Gore. By all accounts, you'd have no real idea who won this game and that is why it went down to the wire and almost into overtime.
Before that last drive, he had 30+ attempts and less than 200 yards to show for it.

Yes we stopped him until then. And you can even say they play Colston made was well defended and Brees pretty much threw it up knowing he had one on one and Colston just made a good play.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
didnt stop him when it mattered the most.....the last drive
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not when it counted we didn't.
Scoreboard is all that matters. The answer is no.
Share 49ersWebzone