LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Are We going to burn out Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love Frank Gore and understand that he is our Bellcow, but the coaching staff needs to sharing the load a little bit or he's gonna get burned out! Case and point, Clinton Portis..... Once an explosive back now is only a shell of himself. Now gore lost a lot of carries being injured while in college so he has a few more great years ahead of him. But if we keep pounding him like we do..... He might be washed up before we no it. We have great depth at RB so lets utilize our other weapons...
The more touches Gore gets, the better he gets. Gore wants to play so let the man play.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
The more touches Gore gets, the better he gets. Gore wants to play so let the man play.

This.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I love Frank Gore and understand that he is our Bellcow, but the coaching staff needs to sharing the load a little bit or he's gonna get burned out! Case and point, Clinton Portis..... Once an explosive back now is only a shell of himself. Now gore lost a lot of carries being injured while in college so he has a few more great years ahead of him. But if we keep pounding him like we do..... He might be washed up before we no it. We have great depth at RB so lets utilize our other weapons...

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Gore's career workload has been fairly moderate in part because of the minor injuries that have caused him to miss a couple games each year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We've only played 2 games. Frank didn't get many carries in the Seattle blowout so he still fresh. Maybe later in the season we can think about spelling him a little, but right now is when he's at his best.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

This.
Every other team in the league understands you need to use 2 or 3 RBs so maybe these coaches will pick up on that someday.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Every other team in the league understands you need to use 2 or 3 RBs so maybe these coaches will pick up on that someday.

Not every other team in the league has a top five RB like Gore. With Westbrook and Dixon, we have good depth at RB if needed.
It seems like we ask this question every year and for some reason he always gets tagged with having the injury bug. Compared to backs that have been burned out over the past decade, Gore hasn't even come close to the amount of touches. Keep in mind that gore has only crossed the 300 touch mark once in his career. And as Frank told reporters a few weeks ago when asked about "Roger Craig telling him to share the load" that he runs with a style that doesn't allow defenders to land big shots on him and he always keeps his pads low.

So no, as long as he stays with around 20 touches a game he will be fine and even that's a stretch because if gore has 20+ touches in a game that means we have the game in control, if we are behind than Gore's touches go down by at lest 30%, and if we have the game in hand I would say thats when you will see them introduce Anthony Dixon into the mix.
[ Edited by 49Gorillas on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM ]

That's true. But when you have an elite back, the normally compelling argument for running back by committee loses a lot of its persuasiveness.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

That's true. But when you have an elite back, the normally compelling argument for running back by committee loses a lot of its persuasiveness.

Like in Minnesota.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Like in Minnesota.

Dude the way Petterson runs, he Will Not last very long. I loooove watching him run, he's demonic, barbaric, just nasty. But running like that, always delivering the blow will take it's toll. Same thing goes for Gore. I just want to see Gore last for more than 7 or 8 seasons..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by mayo63:

Like in Minnesota.

Dude the way Petterson runs, he Will Not last very long. I loooove watching him run, he's demonic, barbaric, just nasty. But running like that, always delivering the blow will take it's toll. Same thing goes for Gore. I just want to see Gore last for more than 7 or 8 seasons..

What's Peterson, 23 or 24, once he hit's 28, 29 then you can start worrying about him wearing down. Him and Frank are in their prime, let them run.
Frank Gore will run until his legs fall off... Given that, we should rotate in
Dixon and Westbrook to keep Frank Gore Fresh, and to keep defenses on
their collective toes... Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't
already seen Westbrook in on 3rd downs as a pass receiver out of the
backfield, and Dixon late in games to pound a tired defense... Just my
humble opinion..

A9R4Life
Share 49ersWebzone