Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Frank Gore will run until his legs fall off... Given that, we should rotate in
Dixon and Westbrook to keep Frank Gore Fresh, and to keep defenses on
their collective toes... Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't
already seen Westbrook in on 3rd downs as a pass receiver out of the
backfield, and Dixon late in games to pound a tired defense... Just my
humble opinion..

A9R4Life

I suspect Westbrook's hamstring may still be nagging him. There's also a chance that we're doing with Westbrook what the Saints did with Bush last season. That is, keeping him as an ace up the sleeve. Given his concussion history and the nature of concussions, that might not be such a bad idea.
Forgot about the Hammy.... But I'd still love to see more of Dixon bruising
opposing defenses and wearing them down... Power Power Power and then
a burst with Gore... Or a two back set, and keep the defenses guessing on
who is getting the ball...
This guy is still pretty good...

And he's 34!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
The more touches Gore gets, the better he gets. Gore wants to play so let the man play.

This.

I agree with the touches but we have to give him a break time to time. Let Westbrook and Dixon play some snaps. Maybe 10-15 snaps a game between the two.
until Gore breaks it for a long one keep feeding him the rock, he's been so close in the last 2 games, I think he's gonna give a 40+ yarder in KC
Originally posted by valrod33:
The more touches Gore gets, the better he gets. Gore wants to play so let the man play.

This.

haven't you rad that Gore is the best RB in the history of 49ers and the entire NFL? how can best of all time burn out after a few games. quit hating.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I love Frank Gore and understand that he is our Bellcow, but the coaching staff needs to sharing the load a little bit or he's gonna get burned out! Case and point, Clinton Portis..... Once an explosive back now is only a shell of himself. Now gore lost a lot of carries being injured while in college so he has a few more great years ahead of him. But if we keep pounding him like we do..... He might be washed up before we no it. We have great depth at RB so lets utilize our other weapons...

Portis is a bad example.

I don't think he was ever all that great. He was a product of the system in Denver and has never been as good since.
Naw they really haven't over worked him. And unlike most backs he can remain on the field on 3rd down and make catches. i trust they know when to mix in dixon if needed.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The average career of an NFL player is what 4 or 5 years? Consider yourselves lucky if you get 8 prime years from a RB.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I love Frank Gore and understand that he is our Bellcow, but the coaching staff needs to sharing the load a little bit or he's gonna get burned out! Case and point, Clinton Portis..... Once an explosive back now is only a shell of himself. Now gore lost a lot of carries being injured while in college so he has a few more great years ahead of him. But if we keep pounding him like we do..... He might be washed up before we no it. We have great depth at RB so lets utilize our other weapons...

Portis is a bad example.

I don't think he was ever all that great. He was a product of the system in Denver and has never been as good since.

Very bad example. Portis put on a bunch of weight when the Skins got Gibbs so he could be more of a bruising back instead of a cutback runner. That's when he lost a lot of his explosion. Plus he's had more injuries and more serious injuries in his career than Gore.

Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Every other team in the league understands you need to use 2 or 3 RBs so maybe these coaches will pick up on that someday.

Not every other team in the league has a top five RB like Gore. With Westbrook and Dixon, we have good depth at RB if needed.

I guess I just want to see more of what Dixon can do. Hopefully he gets more touches as the season progresses.
  • dj43
Keeping a balance between what he wants to do and what will be in the best interest of the team is the key. All good players want the ball on every play, however, the good teams have AT LEAST two quality RBs if they expect to go into the playoffs with a healthy running game.

RBs have the shortest average career life of all positions. Gore has already lasted longer than the average back, that is notable especially considering his running style. Therefore it is important to integrate Dixon and Westbrook into the offense as much as possible, both to keep them sharp and to keep Gore fresh. Gore will last as long as his knees last but all football players get worn down from the grind of the season. Keeping him both fresh and content with the overall goal will be another test of Singletary's abilities as a HC.

First of all, it's case IN point..........and second the answer is yes, eventually. Gore is nearing the age where most RB's hit the wall, but he's not there yet. In the short term, Gore is not going to wear out. He usually runs better the more carries he gets and that usually means W's for the Niners. Gore is just fine right now and I say keep giving him as many carries as he can handle. With Dixon backing him up, the future is just fine, too.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by valrod33:

This.

That
Frank will be fine like u guys said more he carries better he gets..Gore is the man but I would like to see some carries from Dixon
Share 49ersWebzone