Dixon and Westbrook to keep Frank Gore Fresh, and to keep defenses on
their collective toes... Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't
already seen Westbrook in on 3rd downs as a pass receiver out of the
backfield, and Dixon late in games to pound a tired defense... Just my
humble opinion..

A9R4Life

good insight.
we never seem to sub in Dixon or Westbrook
Man Gore is going to be ok! He's Frank the Tank for crying out loud, give the lion his share, there is no wearing down the tank behind Iupati!!!!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
This guy is still pretty good...

And he's 34!

RB's that can go 10-15 years in the league are a dying breed. RB's are becoming a dime a dozen. Most break out for 2, 3, 5 years and then are done. That's why I doubt many of the rushing records will be broken. That and the league becoming more pass oriented.

P.S. Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin... two great RBs that are highly underrated.

As for Frank Gore we can use our choice of philosophies on him....

1. Let Gore run until his legs fall off (and he will) and run him into the ground for the next 3 or so years and then let Dixon take over for him.

2. Give Gore his carries but mix Dixon and Westbrook in to keep from wearing him down so we can prolong his career. Instead of him going 3 years maybe we can have him in a 2 back system 5 years from now still. Problem with this is Gore gets better as he goes and he needs his carries because he will eventually break one.

Edit: and it's hard to take Gore out on any down including 3rd because he is such a great receiver out of the backfield. You just hate to take him off the field because he is such a threat. It would be different if he couldn't block or catch the ball. Then you could say let's get him off on 3rd downs and get someone else in.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No way!!!!
I'm gonna put it out there that if Coffee's dumb ass decided to retire before the draft, we probably would have seriously considered drafting Best.
We won't burn him out but it wouldn't hurt to sub Westbrook in some. We could have dangerous weapons with Gore,Westbrook,Vernon and Crabs all on the field at once. It'd be nice to have a OC that knows how to use his weapons.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I'm gonna put it out there that if Coffee's dumb ass decided to retire before the draft, we probably would have seriously considered drafting Best.

I'm fine with that. Unless you're lucky enough to have a freak like Gore, RBs age in dog years. Davis and Iupati should be in their prime with several promising years ahead of them when Best (as much as I like the guy) is breaking down.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

I'm fine with that. Unless you're lucky enough to have a freak like Gore, RBs age in dog years. Davis and Iupati should be in their prime with several promising years ahead of them when Best (as much as I like the guy) is breaking down.

I think a backup/scat back would have been a reach at 13/17 and at 49 he wasn't available. I doubt we would have traded a 3rd + to move up from 49 to 30.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:59 PM ]
i think this is a philosophical question: to wit, do we run frank until he's burned out, or do we elect to "save" him , and thus his career , by running Adix and westbrook for half the plays? Frank has been the heart and soul of our club, with running, receiving and he is also a stellar blocker. Ques is: what will help us most: playing frank until he drops, thus shortening his career, or letting westbrook and adix rotate in and make frank take only half the hits he now takes. I think i like "prolonging frank's career" choice, but would be interested in what the WZ thinks
If were not carefull we will burn him out, that's why we got a future starter in Davis, a change of pace in Westbrook, and got rid of a non-factor in Robinson.
I'm more worried that we've wasted his entire career without a single playoff game.
IMO Frank gets stronger when we wear out the defense with the running game, we really pounded on the Saints in the 4th quarter and had them gasping for air
I want this guy to get all the touches but when we make it into the play offs later I dont want to see him burnt out or worse injured because of all the touches.

Keeping him fresh and using the other strike weapons on the side line would do wonders for Gore, our offensive game, and attack from our running backs.
When we don't give Gore the ball everyone says why don't we give Gore the ball....come on, he is the heart of this team.KEEP GIVING GORE THE BALL